Let's Talk Baseball

Royals_Mets_Baseball_51682

Dr. K had his number retired, man his early years were out of this world - I wish he’d have kept himself clean, he would have been a HOFer for sure.

On this day, appropriately, a pitching duel, with José Buttó shining bright for the Mets with a career high in SO (9 of them). The team brought in a couple of runs in the 8th to seal the deal and win it (though with all those bases loaded scenarios, they really should have blown the doors off this thing).

But a good win on a happy day for Gooden and Mets fans. :clap:

1 Like

Angels still haven’t won a series against a non Miami team and already lose a season series to Boston.

It Doesnt Even Matter Anymore Jessica Chastain GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

Phillies just can’t seem to win 2 in a row, first day with nice weather and they get crushed by the Pirates. At least they haven’t been losing more than 2 in a row so are 8 and 8.

1 Like

We looked so good in that first game against the Bluejays, and then couldn’t keep it going. Dropped two of the three games in the series.

On to Pittsburg for a three game stretch against the Phillies.

1 Like

The Mets reached .500 for the first time this year with a win against the Pirates. 8 wins in their last 11 - onward and upward, I hope.

2 Likes

Mariners put together a rock-solid game, brought in a season high 9 runs. A day ago I was listening to them on the radio, and they were talking about smoke entering the stadium, turns out a car was on fire nearby.

I didn’t want to overload the “in memoriam” thread with baseball figures, but the Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Carl Erskine also passed away today.

3 Likes

Canzone is hurt so they called up the kid, our 10th ranked prospect. Yesterday he got his first hit and RBI in the majors, today, a double and another RBI. And the Mariners win their first series of the season (tomorrow we go for the sweep)

As for the Mets, an inning full of runs was all they needed to get above 500.

Not a comprehensive search, but I think there are only 4 people living who played for the Brooklyn Dodgers:
Bob Aspromonte (1 AB in '56, then played '60-'71)
Fred Kipp (1 game, 4 IP in '57, only pitched in 47 games over 4 years)
Jim Gentile (4 games, 7 PA in 57, but an all-star '60-'63 with Baltimore)
Sandy Koufax (!)

2 Likes

Yes. Erskine was the last of the classic “Boys of Summer”.

1 Like

SWEEPS for both the Mets and Mariners!

Bryce Miller a 1 hit outing for Seattle - it’s weird how he and Logan have become our aces, when our supposed aces faltered. If the other 2 get back on track, our starting pitching’s going to be incredible and the thing that carries us.

Mets, I haven’t checked out the highlights yet, so I don’t know how that win came about, but what a wonderful couple of series for my 2 M’s.

Homers by Marte and Bader for the Mets, another good start by Severino who’s been doing well (still has Yankee stink on him, though) and the untouchable bullpen.
The Pirates made a load of mental mistakes all through the series.
It’s early of course, but the Mets are in a playoff spot at the moment.

2 Likes

Looking like the Phillies will sweep the Rockies, riding some really good starting pitching the last few nights, then the White Sox come into town for the weekend so that better be another sweep.

1 Like

SIGH.

I’m already seeing columns in the national press that we are on track for another 100+ loss season. Someone. ANYONE buy this team! We need someone who cares about baseball, not prestige running things.

1 Like

I spoke too soon, top of the 8th the Phillies bullpen gave up 5 runs, now 7 to 6 Phillies lead.

1 Like

No lead is safe at Coors Field. That’s the mantra of Rockies fans. LOL!

1 Like

Watched my highlights, and interesting that both my teams were down 1-0, before storming back.

Rookie Jonatan Clase for the Mariners struck out twice, but did get a hit, and his first stolen base, and then scored on a single. The guy runs like the wind, the throw to home had zero chance of catching him. I wonder if he has a nickname yet. I’ll call him Servo, because he’s the wind, baby.

1 Like

The Mets are the only team to have played every game against teams that are over .500 and still be over .500 themselves. The Mariners are next closest among such teams, at 9-10.

Mets play the Dodgers next, and the Mariners play the Rockies.

2 Likes

Phillies do hold on to win and sweep the Rockies.

1 Like

Fans petitioning the Braves to sign Gary Cooper to a 1 day contract so he qualifies for his pension

3 Likes