Lurid Pulp Covers

Another annoying one, although at least it has a tenuous connection to the book.

3 Likes

I remember seeing a video on that book and there was a comment in there that the basic premise would be a neat way to explore the meaning of gender that unfortunately gets ruined by virtue of the fact that it was written by Heinlein. (Yes, the way you get rid of gay men is by becoming manlier. That makes lots of sense.)

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not a huge Heinlein fan, I just think that cover is lurid for no reason other than sales of a book which is not really about having naked fun times in a pool in front of some spirally tower thing.

That said, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is pretty good because it’s mostly just an American Revolution allegory and there was not much Heinlein could do to implement his fascism-lite ideas.

Do not read Starship Troopers. Watch the movie, which totally mocks the book.

2 Likes

I get angry enough watching the movie. I can’t imagine reading/watching a straight version. Read Bill, the Galactic Hero instead.

3 Likes

Oh the book is straight up fascist. Like “you shouldn’t get to vote unless you’re in the military” fascist.

1 Like

I have had a few annoyances when talking about Starship Troopers because people seem to miss this part. The movie is the way it is explicitly because of the thing that it’s adapting. But when people see other adaptations, they get confused because “well that’s not what the movie was like”; that’s like half the point, the rights holders didn’t like the movie because they liked the book.

3 Likes

I don’t know why I love this one, but I do.

2 Likes

Looks like it should be another Mamie Van Doren film.

4 Likes

I just assumed it was the novelization of “Girls’ Town” which they decided “Well, hell, it’s not like calling it ‘Girls’ Town’ is going to move any books.”

2 Likes

Girls Town already sounds like the name of a magazine.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why I’m surprised that the results I got for searching “Lust Camp” were entirely useless, but I am.

3 Likes

Impossible archaeological task: Determine how many books have been called Lust Camp over the years.

3 Likes

Actually, the first result was for a visual novel, so…

1 Like

There’s some amazing stuff on Pinterest.

3 Likes

What sort of office do you work at?

4 Likes

And are they hiring?

3 Likes

MOD HAT: Hey everybody, it’s getting dangerously spicy in here. Please take it down a notch for family-friendly purposes.

Thanks for your cooperation!

4 Likes