Lurid Pulp Covers

5 Likes

“You thought the cover art related to the story.”

4 Likes

Truth. Half of this book is his screenplay for the Katherine Dunn novel Geek Love.

4 Likes

Mondays. Whatya gonna do?

Seriously, the name seemed so on the nose I had to check, and this was a real magazine.

3 Likes

That magazine is still in publication, but now it’s called The Incel Quarterly.

3 Likes

This for the record is false. It ceased publication in 1964.

1 Like

I remember the great bosom hoax. All those fake bosoms…

2 Likes

So Harry Anderson had another side gig besides his standup act and sitcom roles.

2 Likes

I figured the “you bought this for all the wrong reasons” line was a hint that it was actually about magic tricks.

2 Likes

Yeah, the first half is a magic book. The second half is a screenplay.

2 Likes

So… why do men hate women?

Here’s the cover illustration from a book I’m sure a few people here have actually read. Based on this image, can you guess the book?

Answer:

Summary

4 Likes

So I take it that’s supposed to be… CABOT!

3 Likes

I’ve read enough about the Gor series to not want to read it.

1 Like

I don’t know… it gets 3.52 stars on Goodreads…

I hear Leonard Maltin liked it.

Edit: Linked the wrong book.

This one always really annoyed me. It was the copy I had too.

4 Likes

I was guessing it was a John Carter book. Shows what I know.

3 Likes

Because our power structures are currently built on the idea that somebody needs to suffer, apparently?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s the prose, but when I read this, I could only see Ed Wood in a wig. Nothing at all like the cover. Hell, the character’s name may actually be Glenda. (I read this one and one other…Death of a Transvestite…wait, checks…it’s Killer in Drag where the main character is Glen/da.)

In situations where large rockets may burst from the TV screen, a lady does not wear an easily dishiveled wraparound.

Somebody needed to say to the artist: “Look, kid, Frazetta doesn’t have to read the book. You have to read the book.”

2 Likes

Burying us up to our neck in the desert and siccing cobras on us doesn’t help.

“Oh, good, a distraction from my junk.”

2 Likes