Mid-Month Viewing Party Anyone? >>> POD PEOPLE OPEN THREAD - 20 MAY 5pm PST / 8pm EST

If we wanted to use Turkey Day as a barometer of what episodes have been featured more than others, there’s a thread for that:

5 Likes

Ooh, good call. I haven’t actually hosted any kind of viewing party and have no idea what I’m doing, I’m just really enjoying breaking up the pandemic monotony with a MST3K event once every few weeks (or more frequently if possible)! I hadn’t really thought about people getting fussy about it since the goal was just to have a little fun as a community. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The fun part will be when the Screening Bunker upgrades are finished and everyone will be able to set up their own private watch parties inside the Gizmoplex.

7 Likes

The impromptu gathering for City Limits went exceptionally well. I would totally be down for another!

8 Likes

Ever so slightly less than impromptu since we’re talking about like 3 weeks out, but… Adult spontaneity ftw…? O_o

6 Likes

Which vault pick are we watching together next week, MSTIES?

3 Likes

I vote Pod People, only because I remember a few of us wondered about a tribute episode of its own in the live thread.

That, and there’s plenty of flying over trout with the wind in your eyes, while searching for a clown in the sky. I heard it stinks!

7 Likes

I second this vote. All in favor say Aye!

6 Likes

it stinks mystery science theater 3000 GIF

9 Likes

Pod People is a legendary episode and a sentimental favorite. It was the very first one I watched, after all!

I would totally be in favor!

8 Likes

Second one here, after Alien from L.A.!

And it was something of a chunk of time after that one. I caught Alien from L.A. on MTV’s Comedy Weekend promo event (purely by accident), and after everything I read about this series that I wanted to see, I FREAKED OUT.

I caught Pod People by accident, too, thanks to some late-night channel surfing and landing on a local Fox affiliate that happened to be playing the Mystery Science Theater Hour. Again, predictably, I FREAKED OUT.

Soft spot for both of them.

5 Likes

I had a similar experience but I don’t know what the actual episode was because I came across it in the middle of it. It was airing on Wisconsin PBS and I tried so hard to find it or figure out if it would be back the following week but that was before we had THE INTERNET :scream:

I know I started watching it when it was still on Comedy Central and I was all in when it came to Sci-Fi, never missing an episode. I sat there every week and recorded it on VHS, which is such a quaint idea these days. So thankful for the livestreams and The Gizmoplex so I can finally fill in any episodes I may have missed over the years.

6 Likes

Why not something less famous?

2 Likes

My plan was to rolld a d6 and let random chance choose the vault pick to watch per the discussion earlier here.

4 Likes

thanks for the link, i didn’t see that discussion before. honestly i’m up for anything (but i’m planning to rewatch Werewolf and Pod People by the end of the month).

4 Likes

Eh, you’d have to look explicitly I think. But yeah, asked like 10 days ago so let’s merge these parties!

2 Likes

Oh, wow, on PBS, no less? That’s awesome!

Glad you were able to find the show! (And yeah, same boat where the internet’s concerned.)

You’re lucky! I wish I had Comedy Central when MST3K was running. We didn’t have that, but we DID have Sci-Fi Channel, and like yourself, I didn’t miss a single episode. Still have the video tapes!

And to have resources like these livestreams and the Gizmoplex is like a slice of fried gold for the MSTie community!

5 Likes

“keep circulating the tapes!”

I have a couple official VHS and box sets and some DVD sets but the ones I recorded myself are extra sentimental. I recorded some with commercials and some where I stopped and started at each break, but now the original commercials are part of the experience!

I just realized the vault pix include Gamera, too, and I already watched The Killer Shrews and Beginning of the End. So many good choices! There was some discussion in the thread to open it up to viewing outside the vault but I like the idea of checking out the bits they added in before they disappear at the end of the month. No matter what is chosen I’ll join in. Any way to start a poll?

4 Likes

I still have a couple space consuming boxes full of MST3K VHS tapes from local syndication, Sci-Fi and Rhino that I refuse to throw out. They are very sentimental to me too!

4 Likes
Vault Picking for May 20 (?) Viewing party
  • The Killer Shrews
  • King Dinosaur
  • Gamera
  • Werewolf
  • Pod People
  • Beginning of the End
  • Random pick

0 voters

4 Likes