MST3K Episodes Featuring A-Listers in Strange Roles

McCallum has done a number of well-known series over the years. Ducky in NCIS is his best-known recent role and likely his last as he’s not getting any younger.

4 Likes

Although it was on RiffTrax, I had a hard time watching 15 time Academy Award nominee, Hollywood legend actor/director John Huston in The Bermuda Triangle.

4 Likes

That was painful. Right on par with Orson Welles slumming it in later life.

Incidentally, the book Picture by Lillian Ross is an amazing read. A fascinating window into Huston and company.

Picture-LillianRoss

4 Likes

:wink: I thought it might be a joke, but you played the straight man so well, I wasn’t sure. I couldn’t figure out how to add the “The Sting” at the end.

3 Likes

He will always be Illya Kuryakin. :slight_smile: (Loved that line in NCIS where Kate asks Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man. That was Gibbs’ answer.)

2 Likes

Just gonna stan here for Bea Arthur as the Master Ninja.

4 Likes

How about Abby Dalton in the Viking Women movie? Not sure if this before or after she was on the Joey Bishop Show, but having her in a sword and sandal movie would have been odd.

1 Like

Would Maria Bamford playing fiddle off screen in a Bloodlust host segment count as an A-lister in a strange role?

4 Likes

no, that’s a host segment, not the movie.
Would like to see her do that, though

1 Like

I’d pay good money to see Bea Arthur as pretty much anyone. The Master, Mitchell, Rowsdower, even Big McLargeHuge.

3 Likes

Oh man, Bea Arthur as Rowsdower. That’s gold right there.

“God’ll get you for that, Troy.”

4 Likes

Bea Arthur in Laserblast!

But would she be nerdy Billy, bully Chuck…or an alien?

3 Likes

Definitely a turtle alien. Estelle Getty could be the other one.

3 Likes

I mean, are we talking “Golden Girls” origin story or a shocking twist ending a la “The Colby’s”?

'cause I’m on board either way!

1 Like

Then he was a struggling actor and not an A-Lister and someone liked his face. There’s a separation between taking any break offered and an established name accepting a part that is ill-suited or clashing with their ongoing body of work.

1 Like

GREAT STORY. Anything of interest he said on the drive in? Just curious. Thanks!

Not an A lister anymore but it was tough to see Graham Green in Atlantic Rim. I wonder if he ever got his bull butter…

2 Likes

We only got to hear her do it, not see it, unfortunately.

4 Likes

Pretty sure Bea would have kicked Lee Van Cleef from LA to Shanghai if she had a mind to.

4 Likes