Our very special guest star...

MST3K has had several guests appear in episodes: Mark Hamill, Neil Patrick Harris, Wil Wheaton, Seinfeld, Leonard Maltin, etc. Which has been your favorite?

If you could choose someone to make a guest appearance in MST3K, who would you choose? What would you want them to do?

My favorite is Mark Hamill and I hope he comes back sometime as a foil for an episode. I’d love former and/or current horror/B-movie/sci-fi TV hosts appear in an episode. It’d be fun if they were in an ‘experiment reunion’ or something, implying they’ve all been part of experiments by or at least similar to the Forresters’. Svengoolie would be a great one, for instance.

10 Likes

Several more serious names come to mind, like Bill Nye, Elon Musk, Neil deGrasse Tyson…

But I’d love to see Nick Offerman. He’s got that special humor that just tickles me.

edit: I’d want him to build a chair for Tom Servo.

14 Likes

George Takei. Preferably in a villain role. Oh myyyyyy.

18 Likes

I really liked the Mark Hamill and Neil Patrick Harris appearances. Maltin was a lot of fun, too. They had good guests on the Turkey Day marathons as well (Adam West, Beverly Garland, Mamie Van Doren, Robert Vaughn).

Some special appearances I’d like to see include Joe Estevez, Chris Lemmon, Phil Proctor, and Kevin McDonald. And I still want Frank Dietz to appear in a guest role. It would be truly awesome if they could get Elvira, of course!

11 Likes

My absolute favorite George Takei cameo was the “Bendee Boo and the Mystery Crew” sub-episode of Futurama S07E19, which also happened to feature several Larry Birds

7 Likes

I’d love it if they brought Leonard Maltin back as a guest villain.

8 Likes

I rather like that Takei was a villain in “Adventure Time.” I do wish he’d gotten to do something in his final appearance though. Maybe they brought him back for something in the comics…

5 Likes

Man, there’s so many great suggestions…Nick Offerman, George Takei, a Kid From The Hall…

I really dug Mark Hamill’s appearance. I mean, it’s Mark Hamill. I also really thought it was cool to have Leonard Maltin - and cool of him to appear.

The first person I thought of as a guest was Bruce Dern. He understands being trapped in space with his robot friends. Maybe on one of the experiments with Joel :grinning:

11 Likes

Oo, yes! He could be head of Quality Control (or lack thereof) in vetting films for flushing to the theatre. :laughing:

Maltin: “I give this movie five skulls!”

7 Likes

While I really loved Mark Hamill’s special guest turn in Carnival Magic, I just find something so special (and whimsical) about Leonard Maltin’s guest role in Gorgo.

Also, I have to say, I’m really surprised that Maltin agreed to that after both the Laserblast two-and-a-half star running gag and that bit in The Undead where Servo gets Mike to portray Maltin for a prepared apology.

So, for guest stars I’d like to see? It would be great to see Weird Al have some involvement in a future season… maybe as someone who has it out for movie music?

You know what’s really been fun? Watching The Last Drive-In on Shudder, so it would be cool to see Joe Bob and Darcy brought onto MST3K in some capacity.

And as @EBK said, the return of Leonard Maltin as a guest villain would be terrific!

11 Likes

Also, I still like Paul Reubens and think he’d make a nice cameo.

12 Likes

It’d be great if they riffed a musical and that episode had Weird Al!!!

13 Likes

One of the positives about this Gizmoplex thing is that the MST3K gang seems to have more creative freedom in choosing the movies they want to go with (as opposed to Netflix’s executive meddling). With that in mind, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that they could go with a musical… and wouldn’t it be amazing to have Weird Al attached to that episode somehow?

Weird Al has collaborated with the RiffTrax gang before. An MST3K collaboration wouldn’t be too farfetched, especially since the role of Philo in UHF was written with Joel Hodgson in mind!

13 Likes

Mark Hamill is the favorite…

Have already suggested JoCo as a future guest/cameo? (Preferably leading the SoL crew in a cover of “Creepy Doll”)

Yes, I’m weird.

Sorry.

7 Likes

Trying to think of riffable musicals or musical-adjacent films…

• Robin Hood: Men in Tights
  • Cannibal! The Musical
  • The Producers
  • ???
5 Likes

Blockquote

I have personally riffed Repo: The Genetic Opera. A ringing phone in the audience near the end unglued everyone. :laughing:

2 Likes

The Muppets.

10 Likes

I’d love to see Alex Winter selling music lessons

6 Likes

I’d have to say Bret McKenzie or Jemaine Clement. Especially if either of them wanted to do a song. For some reason, the New Zealand sense of humor seems to be very close to that of the guys in Minnesota.

I figure it’s only a matter of time before we get Kate Micucci and/or Riki Lindhome from Garfunkel and Oates on the show, considering that they’ve helped out on both fundraising streams and are fellow Abominable Pictures buddies.

8 Likes

me too.
He could play a good-natured satellite repair tech who knows interesting trivia about every film. But, when invited to stay and watch the experiment, his smile disappears and he mumbles some excuses before hastily escaping.

5 Likes