MST3K IN DEPTH: The Wild World of Movie Rights

:thinking:

But did Mr. Cage ever attend Castleton?

I can dig where some of these rights holders are coming from. Reactions from the cast and crew of Time Chasers were mixed on MST3K taking on their movie.

When I shared word of MakeMoreMST3K’s Kickstarter, there were people who were skeptical of all the money needed; they asked why not just use public domain movies.

This answers that question.

3 Likes

i think it was sandy frank?

2 Likes

this is prob a long shot, but reallyyyyy hoping the ‘good/bad’ movie is either indiana jones 4, poltergeist, or gremlins 2.

1 Like

Now I have an image stuck in my head of Nicolas Cage delivering the Time Chasers fight scene line, “You wanna fly? Let’s fly!”

3 Likes

I do recall the director confirming that the line “These are the director’s friends who owned suits” was entirely accurate.

2 Likes

I feel like the savvy ones would embrace the MSt3K treatment.

4 Likes

There is probably a measurable effect of MST3K turning movies nobody cares about into cash cows, at least in the eyes of some.

7 Likes

And then you get people like one person who holds the rights to several currently unreleased MST3K movies who are convinced they’re sitting on a gold mine consisting of their rights to old mediocre movies and everyone’s lowballing them on the licensing deals on purpose.

5 Likes

Now, I’m interested in checking out the Peanut Butter Solution for myself…

Great piece!

4 Likes

If you’ve seen it and Things, you start to get a different idea of what the heck is going on in Canada than you might have imagined. . .

2 Likes

I love the Future War episode so much. While the riffs are merciless, the movie itself is so painfully earnest that I can’t help but enjoy it.

4 Likes

I was particularly sorry to read that it’s so burdensome to get the live shows taped and released for posterity… but I love you for trying.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Getting rights is fascinating, and I just would like to add that I am thrilled that you got a Gamera film. Sitting through 14 minutes of uncut monster fight is worth it in my book.

5 Likes

I have certainly seen The Touch of Satan, Space Mutiny, and Cry Wilderness more times than I ever would have without MST3K. :smiley:

9 Likes

For some reason, I think it would actually end up sounding a lot the same. :slight_smile:

Read the update, and it got me wondering…how does Rifftrax do Titanic, Twilight, Face/Off, and a million other very big name movies?

2 Likes

RiffTrax only does companion audio tracks for those big titles—the video isn’t included, so there’s nothing to license.

6 Likes

Ah…got it, thanks.

1 Like

I think that Gremlins 2 is a meta masterpiece before “meta” was a thing. And the titular gremlins are even more gremlin-y! (“Please…don’t mention Lincoln!”)

3 Likes