MST3K in Other Media

I think that Tom is based on his beeper appearance in that star wars comic…

3 Likes

I didn’t know that tag and bink was by the guy who did troops…

(Personally I always thought of Tag and Bink as like the Forrest Gump of Star Wars…

Side note, I found out they were going to be referenced in Solo, but that scene got cut.

3 Likes

@MichaelRobertson
If I remember correctly Pony Fantasy 6 also has MST3k references, Pinkie Pie mentioned going to a movie and three guys in the front talked through the whole thing, (I think they also referenced the infamous mike v joel debate)

Some Others I can think of would be in Phineas and Ferb:

So, tell me tell you my evil scheme. Not too long ago, I used to sit down right over there to watch free movies on the drive-in movie screen across the street. Of course, I didn’t get the sound, so I made up my own dialogue. It was fun!

Not exactly a direct reference but I think they did a sillouette shot in that scene

The Manos video game has References to both MST3K directly and to other cheesy movies that were riffed on MST3k,

This one is actually more of a coincidence, but in the gift shop at Dinoland USA in the Animal Kingdom, They have movie posters for Beast of Hollow Mountain, Lost Continent, King Dinosaur, and others (It’s actually just because they had to find movies that they could put posters of without having to pay too much money)

4 Likes

I’ve been organizing my comic collection and I came across this trade paperback. I don’t recall if I’ve read it, but I’m pretty sure I knew what inspired me to buy it.

5 Likes

Not strictly an MST3K reference, but I did spot both PT Mindslap and TV’s Son of TV’s Frank in the new video for George Harrison’s My Sweet Lord

5 Likes

They did. It was the Zozo clock tower question where you had to choose either host, but with pony-ified names. “Foal Hodgeson” was Joel. I can’t recall Mike’s (other than they changed his last name) of the top of my head, though.

3 Likes

Wow! That was amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!

5 Likes

More an homage than a reference, but the Youtube channel Retsupurae would comment over bad video game longplays and let’s plays, as well as oddball kickstarter campaigns. It was typically two guys, but periodically there would be three or more.

They don’t do it anymore cuz some people took their riffing as a reason to be douchebags to the people who were riffed, but man were they good. Video game MST3K (and both of them are MSTies, as are at least a couple of their occasional guests)

3 Likes

I’m surprised nobody mentioned Nicki Minaj’s video for Anaconda!

5 Likes

How about an indirect reference?

You don’t have to guess where it’s from (Day 5, episode 202), but some easy bonus points for guessing why it is a reference (even though it probably isn’t one on purpose).

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it and I have a hard time seeing the Venn diagram of MSTies and Nicki Minaj fans.

3 Likes

Requesting a screenshot or timecode. Quickly scrubbed across what I presume is the official video and didn’t see a MST3K reference made.

5 Likes

Sorry, I thought I uploaded a picture but it didn’t work, apparently. Here’s a blurb about it on MTV.com:

I first came across it from music youtuber Todd in the Shadows who said (about 3 minutes in) that he was the only person on the planet who cared about Nicki Minaj AND mst3k: POP SONG REVIEW: "Anaconda" by Nicki Minaj - YouTube

I swear this isn’t an eggnog induced hallucination!

7 Likes

I’d forgotten about that one, but I remember being happy to hear he was a MSTie when I watched that review (IIRC, he identified the silhouettes as “Mike and the bots,” so I guess he-like me-discovered the show later in its original run)

7 Likes

He also had a reference to the “Tusk!” joke from Werewolf when he was reviewing a very early career Madonna movie.
Edit: It was A Certain Sacrifice.

5 Likes

I KNOW he made a “When Loving Lovers Love” joke in a video, but damned if I can remember which one.

8 Likes

I have no idea if I was imagining things, but I remember watching a television program in my Spanish class and I swear I saw an MST3K episode in the background of one episode.

5 Likes

Mysterio Scientifico Theatrico 3000o?

6 Likes

I was being busy and put on Space Ghost: Coast to Coast for background noise and lo, why did I find?

Oh yeah

19 Likes

What were they watching? This looks awesome.

4 Likes