MST3K in Other Media

I grew up with Space Quest so it really warms my heart to see such a reference in its spiritual successor.

Shame there couldn’t be a back and forth exchange of references like with The Simpsons and Arrested Development.

4 Likes

Gamera was mentioned in this manga page.

8 Likes

FTW it’s from My Hero Academia: Vigilantes. I believe either Volume 2 or 3.

3 Likes

I mean, there’s no shortage of Gamera references in Japanese pop culture. He shows up in Dragonball as Master Roshi’s mode of transportation in his second appearance (and then he gets sick from all the spinning).

6 Likes

And also found this: there’s a moment in this video where the presenter is talking about the shift from stage to screen. In the little doodle in the corner the actor is depicted giving Cambot’s introduction. (Cambot! Pan left!)

4 Likes

If we’re talking Gamera, Supergirl and Stargirl fight a Gamera expy in Season 3 of Justice League Unlimited.

3 Likes

The Gravity Falls one might still be my favorite. Technically, although I didn’t know it at the time, my first exposure to MST3K was the TV in Moe’s Tavern on The Simpsons.

5 Likes

The movies are OK but I preferred his stage work

5 Likes

I like Noh theater.

7 Likes

Third base.

5 Likes

It appears we also have an unintentional reference to werewolves.

3 Likes

This isn’t exactly MST3K in other media, but this is the most appropriate place to put this.

While we’re at it, we can throw Giant Spider Invasion in with other 1970s “animal panic” movies. Setsuo Tanabe did a 40-page adaptation for the September 1976 issue of Champion . Since the actual film is pretty hokey, there’s a good chance kids who went to the cinema based on the manga were let down. I do like the was Tanabe draws the sheriff character, though.

5 Likes

Well, it certainly improves your drama quotient when your spider isn’t a Volkswagen in a fursuit.

So, The Exorcist, Jaws, and…The Giant Spider Invasion. So either they churned out something for absolutely every single movie they could get their hands on, or there were some interesting editorial choices going on.

3 Likes

Think it was Ultraseven.

2 Likes

In a season 8 episode of Entourage, a film is mentioned with the title Cave Dwellers, to star Taylor Lautner. In an earlier episode, East Meets Watts is playing on a tv. And RiffTrax contributor Janet Varney is in three episodes of the show.

3 Likes

index
Then there was the It’s Always Sunny episode where Mac claimed he invented MST3K.
I thought it was interesting that Charlie on Sunny’s favorite food is Milk Steak (with a side of jelly beans), and on the Day Time Ended episode we get the running joke about Steak Milk. Then this Sunny episode comes out a few months later. Coincidence?

12 Likes

Was watching the one-time RedLetterMedia “Best of the Worst” inductee, Clash in the College, and, to my surprise, a character wears an MST3K shirt during a random scene. It’s like Philip Narsh knew what kind of movie he was a part of…:thinking:

Img_2022_11_29_20_35_15-01

Part of me wants to see Clash in the College get a Rifftrax just to see the reaction it’ll get (its content is likely too inappropriate for MST3K itself).

11 Likes

Not sure what thread is most appropriate for this, but thought I’d add another:

Nick Prueher from Found Footage Festival, on this week’s “VCR Party Live” show, mentioned that he was once a PA on MST3K under Beez McKeever - he shared a video Beez posted and played it on the show this week.

I have a feeling he’s mentioned this before, and he’s likely been in the credits, but this is the first time I’ve heard it and it caught me completely off guard.

No surprise considering the ties both shows have to Minnesota and Wisconsin…but whoa, the fact MST3K and FFF are connected in some way is wild.

(Tagging @CLANG_Potroast due to Found Footage Fest mention :wink:)

7 Likes

IMDb confirms. On the page for Nick Prueher, his filmography for Additional Crew lists 7 episodes of MST3K as an intern.

7 Likes

Back when I posted that, I didn’t know the artist of that comic, Mike Norton, was doing art for the Gizmoplex (standees and such) - so that’s a neat connection.

Speaking of comics, Safe Havens… which got the positions wrong on the shadowrama, but still…

8 Likes