MST3K Tanka Thread

Roused by @optiMSTie’s example, shall we expand our Japanese poetry to the next level? The tanka style involves five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second line, five syllables in the third line, seven syllables in the fourth line, and seven syllables in the fifth and final line.

A tanka doesn’t need to rhyme, and punctuation/capitalization are entirely up to you. Here’s an sample of a MST3K-based tanka:

Torgo? Ladies man?
His hand feeling all around
The wives are not pleased
Especially The Master
We may have to massage him

Good luck and have fun!!!

6 Likes

I’ve gotta’ fly or
Frank will take my soul. Someday
We’ll meet again and
You’ll be a man who gets that
Bacon can’t replace duct tape

4 Likes

Those giant spiders
Have invaded this gal’s heart.
Drive through the streets, wave
Your legs, and yell Packers but
Please don’t roll on me again.

3 Likes

Santo. Oh Santo
Fight a vamp for me. Wrestle
Men day after day
And send my Mom to TV
Daytime soaps? No Prime Time?

4 Likes

There is a turtle.
Gamera is his name. Shell.
He is filled with meat.
A good friend to children. Neat.
Kenny and Tibby love him.

Hope I got this right. :blush:

5 Likes

I think it’s fine but then I realized I had the count out of whack. So I just fixed mine for about the 12th or 13th time.

3 Likes

I’ts good, it’s good. But you’re gonna have to prove to me bacon cannot substitute duct tape! :bacon:

2 Likes

It is explained in Soultaker that Mike tried to fix part of the ship using strips of bacon. (And also, elsewhere: he can’t build robots.)

2 Likes

Well, let me tell ya something there, 'roast… there’s mos def something strips of bacon can fix.

My tummy.

3 Likes

First, at Gizmonics
We worked hard as janitors
Until WHAM! Surprise!
We wake up amongst the stars
Now Joe Don Baker haunts us

6 Likes

Really good Emily. NAILED IT!!!

3 Likes

優しい人
場所を掃除する
船の友達
映画を見ます
次の日曜日

I think I got the beats correct. I have very limited Japanese. Just learned the word for cleaning yesterday.

4 Likes

Wow impressive

2 Likes

The thread caused me to look up some stuff, because the Japanese language phonetic structure is a bit different than English, and I wasn’t sure that syllables would make much sense. I believe they use “length of pronunciation” or “beats”.

As an example, in English “Tokyo” would count as 3 syllables. In Japanese it’s written 東京 which is phonetically written as とうきょう and sounds like Tōkyō where each of the ōs are pronounced over two beats and the y is not really a syllable, so its 4 beats in Japanese.

Also, I believe the character ん which mostly sounds like an n counts as a beat. So something like tempura in English which is 3 syllables would be てんぷら in Japanese and count as 4 beats.

From what I have read the rules for haikus and such are a bit weirder when converted to German and French, but I haven’t looked into it too much.

雨の日は
動画を見ます
友達と

2 Likes

Robot Wars was dull
Another mech on the hull
Diet Robocop?
No quality and half the
Scenes? I want my money back!

1 Like

Beyond Atlantis
Margaret Keane: The Movie