Mystery Science Pathfinder 3000 - A Play by Post RPG Campaign

The chunks of meat are probably right on the limit of mage hand, however, the hooked barbs would prevent mage hand from pulling them off.

1 Like

Can we see the bottom of the pit?

1 Like

Can someone shine a light down that hole? Does it lead to a room, or is it just a narrow pit? What happens to unlucky grimlocks who fall through?

1 Like

You canā€™t really see the pit at all, Johnny just knows it is there.

1 Like

How hard would it be to get past the pit by going diagonally? Presumably the grimlocks have already thought of that.

1 Like

Ugā€™lok-go is not sure what you are talking about.

Remember, you canā€™t actually see the pit, it can only be seen if the trap is sprung. You are relying on Johnnyā€™s description of how it works. Presumably, a Grimlock who had figured out the trap previously would be loathe to reveal the secret, as providing more meat would mean a better chance of escaping death or doom.

1 Like

We know the trapdoor opens if we remove the meat from the hooks, so we might be okay if we leave the meat alone.

There appears to be a door in the south end of the meat trap. Does Ugā€™lok-go know what is on the other side of that door?

He does not, no Grimlock has been able to get through that door, which is also steel.

1 Like

Would it be easy to step from the door to the squares on either side of the door, or would that require a jump and a DEX check?

Anyway, can Johnny stand in the doorway and give a visual scan of the room to see if there look to be any other traps? I assume whomever sets out the meat and re-sets the trap comes through that door in the south wall.

Maybe we should trip the trapdoor from a safe distance and see what weā€™re looking at? Itā€™s probably not just a pit or it would be filled with dead grimlocks by now. Maybe it leads somewhere down on the next level?

1 Like

It would require a DEX check, but the target would be fairly low. Johnny is relatively sure, however, that the trap is only activated by removing meat from a hook. He does note that both doors to the room have locks. Ugā€™lok-go also tells you that occasionally the door on this side closes, and remains closed for about a day. This only occurs after the meat is removed, or after 2 or 3 grimlocks are caught in the trap.

1 Like

He canā€™t scan the entire room, it is too large, but the 10ā€™ he can see contains no other traps.

1 Like

If the door closes after several grimlocks have fallen, maybe the ā€œsuperintendentā€ closes the door to fish them out and dispose of them. (Or make them into more meat?)

Are there any sturdy slabs of metal or wood that could be used to make a bridge?

(Also, how did the ā€œFoul Onesā€ cook their meat? Or didnā€™t they? And what was their source of water?)

1 Like

Thatā€™s The Great Dreamer looking out for me.

Or maybe we could not spring it at all? Clearly it is a deathtrap. LA is not a fan of intentionally springing a deathtrap.

1 Like

Nothing that is readily available on this level. The ā€˜sorting cageā€™ could likely be deconstructed, but it is not the most sturdy affair to begin with, and it is made from chain link.

Ugā€™lok-go says the gods provided water to them, and Big Boss Sees All distributed some of that water to the foul ones.

1 Like

Undoubtedly :butterfly:

2 Likes

Do the grimlocks not realize the pit is there? I assume they would watch when one of them would go for the meat and see what happened.

1 Like

They are kinda blindā€¦

ETA: at least the ā€˜foul onesā€™ are.

1 Like

If their blindsight isnā€™t enough to catch the trapdoor opening, it must close again by itself seconds after it springsā€¦ making it impossible for any survivors to climb out.

If the room appears to be trap-free other than the pit, Torgo could fly in, loosen the meat from the hooks, and then Bonnie could use mage hand to pull it into the room. Then the grimlocks would be set for food and drink for a little while, and we can all analyze the problem with full stomachs.

If Torgo is willing to do that, Bonnie will cast Resistance on him first, just in case.

2 Likes

It has been a long couple of days, and I did not get enough sleep last night, while getting plenty to drink. In other words, ā€œtime for go to bed.ā€

FYI - next weekend I will be even less available, I will be attending the local gaming convention, DieCon, and will not be online from Friday night through Sunday night. Summer weekends get that way for me.

2 Likes

Torgo is absolutely willing, however, Johnny does warn that removing even one hunk of meat from a hook will spring the trap.

1 Like