Netflix Stock Tumbling After Revealing A Loss Of 200,000 Subscribers.

Which is exactly where it came from. I watched Hulu when it first started and you had, I think, one quick ad break during the show. Then it became three. Then they started with the subscription and still kept the ads.

No.

5 Likes

My only objection to Plex is that theyā€™re moving further and further away from being a way to play your own media and more and more toward things that actually make money (lol).

2 Likes

We signed on as PLEX lifers years ago. The only thing I really use it for is watching my DVDs or listening to my music. I really donā€™t care about anything else. Thatā€™s what I have it for. Thatā€™s what I use it for.

They are trying to be a clearinghouse of sorts for all of your streaming services, showing you whatā€™s available and the like on the various platforms you subscribe to. Havenā€™t really played with that at all either.

4 Likes

Likewise. So Iā€™ve noticed all the issues that arenā€™t being addressed. Which, again, I understand. Youā€™ve got a bunch of lifers paying youā€¦nothing.

4 Likes

Iā€™m pulled in the dual directions of needing to clear out things to get more space and cleanliness, and thus better access to the most desirable things, vs. wanting to hold onto it all. Obviously you canā€™t do both at once. So I have to clear out things, with the knowledge that I can try to save them in non-corporeal forms but thatā€™s fraught with risk. When you ditch the solid form itā€™s best to treat that as a real goodbye. :confused: (Also support your local library, while itā€™s still standing.)

3 Likes

Binge watching seems to be a personal choice thing, more than most seem to think?

I think that it will also vary by show?

Probably just me but, I binged all of S1 of Mandalorian and most of S2 before getting ā€œcaught upā€œ and hating having to wait a whole week for more? And, based on what I heard from someone who binged the first few episodes of Moon Knight, thatā€™s a better experience/flow as well?

Ozark*, on the other hand? I canā€™t do more than two or three episodes at a time, without a change in ā€¦ scenery(?). Shrug. (Family members wanted to keep Netflix after MST3K was canceled, shrug. Iā€™d have rather purchased the seasons of Kimā€™s Convenience and Heartland on iTunes but what are you going to do?)

I think binging on shows will always depend more on the show and each individual taste/tolerance for injecting it all into their eyeballs at once. For most shows over the years, Iā€™ve found that I prefer binging three or four at a time. Wait, I hope Kinga doesnā€™t get any ideas from thatā€¦ :thinking:

3 Likes

The Office Yup GIF

2 Likes

My limit is 1.5 to 2 hours of whatever Iā€™m watching, per night. I might do 3 half-hour shows but only two full-hour shows. My brain just wonā€™t hold onto more than that. Iā€™ve tried.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that Netflix will lose a chunk of their userbase including those who canā€™t afford the monthly rate, but also donā€™t want the ads. I suspect that the international user population will take the bigger hit.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t this what happened with cable? It touted itself as ad-free at first, then eventually succumbed to advertising (minus the premium channels and TCM).

5 Likes

As Iā€™ve said elsewhere, the streaming companies and devices (and now TV manufacturers!) looked at the cable company model of ā€œforce people to pay for things they donā€™t want!ā€ and thought ā€œYeah, great idea! Everybody LOVES cable companies!ā€

3 Likes

Yeah, this is one thing that is really preventing me from even entertaining the idea of buying a new television. The idea that this product that I paid for (and paid a lot of money for) is now going to report to some clearing house what I watch so I can be fed adverts on the bloody screen?!

Hell No.

Iā€™ll do the same thing we did for the few years we had cable, never hook it up to a phone/internet connection.

3 Likes

Big, shiny TVs will get super-cheap (they are already in a lot of ways) and lure people in.

Iā€™m gonna bite the bullet and buy a big, dumb monitor. Itā€™s spendy relative to a TVā€”which is your first clue that theyā€™re already offsetting some of the costā€”but a monitor canā€™t spy on you.

3 Likes

My TV is just something to decorate the corner of my living room with now. I literally havenā€™t had it on sinceā€¦ maybe the series finale of The Good Place? Before the pandemic, anyway.

Everything I watch at home now, I watch on my computer. Streaming, and DVD. (I still have a DVD player in my computer.)

I would never, ever again accept advertising on a channel Iā€™m already paying for access to. Iā€™ll pay for the higher tier if the content is worth it to me. If not, Iā€™ll go without rather than watch ads.

4 Likes

Especially when the prices for everything are going up, and people need to reevaluate whatā€™s essential.

4 Likes

I hope this happens more and forces the mindless reboots and remakes and ā€œreimaginingsā€ to be rethought and actually good. I havenā€™t been to a movie in a theater in years (well before the pandemic) because there hasnā€™t been a movie I wanted to see. I watch almost no TV series because they donā€™t interest me. Honestly, the most TV I watch is cooking shows and remodeling shows. Oh, and the local morning news while Iā€™m exercising.

If people start saying, ā€œThis is expensive and it looks stupid. Why should I pay money to watch this?ā€ then maybe entertainment will become entertaining again.

6 Likes

Iā€™m casually acquainted with a local couple who collaborate on fun pop-fiction things. Theyā€™ve had a small but very loyal fanbase for decades of independent comics and graphic novels. People ask them all the time how it can be that their work hasnā€™t made it to movie studios. Their explanation when I last heard them speak is that money people only want known quantities. They only want to make more of what everyoneā€™s already used to. Which is really f-ing sad.

4 Likes

The tv I purchased was actually a 42" monitor that a hotel chain purchased in a lot of 3000 before going out of business. I got a really good deal on it through one of Tiger Directā€™s ā€œscratch-n-dentā€ sales.

2 Likes

Pre-crazy, I could count the number of movies I watched in a movie theater usually on one hand. For the most part, it was things like the Marvel movies where I knew Iā€™d end up spoiled if I waited for the DVD/Blu-ray, and Fathom events kinds of things like the annual Miyazaki festival.

These days? Itā€™s Fathom events kind of things like the Miyazaki festival (and Star Trek II later this year).

I watch very little current TV. I have zero interest in the endless parade of ā€œrealityā€ and ā€œcompetitionā€ shows. The scripted comedies are all inane and mind-numbing. I used to enjoy shows like NCIS, Bones, Hawaiā€™i Five-0, mystery/ procedural kinds of shows, but no one seems to make those anymore.

Interestingly, I write a weekly ratings article for a TV website, and ratings for network television absolutely tanked with the pandemic. Cable isnā€™t doing any better. Itā€™s hard to tell with the various streamers as they donā€™t release rating numbers consistently, but other than the one or two ā€œbigā€ shows like Mandolorean, their numbers arenā€™t always that great either. Too many services, too fractured of a landscape means no one really wins these days*.

*Except the Super Bowl. :slight_smile: Ratings for that were back up around 100 million people this year.

3 Likes

Per Eli Roth, itā€™s even worse than that: Besides every aspect of a film being focus tested, theyā€™ve moved to focus testing scripts.

I saw 120 on a slow year. Iā€™m sure I hit 150 some years. But pre-crazy there were over 100 screens showing different movies every day.

There was a period a few years ago where ā€œthrowbacksā€ got real popular, so you could literally see 100 movies a year and none of them new. The theaters were usually packed but somehow the fashion fell off and now weā€™re back to maybe 30 classics in a year. With the seating restrictions, studios Iā€™m sure demanded all the exhibition halls they could.

2 Likes