Nice Wheels

Gearheads:

Are there any cars you see in the MST3K universe that you think are far too awesome to be in the cheese? Any curiosities that stand out to you?

I for one actually really like the 1970s GMCs used in FS:
i221636

Look at all the weirdos it’ll hold!

8 Likes

The obvious answer is the motorama cars in Design for Dreaming.

14 Likes

Am I the only one that looks for the Batmobile in that short?

Batmobile_expo

6 Likes

It annoys me to no end that in Master Ninja II there’s a chase scene where the filmmakers (and I use that term very loosely) decided to wreck a gorgeous Jaguar E-Type convertible…

5SecondsApp_660930959.492709

…but let a nasty Chrysler K car go unscathed.

5SecondsApp_660931141.998142

O, the humanity!

ADDENDUM (12/13): Totally forgot that Diabolik also drove a hot Jag E-Type - a coupé - and it survived the filmmaking process!

5SecondsApp_661093937.061655

11 Likes

Man, that car absolutely eats it, too

1 Like

I hate that the redneck in me immediately thought about salvaging the tires <_<

3 Likes

We can just pretend that the Jaguar they destroyed was already totaled and they got it for cheap. And the one they used in the driving scenes was a rental. But still, the disrespect!

3 Likes

The Jaguar might have been a kit car. Google shows me that E-type replicas over an '80s Mazda RX-7 body exist, and perhaps did at the time they were filming The Master.

The most commonly-encountered kit cars of that time, IIRC, was a faux Porsche 911 shell over a VW Beetle chassis.

2 Likes

I dunno, that looks like a purdy gen-U-WINE Jaguar 4.2-liter inline-six in there:

And even it WAS a kit car, it would be darn sad to wreck it like that.

That K Kar, on the other hand, deserves to be blowed up real good!

(P.S. I’m not even that certain of the make of that car - it’s so astonishingly bland from the front I can’t really tell WHAT it is.)

2 Likes

Welcome to the car design of the 80s. Everything was bland. LeCar, anyone?? It’s like everyone who designed those cool looking cars in the 60s and early 70s all up and quit at the same time and we haven’t recovered yet. It’s sad when the modern Mustang, Camaro, Hellcat, and Challenger all look identical.

2 Likes

Good catch. I join you in mourning its loss.

3 Likes

The Renault Le Car was at least pretty distinctive looking in the U.S. market, as was the foolhardy Gallic bravery that led to putting that racing stripe and “Le Car” in big letters on the side.

I have fond memories (though in retrospect, also a lot of questions about the details) of being enlisted by a teacher to play a prank on another teacher who owned a Le Car. IIRC, as part of a group of 8-10 5th graders, we manually lifted the Le Car from its parking space to the adjacent playing field that was about 2 feet higher (with a 2 foot wall separating the two areas). It wasn’t at all difficult.

2 Likes

Roxy’s car in Eegah was too nice to nearly hit Richard Kiel.

6 Likes

The hands down winner in this is

in The Screaming Skull

Edit: Would like to add one of these auctioned a decade ago for US $4.62M

7 Likes

Oh, come on! The sweetest ride in all Mstdom has to be Kyle’s sweet AMC Hornet wagon in Hobgoblins! Imagine snuggeling up with Fantasia on the vinyl bench seat and hearing the throaty roar of that inline six…sublime!

4 Likes

I’m going with Megaweapon.

Because it’s Megaweapon.

9 Likes

All hail Megaweapon

10 Likes

I’m an old schooler, so I was all about Chase’s souped-up hot rod from The Giant Gila Monster… at least before he sent it crashing into the title character.

6 Likes

Megaweapon drives circles around the Paper Chase Guy!

3 Likes

Nothing’s too good for our favorite test cases.

1 Like