Question About December's Vault Picks - Christmas Episodes

So I get this is early to bring up (despite retail stores already started this since October), but I’m sure there’s no doubt next month’s picks will be themed around “The Holidays/Winter” to coincide with this season’s Christmas episode/finale, The Christmas Dragon. Two likely/obvious episode candidates will be Santa Claus Conquers The Martians and Santa Claus.

One thought that had me wondering, in regards for next month’s vault picks: is there a chance one of those episodes could be The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t from Season 11? Kinda doubt it with the current setup/deal between Alterniversal and Netflix, and obviously you can still watch the episode off of the Gizmoplex, but it’d be neat to have it amongst the other Christmas episodes from “the vault” for the holiday season.

2 Likes

Since there are three “events” in December, beyond the new episode, I’m wondering if those might be the Santa Claus episodes and maybe, possibly, Christmas that Almost Wasn’t, with vault picks being something else.

5 Likes

We could make our own unofficial MST3K Advent list. One “watch together” episode per day? IDK. I’m Jewish, so I’m not even certain how it all works.

7 Likes

We could use four of the episodes and make a “randomized” dreidel to pick which one to play??? Idk if that’s culturally appropriate or not, but i think it could be interesting…

1 Like

Since Rifftrax has so many shorts, I’ve long wanted them to do a “Rifftrax Advent Calendar.” You pay something like $20, and every day you “unlock” a short to add to your library, and on the last day it would be a brand new short.

It would run similar to the Kickstarters, where if you already owned a short you would get $1 in Rifftrax credit to use on another purchase.

7 Likes

My vault picks for December would be:
The Day the Earth Froze- Russo-Finnish fairy tale whimsy!
The Painted Hills- Lassie has returned to the snowy mountains of Oregon, and she’s PISSED.
Mitchell- It DOES take place at Christmas, after all!
Santa Claus- How does THIS make you feel about Santa?
Angels Revenge- Um… Angels were present at the birth of Christ?
Jack Frost- A whimsical Soviet fever dream about snow and stuff. (Finland had NOTHING to do with this movie, so get off their case!)

And a special Livestream watch party of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! (Care to participate, Pia Zadora?)

3 Likes

Hmmm… no idea if Netflix currently has an exclusivity clause in effect for streaming rights to that episode. They are litigiously protective of shows produced under their banner like that.

2 Likes

Would love it if Santa Claus Conquers the Martians was December’s tribute!

1 Like

It says we’ve got three tribute events in December, so I just assumed each one would be the three Christmas episodes. Maybe December will be winter themed episodes? The ones you watch when there’s a blizzard outside and need something to watch wrapped in a blanket with hot cocoa? Maybe “The Day the Earth Froze” and “Jack Frost”?

3 Likes

There are THREE events for December (and 3christmas episodes… coincidence?!?!)

2 Likes

All I know is that I’m (potentially) excited for the (possible) inclusion of The Day the Earth Froze and/or Jack Frost, baybay! :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve gotten enough shorts via their Kickstarters, I can make my own- and put one of the two NEW shorts (just delivered today from the Return of the Swamp Thing)as the final piece.

2 Likes