Riffs as bonus DVD commentary tracks?

I stumbled upon a Kino Lorber release of THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED TRANSPLANT with the Rifftrax commentary as a DVD bonus feature. Does anybody know of any other DVD or Blu-ray releases that feature MST3K talent doing commentary tracks (not released through standard MST3K/RiffTrax channels)?

5 Likes

Mike did tracks for the colorized releases of Reefer Madness, Night of the Living Dead, and Plan 9 From Outer Space, a lot of which then got recycled into the actual Rifftrax for those movies.

3 Likes

Oooooh, so that’s where the “single riffer” versions of those riffs come from.

3 Likes

Thanks. Just found autographed copies of Reefer and Little Shop of Horrors on eBay. That must’ve been his battle plan before Film Crew and Rifftrax!

1 Like

Kino Lorber also put out a blu ray of Astro Zombies with the Rifftrax commentary.

4 Likes

Our own Jonah Ray partnered with Ryan Turek on a commentary of Maximum Overdrive (1986) containing lots of ribbing of the movie. Jonah confides a couple MST stories especially Joel’s refusal to include Overdrive as an experiment owing to its violence.

4 Likes

The blu ray of The Heat with Sandra Bullock is worth tracking down, since Joel, Trace and Josh do a commentary on it.

Joel, Trace and Josh also did a commentary on a Star Wars documentary that I’m forgetting the name of. It’s on my shelf at home, but I’m out of town.

3 Likes

Frank has done some commentaries on Abbott & Costello films in the role of film historian, but I haven’t listened to those.

1 Like

That also may explain why many of those were pulled from the RiffTrax catalog after they separated from Legend Films.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I discovered that movie around the time I discovered MST3K!

1 Like

Not MST3K, but I remember that the Ghostbusters DVD had a commentary track where the commenters appeared as foreground silhouettes in the MST3K style (although they weren’t riffing the movie obvs).

4 Likes

We maintain lists of all MST3K-related VHS, Blu-ray and DVD releases on the MST3K wiki. You guys should check it regularly, as we list everything as soon as they come to light. For instance, Mike did seven commentaries for Legend (Reefer Madness, Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, House on Haunted Hill, Plan 9 from Outer Space, The Little Shop of Horrors and Swing Parade). Kino also released ‘The Astro Zombies’ with optional RiffTrax.

The wiki is here: mst3k.fandom.com and is your friend.

7 Likes

‘Star Wait’, from 2005.

3 Likes

I see he did one for ‘Who Done It?’ Are there others?

1 Like

There have also been a handful of Shout Factory Blu rays that included full MST3K episodes as special features.

3 Likes

Thanks! I should have pulled my copy by now to remember the name.

2 Likes

That might be it.

2 Likes

Muppets From Space had the same shadowrama effect in their DVD commentary with Gonzo, Rizzo, and the director of the film. Unlike most commentary tracks, this one was scripted.

3 Likes

Thanks for what you do. Time to take a deep dive into that site!

1 Like

the Ghostbusters a/v commentary is only on one dvd version as far as i am aware, and it wont work on every disc player

2 Likes