Science!

3 Likes

I’m more wondering why they didn’t go with a BSD of some sort. Surely they’d want something with less licensing headaches.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I just watched this 2-3 days ago, first time seeing it since its original release. I thought it was surprisingly good! Considering its age, and that someone was insane enough to make a sequel to a Kubrick movie, it’s weathered the test of time. Plus I believe you can never go wrong with Roy Scheider.

I like that there’s a thread of credibility to it. Seems like I read once that Jupiter was in the neighborhood of big enough to potentially collapse into itself and form a star?

I’d completely forgotten Helen Mirren was in it, and while her Russian accent was at times a little much, she still sold it well.

3 Likes

Not even remotely close to enough mass. There are brown dwarves far larger than Jupiter and they aren’t even stars.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Go to Google search for NASA Dart

You’re welcome

5 Likes

I discovered that a few days ago. Very cute. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

I expect this will also play into boosting the ISS’ orbit as well. The Dragon v2 capsule can’t do it by default because the retrothrusters are mounted around its docking adapter, facing fowards — great if one is trying to blast one’s way free from the station, bad for just giving it a bit of a shove.

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that SpaceX has been looking at two options for a while now:

1. Using the SuperDraco abort engines, which were originally also intended for propulsively landing the capsule. They have considerable delta-V and can be deeply throttled, but possibly not deeply enough for a long, light push. But if SpaceX tinkered with them a bit more, and mounted them in the cargo capsules where launch abort isn’t needed…

2. Some sort of self-contained booster engine mounted in, or mostly replacing the trunk section.

2 Likes

Ah, well, so much for the thread of credibility then. That’s what I get for reading. Though to be fair, it could be that I read what you just said, and my dinky brain flipped it around over the years.

3 Likes

Professor Svante Paablo awarded the Nobel prize for his work sequencing Neandertal and Denisovan DNA

4 Likes

He has done some really invaluable work. His research has led to all sorts of discoveries about the human immune system and even were part of what went into creating COVID vaccines.

1 Like
4 Likes

Well, if the aliens detonated Jupiter like in 2010… :smiley:

3 Likes

…like they promised.

4 Likes

So, DART was apparently successful in changing the orbit of an asteroid.

4 Likes

Now watch the end of the season reveal that DART has moved the Satellite.

2 Likes

They did it!

2 Likes

…And now the formerly harmless Dimorphos is on a direct collision course with Earth. Payback is a female dog, family.

(Just kidding, but unless Victorian fiction has lied to me there is always a price to pay for tampering in God’s domain.)

5 Likes