Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

That is the first step to recovery, they say.

2 Likes

Seagate backup plus hub has ports on the front. If your computer doesn’t have at least USB3, you can get a neat adapter from Kanex that goes in one of your thunderbolts. That way you can save on getting a thunderbolt priced drive (if you can even find one) and not have to deal with sub USB3 speeds. Thunderbolt is cool, but any drive you buy will be the bottleneck even with USB3. If you do have USB3 or higher, then no Kanex for you! You might have to order online. Stores seem to have run out of anything not USB-C these days.

You can add more memory without buying a new computer.

2 Likes

Not sure from the description of this Mac regarding USB3. All their promo page says is “Improved USB compatibility.” :thinking:

I’m already used to waiting eons to open items saved on the thumb drives. So I guess I can live with slowness for awhile since I want to get additional use out of this aging friend before it’s done.

1 Like

Today I posted my final paper for the Ethnography class that I hate with all my heart and currently have a 97.5 in. Took 6 hours following the professor’s terrible video step by gawdawful step. (I might have riffed it a bit when I was between sections.) It’s done, it’s over, and even if she gives me a zero (she won’t) I have passed the class with a B. If I get above a 50% on the paper (I will), then I will strut away with a hard-earned A.

7 Likes

I built an extension to my Catio so I can ban the cats from my bedroom at last. I am scratched up, have a bunch of shiny new bruises, am slightly sunburned, and exhausted. This is how I spend my days off, apparently.

Update: The cats LOVE it and my nest task will be to add tons of cool shelves and things for them to sprawl on. :smiley:

Before:

During, day 1:

During, day 2:

Finished as of about an hour ago:

8 Likes

Well, that was exciting.

I got to do a live tech support A/V chat (no, I was the user, not the solver!) and the dude fixed me right up. It took a good hour or so, but I didn’t need actual support, just someone to verify my credentials so I can get the joy of using a VPN/GRE/whatever tunnel into my work’s intranet from my sanctum sanctorum.

AND I was very pleased about how quickly it took for me to deal with my insurer and changing the parameters of their designated CCO. Took like five minutes. Via phone no less.

I am the king of all some media!

/* AND I still have time before sleep to get a livestream from my GoPro DragonTouch ULTRA HD 4K (!!!) figured out so that in case this ex-girlfriend should get some inbred hooligans to rough me up, I’ll have proof of assault! Long game, people! */

3 Likes

Took out my first wasp’s nest of the season last night. I’ve planted some flowers for our pollenators, I love our bees, but ALL WASPS MUST DIE.

And this is early for these buggers, too.

4 Likes

As a non-Anglo-Saxon Roman Catholic, I agree!

Also the insects. They’re nasty little creatures, although they do serve a purpose by killing other bugs/insects/whatever.

Not worth it! Exterminate with extreme prejudice!

3 Likes

Today was washing last years gunk off the outside air conditioner coils day. And check the relay and current draw. All still good. Since they banned R22 in 2020 I’m dreading the day it dies on me, it will mean replacing the entire system and probably cost $10K. Can’t believe a unit installed in 2008 still had R22, they must have been getting rid of them cheap at that time.

3 Likes

I ate a Rice Krispie treat and I didn’t have to shout above the din once!

GIF by The Academy Awards

3 Likes

I had a pair of black Carharrt duck-fabric pants delivered today, and not only is the size correct, I can’t find one reason to complain.

Until the crotch blows out.

But in the meantime, they’re just fine: a true size 36 waist, not “vanity sizing,” (shuddup! so I got a bit of a beer gut…and I’m 46 years old ferchrissakes!) and sits right at the waist, just the way I like it!

And they’re not so heavy or inflexible that I can’t wear them outside at work in the summer. And black blocks more UV light, which is why it’s my color of choice for sunlight. That and to hide sweat stains!

//////////* Oh, here’s an actual accomplishment. I’ve actually become pretty good friends with a former bar acquaintance. I hang out a bit with various dudes doing dude stuff, like playing pool, drinking beer, trading jokes, and stuff, but it takes me a while to actually be more than superficially friendly with people. That’s a good thing, for me to allow people into my personal life. He’s kind of a doofus, with some problems (child support payments, sketchy drinking habits, not going out and driving cab as much as he should), but everyone’s got their issues). *////////////

4 Likes

4 Likes

More mundane than all my previous mundane-ities combined.

You’ve been warned.

I’ve been VERY good lately at remembering not to reheat or thaw food at the maximum level when using the microwave. I think a certain confusion when we first got the thing was understandable. Because it dates back to the time when you had to select a numerical level, instead of designating what kind of food you were placing inside.

However, I had a mental block for decades which caused me to constantly frizzle or explosively boil the outer layer of things while the insides stayed Arctic. I even managed to shatter a plate in there once. :scream_cat: Which was both messy and terrifying, but for some reason it didn’t make me change my ways.

It’s only over this past half-a-year that I’ve become adept at not doing that, and I’m very pleased. :angel: It helps distract me from all the remaining faulty circuits in my head which are still trying to drag me to Hell every day.

4 Likes

The agent said “just put up a railing on those back steps” so I did.

It’s the white one, behind the invisible whisper-quiet high-speed spinning spike railing. I’m now told that it’s too good because we’re selling the place anyway and it doesn’t wobble, and is not in any way “janky.”

WTF, was I supposed to just use sticks and string or something? I’m sorry, but Railing Fancier and Modern Balustrade have gone out of bidness, I have nowhere to turn for advice.

5 Likes

Looks good to me!

3 Likes

You know, a buyer’s home inspector is paid to say stuff like:

“The railing doesn’t continue all the way to the building outer wall – unsafe!”

“The gaps between the vertical supports is large enough for a child’s body – unsafe!”

“Railing doesn’t continue to the bottom of the stairs – unsafe!”

:stuck_out_tongue:

For the record, I approve of your railing. :+1:

3 Likes

I have mentioned my carbon-absorbing insect-sanctuary wilding project, (i.e., my lawn that has gone to seed because I can’t find the motivation to mow) before.

Well, my family’s wealth manager (i.e., my lovely wife) has wisely hired someone more reliable than me to keep it cut during our awful, humid summer. I am so thankful!

4 Likes

Damn, that’s gonna require at least two more railings.

Maybe if I lash some cats to them.

edit: Lash them to the children, not the supports, I mean, cmon, I’m not an animal. Look at that railing, it’s a work of…railing.

This is by design, home inspectors are particularly vulnerable to 3-inch falls.

4 Likes

Back when I had young children and was house hunting, one of the houses I liked had a narrow, steep staircase to the second floor. The first floor landing had a giant, plate glass window. And under the window was, Wile E. Coyote-style, a bunch of succulents (cacti and other thorny plants).

When I expressed to the realtor a concern that my children might harm themselves he said something to the effect of “You can’t center your life around your children’s safety. You can always have more children.” :thinking:

2 Likes

This is a better place to put this.

Got a broken dryer door handle?

Try new and improved “bolting cabinet hardware to the mounting holes!”

3 Likes