Single Random Facts

A group of cats is called a “clowder.”

Do not confuse this with chowder. And do not make cat chowder either, for that matter.

3 Likes

Gasp Wow GIF

3 Likes

For that matter Maine is closer to Africa than Florida is.

2 Likes

People always forget the polar route. :slight_smile:

The Alaska riddle was always a favorite of mine when teaching geography. (of course, I was sadly dealing with people that didn’t realise New Mexico was actually a state (seriously. The first time someone asked in all innocence if it really was a state I was too stunned to reply for several seconds) ) so take that for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public. A&W in the 1980s released a 1/3 pound burger to compete with McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. While in taste tests it was preferred by the majority of people trying it the burger was a flop and didn’t sell well. The reason? People were convinced that a 1/3 pound burger was smaller than a 1/4 pound one so they didn’t think it was a value.

4 Likes

Thanks for the random fact! And my new word of the day. Blep blep blep!

3 Likes

LOL I probably should’ve put “scientific” in quotes, but you’re welcome nonetheless!

1 Like

In science, there are blobs and blebs and the difference is orientation.

2 Likes

You telling me @dog_rates isn’t a scientist? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thanks, now I’m blubbering like a baby (but in the best way possible)

2 Likes

I’m not crying you’re crying! :smiley: They’re not ALL this emotional but it is the best account on Twitter.

3 Likes

Whenever I find myself loathing humanity, I like to binge watch animal rescue videos.

4 Likes

This is a fact that always amuses me. The actual name for the spikes at the end of a dinosaur’s tail is a “thagomizer”. This name comes from a Far Side cartoon. Paleontologists saw the cartoon are realized there wasn’t actually a name for it and they began using thagomizer. It’s now become the official name.

7 Likes

And just to ruin the childhoods of watchers of Road Runner cartoons, coyotes average 23 mph faster running than road runners do.

7 Likes

That’s on straight-aways, of course, where rocket-powered roller skates are at their most useful.

6 Likes

No joke. The term was picked up initially by Kenneth Carpenter, then a paleontologist at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, who used the term when describing a fossil at the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Annual Meeting in 1993.

5 Likes

Those are @LadyShelley’s stomping grounds if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Yep, that sounds like Ken. He is a huge Far Side fan. He was also one of the first palaeontologists to break with the idea that dinosaurs were slow, lumbering, stupid creatures. He, along with Bob Bakker and a few others, were early proponents of the idea that dinos were very active and some were possibly even warm-blooded.

I knew Ken for many years until he moved from Denver to Montana.

6 Likes

Here’s another “scientific” word for cute things animals do.

A sploot

4 Likes

So, most people know “spatchcock” refers to a chicken that’s been dressed, split, and basically flattened for quicker broiling.

But I just learned today that “spitchcock” refers to an eel that’s been split and broiled.

4 Likes