Single Random Facts

Yeah, not even a square but there’s a cool statue! So many subway lines

2 Likes

Really? It’s news to me.

But how is Bob Denver realized in the nominative singuar?

And Russ Johnson and Dawn Wells (or however they’re spelled) in past passive infinitive participle.

I’m fairly sure I’m not the best classicist on this board, but I did bother to learn Latin and at least, Homeric Gk. Took me a while, but I made the effort.

I am probably one of the worst spellers in any modern tongue, however. But that’s how I like it!

Sort of. One could rather have said “changes to those things or persons, those things having been changed.”

2 Likes

Madison Square Garden is not located at Madison Square.

Also, the building is round.

5 Likes

Also, not a garden.

5 Likes

I once took the train to Penn Station and then had to ask directions to MSG :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I hope you weren’t only asking in chinese restaurants and stationary stores.

3 Likes

No I asked a cab driver :joy:

2 Likes

But is it Madison?
Madison

4 Likes

And now for your daily… er, weekly… er, random dose of randomness, here’s Random Facts Woman!

1. Wine is sometimes measured in “butts”. A “buttload” of wine therefore actually has a legitimate measurement size, that being approximately 126 gallons. So if you ever hear someone claiming they drank a buttload of wine, submit them to the Guinness Book of World Records, stat!

2. While we all associate Dorothy’s outfit in the Wizard of Oz as being blue and white gingham, the actual fabric was a light pink and blue. The lights on set washed out the pink to the point that it looked white, and movie history was born. Similarly, the “ruby slippers” weren’t ruby in the books; they were actually silver. The filmmakers decided to make them ruby so that they would “pop” in technicolor.

3. In 2006, Bill Shatner actually sold one of his kidney stones for a whopping $25,000, then turned around and donated the proceeds to Habitat for Humanity.

4. If you were a third class passenger on the Titanic, well… you weren’t only SOL when it came to getting on a lifeboat, you were SOL when it came to bathing. The 700-1000 third class passengers had a grand total of TWO bathtubs to share. Wonder how they scheduled a time…

5. Mickey and Minnie are married! Well, actually… Wayne Allwine, who voiced Mickey in the '90s, married Russi Taylor, who voiced Minnie at the same time, in 1991. The lovebirds kept their marriage quiet at the time because they didn’t want their marriage associated with the characters they voiced.

6. Robin Williams LOVED Batman. And he was super excited when he was offered the role of the Joker in Tim Burton’s Batman! Except… he was only offered the role to get Tim’s first choice, Jack Nicholson, to change his mind and take the part. Robin was incredibly upset by this and vowed to never work with Warner Brothers again unless they apologized. In order to make amends, WB supposedly offered Williams the role of The Riddler, but reports differ on what happened next; either Robin turned them down because he was still offended, or Jim Carrey was always Joel Schumacher’s top choice for the role in Batman Beyond. We’ll never know, I guess… barring Schumacher telling us.

7. Blue whales are massive. I mean… MASSIVE. Want an idea of how massive? They can weigh up to 200 TONS, or the weight of approximately 33 elephants (aka the largest LAND mammal). And their hearts are approximately the size of a VW Beetle!

8. Andrew Jackson reportedly took the presidential tradition of holding an open house just a teensy bit too far. After his inauguration, Jackson held the open house at the White House (the first one for the building) to meet other politicians and greet celebrities and citizens. However, nearly 20,000 people turned up, turning the open house into a wild party! People were getting food on the carpets and standing on furniture, so in desperation Jackson ordered White House servants to mix up massive tubs of whiskey and juice to lure the partiers out onto the lawn. The tradition of a presidential open house ended in 1885 with Grover Cleveland’s inauguration; he opted for the parade, which has been a staple of inaugurations ever since.

9. Developers of the video game based on the Lion King were directly told by execs at Disney to make the game as hard as they possibly could, despite the game being marketed to children, so that it couldn’t be beaten during a single Blockbuster rental period. Disney reportedly wanted players to be so invested they’d go out and buy the game instead to finish it. What a dick move…

10. Lady Gaga is sneaky. Need an example? Go and listen to her song Poker Face. Pay attention to every time she says “P-p-p-poker face”. If some of the lyrics sound like she’s instead telling you to do something very naughty to your partner’s face, well… you’re not wrong. Lady Gaga changed the lyrics in about every other chorus to be the more raunchy “F-f-f-**** her face” instead of the regular words.

11. If you’ve ever wondered why the tanks on spaceships are painted orange, wonder no more! They’re actually NOT painted. NASA had originally painted them white to cover the insulation used to cover the liquid hydrogen and oxygen tanks, but the white paint added about 600 pounds of weight to the rockets, so NASA decided to stop.

12. Everyone knows Dave Grohl. Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman! Except for the entirety of the Foo Fighters first album… Grohl was the ONLY man. While he was on tour with Nirvana, Grohl often spent his downtime writing songs, but was too nervous to offer them up to Kurt Cobain as potential Nirvana songs. When Nirvana disbanded after Cobain’s death, Grohl decided he was going to record the songs instead of becoming a drummer for another band. So… he did, spending five days recording 15 songs where he provided vocals and played EVERY instrument. He named the band the way he did to imply that there were more than one members, but when the album became a success and it was time to go on tour, Grohl then had to find a band to back him up! The bands subsequent albums have been a joint effort instead of just being Grohl.

13. The now-extinct colossus penguins were MASSIVE. They grew to nearly 7 feet tall and could hold their breath for up to 40 minutes, making them incredibly efficient hunters. The next largest penguin species, the emperor penguin, is barely half the size. Makes you wonder why they went extinct, but I’m going to guess the answer is “man”, because isn’t it always?

14. Machine Gun Kelly! No, not the artist… I’m talking the original. George Kelly Barnes was a bootlegger and gangster who was sentenced to life in prison after kidnapping a wealthy oil magnate. While in prison for earlier charges related to the aforementioned bootlegging, Barnes befriended several bank robbers and it’s believed he helped them escape from prison. After his release, Barnes and his girlfriend met up with the bank robbers and participated in a spree of robberies across several states. His girlfriend gifted him a machine gun and dubbed him Machine Gun Kelly. The two criminals hatched the plot to kidnap the oil magnate and hold him for ransom, but neglected to realized that the authorities knew the numbers on the cash and could trace where they spent their ill-gotten gains. The current Machine Gun Kelly named himself after the gangster because of “my rapid-fire delivery when I was 15”.

15. ZZ Top is probably best known, aside from being an incredibly talented rock group, for two of its members having long, flowing beards. Ironically, the only member of the band without a beard is named Frank Beard.

16. William Shakespeare disappeared from public record for about seven years, from 1585-1592; not long after he reappeared is when he first started “hitting it big” with his plays and sonnets. Theories as to why he disappeared abound, with some thinking he was a teacher, others thinking he was an actor in a traveling troupe, and still others thinking he had to flee his hometown after being caught poaching deer from a local politician’s estate.

And that’s it for this edition of Random Facts. Random Facts Woman OUT!

8 Likes

It’s Random Facts Woman! She comes out of the… wherever she lives to do battle with the Amazing Rando!

You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly massive they are. I mean, you may think an elephant is massive, but that’s just peanuts to a blue whale.

5 Likes

Also in the original book, everything in Munchkinland was a unform blue color. The trees, the grass, the buildings…everything. Obviously that wasn’t going to fly in a Technicolor film, so Munchkinland became the most colorful place you could imagine. (Baum later dropped the uniform-color thing, either because he forgot or because he realized it was a pretty dumb idea… especially when the books started getting adapted for stage and screen.)

Get the ouija board. You might be able to hear Schumacher and Williams swearing at each other in heaven. (Actually, Schumacher is probably still in Purgatory thanks to Batman & Robin).

Not in this case. They were eaten by shoggoths.

He was busy ghost writing all of Francis Bacon’s books.

5 Likes

Butts were the barrels used by British (and probably other, but I know British) ships to carry water in the 1700-1800s. 300 butts equalled 150 tons of weight. So ships could victual their ships accordingly.

Blue whales are also bigger than any dinosaur yet discovered. (yes, that includes behemoths like Argentinaosaurus.)

Colossus penguins went extinct 37 million years ago. Long before apes, much less man, are even in the fossil record. (the earliest apes, Proconsul helsioni, date to ~18-20 million years ago) It probably went extinct due to climate change.

5 Likes

Did they keep it all on the poop deck?

Their drunken, rosey cheeks’n’nose are what’s known in popular parlance as “butt face”.

1 Like

I do have the entire Puke and Snot Bit 'O Natutical Humor handy. Don’t make me use it!

Strange but true – that is also the current average weight of 300 American butts.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

3 Likes

They all got a nice bath at the end of the voyage

Too soon?

2 Likes

And as mean as that is, that was actually industry standard at the time. For comparison, Konami’s Rocket Knight Adventures, a 1993/1995 release, had the difficulties changed from Normal/Hard/Very Hard/Crazy Hard to Children/Easy/Normal/Hard and made it so that on the easiest difficulty (i.e. the ones the devs intended for you to start with), you couldn’t actually beat the final boss. All so that people would buy the dang game. Is this better or worse than copy protection?

3 Likes

And then to the local coroner’s office, as they probably died immediately afterwards of alcohol poisoning.

“Hello, ground!” Oh, wait, that was a sperm whale. And they only said that line in the movie.

It was originally thought that the spray-on foam insulation needed to be protected from the UV radiation in sunlight, but this turned out not to be the case and painting it was dropped to save weight, as noted. After the Columbia disaster NASA reexamined painting the insulation as a means to reduce foam shedding, but determined that adding any kind of additional covering (they looked at netting, too) wouldn’t help at best, and be counterproductive at worst, i.e., would increase foam shedding.

Only the ones on the plateau.

Which was all of them, unfortunately.

Considering that there are organized groups out there that see the ever-evolving digital rights management systems as games to be beaten, that’s debateable. Especially since they keep winning…

4 Likes

I don’t wonder about this as much as I wonder why ICBMs have “United States” painted on them. Who exactly is going to read that when it’s dropping a nuclear weapon on them? And at that point who exactly is going to care?

4 Likes