Strange Ways To Die in Entertainment

I remember they had to film that scene again to make it look bloodier. Gives “going in for reshoots” take on a whole new meaning.

3 Likes

I can’t believe we all forgot Mr. Creosote.

6 Likes

Oh, how we try.

6 Likes

Let’s not forget pretty much every death scene in Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

5 Likes

"What we got back . . . didn’t live very long . . . "

5 Likes

Referenced, with rather more detail, in Galaxy Quest.
[Fred tries to digitize the pig-lizard with disastrous results]
Jason: What? What was that?
Alexander: Uh, nothing.
Jason: I heard some squealing or something.
Gwen: Oh, no. Everything’s fine.
Teb: But the animal is inside out.
Jason: I heard that! It turned inside out?
[the pig-lizard explodes]
Teb: And it exploded.
Jason: Did I just hear that the animal turned inside out, and then it EXPLODED? Hello?
Gwen: [Flipping a bit of pig-lizard off her communicator] Hold, please.

6 Likes

So, my wife is a murder mystery fan, and has been binging Pluto TV’s Midsomer Murders channel. In the course of establishing that quaint rural villages are the most dangerous places on Earth (for further proof, see Fletcher, Jessica) the producers had to get creative. Tied to a tree, smeared with truffle oil and mauled to death by a wild boar stands out, as does being shaken to death by a nut-harvesting machine and being run over by a tank.

6 Likes

As I understand it, the transporter works by disintegrating you (thereby killing you) and then sending an exact blueprint of you to another location and creating an exact clone of you… accurate right down to your memory engrams (which is why you can remember your previous life). So any mistake which scrambled that pattern would be very unlikely to produce something alive, and even less likely to produce something able to feel pain.

I remember standing up in the theater and yelling this at the screen before the men with flashlights dragged me out.

5 Likes

I so love that movie.

7 Likes

It’s a shame we never got to see the rudimentary lathe get used.

5 Likes

The Man trying to protect Big Transporter.

3 Likes

Captain Terrell’s death in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). Noble and unavoidable.

1 Like

How could we forget. One mint tips the balance.

3 Likes

Now I’m thinking about that old blog with actresses heads exploding

tumblr_1ca73ca7a4d11810d08b3a5596d5951d_d7f6e4eb_400.gif

3 Likes

The…wait, what?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Was that by the same guy who did the Disney Princesses blowing up? And since quite a few people have mentioned RoboCop, I highly encourage everyone to watch the “Our RoboCop Remake” from the guys at Nerdist.

Anyway, the video game Planescape: Torment has some doozies. For instance, your character, the Nameless One, if he’s put a lot of points into Intelligence and Charisma can, if I recall correctly, can use his superior debating skills to prove that the guy he’s speaking to doesn’t exist and then poof.

3 Likes

Take that, Descartes!

2 Likes

Plug for Truffaut’s 1968 movie La mariée était en noir [The Bride Wore Black].

A series of pretty clever assassinations by Jeanne Moreau. I don’t want to spoil any of them for those who haven’t seen the movie or, like me, don’t remember all the details.

3 Likes