The Human Body in Entertainment

The Human Body in Film, Television, or Comics. Who leaps out at you and why? Schwarzenegger? Stallone? Rita Hayworth? Raquel Welch? Barbara Crampton? What image most lingers and lasts the test of time?

P.S. The inside or out. Parts of the body or the whole thing. The body as a theme or idea or a particular body. Any of it is fair game.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie…first thing that popped to mind when I saw the topic was, “What, like Innerspace?”

7 Likes

@LadyStarblade Inside, outside. It all qualifies. Go wherever you want. Avoid the obvious subjects but other than that have fun.

1 Like

That was my first thought. :slight_smile:

But as far as just the body as entertainment? I’ll admit that I don’t pay attention to that almost at all. I’ll say that a person is good-looking, but beyond that, I’m not really thinking of ogling as part of my entertainment.

That being said, if we’re talking about a particular use of the body to further a story, then, there are some things that I can think of. Like the six-fingered man in The Princess Bride. I still remember the cutaway shot showing the hand.

I don’t know if they got a real person with six fingers on one hand or if they just made a special glove, but there’s a definite reaction because it just doesn’t look right. (Oh, and by the way, having six-fingers is actually a dominant trait rather than a recessive one, but because almost no one has the dominant allele, five fingers are far more common. I actually use that in one of my tests.)

10 Likes

7 Likes

Damn, that was my first thought as well! Inside and out! Mr. Goodbody!

Well…I like the part in Rolling Thunder gets Bill Devane has his hand stuck in a garbage disposal. “Like,” maybe not, but it is pretty gruesome for a fairly mainstream revenge thriller.

I like the physicality of Deliverance as well: not just “the bad scene” but the rafting, the hootenany to the Banjo/Guitar duet toward the beginning.

And propers to two very good car chase movies, Death Proof and Gone in 60 Seconds (the real one, not that Angelina Jolie bs!).

Jackie Chan doing just about anything…Police Story, Drunken Master, etc.

3 Likes

How about The Body?

1 Like

Ok, here’s a classic: body within a body. Hard to forget this scene:

4 Likes

The body is nice but knowledge is power.

1 Like

The entirety of Osmosis Jones.

2 Likes

2 Likes

And here we were just talking about Lifeforce.

2 Likes

A rare moment when she’s actually wearing clothes

1 Like

Indeed, the only moment. And the movie loses 90% of its watchability at that point.

1 Like

LOL! Touche and well done! She positively makes the grade.

THIS ^^^^^

1 Like

Do we wanna go all Cronenberg here?

david cronenberg GIF by Maudit

2 Likes

Go for it!

It’s hard to find any Cronenberg that both illustrates the use of the human body and is appropriate for a family-friendly puppet-show forum.

Here’s one of Samantha Eggar in The Brood. The reveal, which like all early Cronenberg captures the cultural zeitgeist—the dark side of '70s pop psychology—and takes it to its insane conclusion.

3 Likes

Cronenberg invites a challenge on this forum though one I’m willing to accept. Jeff Goldblum as a man undergoing change in The Fly (1986) is one. This analogy for terminal illness and the human body under assault is David to a t.

2 Likes