Survey link: how many MSTied movies were made in your lifetime?

This is a kind of demographic survey of Mystery Science Theater fans in the form of determining how many of the movies used in the experiments were released in your lifetime by percentage. For example, if you were born in 1960 and are still alive, 70% of the movies riffed in MST3K were made in your lifetime.

The survey is in google forms. Here’s the link. The survey is anonymous; names and e-mail addresses are not collected.

The related spreadsheet is viewable here. It shows the diminishment in percentages over the years.

3 Likes

I kind of make it a policy to not answer any question that might be used as a security check, and that includes birthdates. But I’ll say I was surprised how many, since I still think of the black & white '50s movies as the canonical MST3K fodder. The later seasons really skew differently.

3 Likes

Looks like 49 for me.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Good heavens, the list of movies my parents might have seen on a date while my mother was pregnant with me sure is a parade of turkeys.

Angels Revenge
City on Fire
Killer Fish
Parts: The Clonus Horror
Shape of Things to Come, The

3 Likes

Understandable. That’s why I included the spreadsheet so people could look at the statistics for themselves.

4 Likes

What if I was born in 1960 and am NOT still alive?

4 Likes
  1. More than I would’ve thought.

ETA: 12% Interesting!

3 Likes

Aw, better luck next survey.

If you are dead, please don’t take this survey.

4 Likes

I don’t want dead people to take the survey! But if you really must, then take the percentage value of your death year and subtract it from the percentage value of 1960. Then find the closest percent value and put in the corresponding year.
But, again, if you’re dead, you should have better things to do!

2 Likes

I had the same surprise.

3 Likes

29%

2 Likes

Less than 20%. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whippersnapper!

3 Likes

OH, NOW YOU TELL THEM

notldzombies

5 Likes

It’s just that there were more good movies made after I was born. :smiley:

5 Likes

Born in 1984, with 31. Which incidentally put me at the perfect age to start watching the show once it started to really get great.

4 Likes

I went one better and calculated the 1966 episodes by before or after my birthdate. (A bunch of MTS3K movies were released that year.)

Including KTMA episodes (not The Green Slime), 106 riffed movies were made in my lifetime, and 10 of the 11 upcoming movies left in season 13. That’s roughly half of the total.

Asterisks:

I counted K1, Invaders from the Deep because the movie package was released in 1981, though it’s made from footage first released in 1964, before I was born.

I counted The Wild Wild World of Batwoman, which debuted in 1966, but I can’t find an exact release date for it.

Secret Agent Super Dragon was the closest one… it was released on May 24, 1966, the day after I was born.

5 Likes

And you say you died while watching Screaming Skull?

7 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t sure whether or not to include The Green Slime since it was a test run never broadcast. But the movie was made the year I was born, and I get to decide who lives and who dies!
Then again, one out of 222 experiments doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes