The Gizmoplex Era: An International MSTie’s Perspective

The only good thing I can say about Vegemite is that at least it’s not Marmite.

3 Likes

What is this sacrilege?!? I am currently working through a jar of “XO Marmite” - extra old and matured, for an even marmitier taste. My Christmas would not be complete without some Marmite themed gift; dedicated Marmite spreading knife (specially shaped so you can get ALL the marmite from the jar), Marmite chocolate, Marmite peanuts, Marmite flavoured crisps, I am definitely missing some others.

When I was at uni, sometimes if we ran out of Marmite, we would go for Bovril on toast. I wish my housemate had heard Lucas’ sound advice to treat these extracts as a garnish - less is more.

5 Likes

Good tip. I always go for lithium grease, though that Lucas Red & Tacky stuff is pretty good too.

4 Likes

I’ve had kind of a similar experience even here in the states. I grew up without cable TV so I never saw the show until college in the twilight years on sci-fi. I saw it end and cried along with Pearl. And then I had little connection with the show and less with other fans. Netflix helped much with episodes on DVD. THe community that briefly flourished on Kickstarter was wonderful but ephemeral. Then I got my invite to this forum and it’s been a home to wait for new episodes and debate hot-dog sandwich status (which I believe Servo settled in last night’s episode). It’s been so nice to have a place to go be among my fellow misfits and feel like MST is all around.

14 Likes

I’m British and it’s really nice to be able to watch this stuff on the same day as everyone else instead of waiting multiple months as used to be the case.

One big drawback is that the livestreams take place in the wee hours my time and so I have to watch them later. Any chance of something for European viewers at some point?

Or, even better, MST3K Does Europe: The Tour?

13 Likes

My father was English and ate Marmite all the time. I think it’s the most foul “food” I’ve ever tasted. I remember in high school, a friend was over and I told him about it and he insisted he had to try it. He had the tiniest bit on the edge of a spoon and then grabbed the bottle of concentrated lemon juice in the fridge door and chugged it.

Sorry, English people. Marmite is foul. You’ve all been brainwashed.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna make fun of anyone else’s food, as I adore such generally reviled things as black licorice and circus peanuts.

3 Likes

No worries on that - preach on, preach on, preach on!

Seriously, I love your enthusiasm and eloquence in describing your Australian MST3K journey and your thoughts on the Gizmoplex experience. It really is an amazing era for MSTies, and Alternaversal and all involved have crafted something extraordinarily special here.

I particularly like all the different snapshots (as it were) of the MST3K community that you provided all throughout your reflections. The very concept of the greatest fanbase in the universe being brought together even more by the implementation of the Gizmoplex is an amazing colossal one, and I couldn’t be happier to see how it’s bringing everyone together here, as it is with you and your partner.

Amen, brother. It’s just the tops, for real.

And thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and perspective on all of this. It’s stuff like your post here that leaves me adamantly convinced that this is, once again, the greatest fanbase in the universe.

11 Likes

Or Cheez Whiz, or Velveeta… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I would much rather have either.

2 Likes

I’m originally from Argentina and discovered MST3K with a friend when trying to find Manos, The Hands of Fate online, as it was one of the lowest rated movies of all time and we were curious. We only found something called “MST3K Version”, which as 15 year old argentinean guys thought was short for “Mistake Version”. We were fairly confused throughout the movie.

Once I got past that, though, my experience tracks perfectly to this post - thank you for posting it, and to the whole team for letting us international fans be a part of this experience. It really is amazing.

21 Likes

Welcome, @facucas1 and thanks for posting! I don’t think we have too many MSTies from non-English speaking countries out there! That’s pretty cool! Incidentally, your English is excellent.

8 Likes

I got sucked into the show sometime during the first season on the Comedy Channel, so I’ve been around these parts for a while now. I’m glad that being here with us this past year has helped you. But, in case you harbor any doubts, let me say that you’ve shown admirable dedication and true spirit. By the power vested in me by absolutely no one, I hereby dub you an International Fan of MSTierie.

As for Vegemite and Marmite… I’ve tried both. I wouldn’t particularly recommend either, but then, I didn’t grow up with them. As far as I can tell, the difference between the two is that Vegemite causes vegetarians to lose their powers, while Marmite weakens school marms. Is that right?

12 Likes

There is something that genuinely amuses me about that. Welcome aboard!

6 Likes

I understand the timezone frustration completely!

Being in the States and catching F1 and WRC live … sigh.

2 Likes

Cheese Whiz on Velveeta sounds a bit excessive… puts on glasses Ah…yes. Well.

6 Likes

Maybe next season they can get the rights to do an Australian movie and premiere it at like, 4am Eastern time on a Saturday, so our Aussie friends can watch it at night. A bit far-fetched, but could roll with a couple of, let’s say, non-traditional start times so our overseas friends could watch the show “live” at a convenient time for them.

5 Likes

the trick is you take a bit an mix it with butter or margarine. Do that then spread it on toast or make a toasted sandwich with cheddar.

5 Likes

As nice as that would be, we’re not really being put out by the current scheduling. The livestreams mostly start here in Australia at around 10am on Saturday, so we’re able to catch most of the premieres live. And the wonderful thing about the way they’re putting the premieres up as on-demand as well, is that if we know we have Saturday plans that conflict, we can watch the on-demand the night before (it tends to show up in the Gizmoplex at around 6 or 7pm on Friday if I’m not mistaken).

8 Likes

There is no trick. Marmite is not good in any recipe.

1 Like