The Human Body in Entertainment

:notes: In just seven days
 :notes:

5 Likes

Or The Masks

4 Likes

Then there’s this famous bit of body horror-

2 Likes

Owowowowow! No one said being a werewolf would hurt so damn much!

2 Likes

And Lon Chaney Jr’s transformations.

2 Likes

That’s less body horror and more body hair.

4 Likes

Well, why else you think they seem so pissed and murder-rage-y all the damn time?

3 Likes

INDEED. But done with STYLE. And hair is a part of the body.

1 Like

That’s a hurtful stereotype. Why, I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic’s and his hair was perfect!

3 Likes

And to make matters worse, the music doesn’t seem to help, either.

2 Likes

The other famous 80s Werewolf Transformation.

2 Likes

Only you and Warren Zevon. The rest of us are watching different movies.

2 Likes

Yeah, well I saw both Lon Chaney and Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen.

3 Likes

Okay, so I’m stretching the “entertainment” part of this, but back in the Middle Ages, the way to show evil was to show body deformations. Here’s an example from the tympanum of the entrance to Notre Dame. Notice that all the devils have faces on different parts of their bodies. That was to demonstrate their evil nature. I think we have inherited that same idea when it comes to contemporary horror because if you look at most horror villains, they’re deformed in some way.

2 Likes

The lesson implied by this is designed to move any passerby emotionally by the cautionary example it sets. This is a role entertainment has played in the past through the present.

2 Likes

I agree, although I’m differentiating injury from deformation. In the image you shared, this is a saintly person who has likely been killed for his faith and thus shows an example of true devotion. In the devils above, the deformation is inherent to them and thus demonstrates their evil nature.

1 Like

Let’s focus on the good and the beautiful

Can’t talk Trek without the absolute queen:

star trek GIF by HULU

3 Likes

I was very disappointed when I learned that they didn’t use her voice in ST V when she has a lovely voice.

1 Like

That’s Robert Picardo, probably best known as the holographic doctor on “Star Trek: Voyager”, and he’s gonna give you a piece of his mind. At that point in the movie, I began to suspect Joe Dante was pulling my leg.

I think I read a 400 word passage describing this in an Umberto Eco novel. And it’s not just in sculpture, it was common in plays as well (Richard III, anyone?), so yeah, I think you’re on the money.

Evil Uhura FTW:

I was very shocked when I heard them say “Uhura’s fan dance” like that was a thing. (Was that a thing? I don’t recall it being a thing before!)

(Oh, and Discourse gave me the 20% warning message, so I guess we’re twinsies now, @TeriG :laughing: )

3 Likes

Uh-oh! Discourse is concerned! :smiley:

Well, I guess it’s a thing insofar as she did it once in one movie for about a minute. I wouldn’t call it a defining event or anything though.

2 Likes