The I Love Cartoons Thread!

And now I’ve learned something!

3 Likes

Yeah, Colvig’s only real solo Goofy cartoon for a good long while was Goofy and Wilbur, then he left the company. They did Goofy’s Glider with someone who did their best impersonation and just kept riding the format with stock audio of Colvig doing grunts, laughs, and screams. I always loved them, because they’re some of the wackiest and energetic stuff that ever came out of Disney’s studio. Disney hated them though, because he felt Goofy lost his character, so by the 50’s they had reverted Goofy to a suburban dad that may or may not have Goofy’s voice, depending on the cartoon. Colvig eventually returned by this point though.

4 Likes

When I was a kid, I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle, Danger Mouse and Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies.

8 Likes

Oh, and remembered a few more that were pure, comic geek heaven for me…

Batman: The Animated Series

and

Justice League Unlimited

-swoon-

5 Likes

I grew up with all the basics: Looney Tunes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-Man, She-Ra, Inspector Gadget, etc, along with some more esoteric ones like Belle & Sebastian and Cities of Gold, but I haven’t really watched much animation on TV (plenty in the movies, natch) in the last 20 years. Maybe I should start up again.

One notable exception: TRON: Uprising. Dang, I wish they’d bring that back.

4 Likes

I constantly find myself mumbling “doo doo doo doo DOO doo-doo, Freakazoid, Freakazoid” to myself

6 Likes

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS!!!

5 Likes

There’ve been a lot of good cartoons in the last few years. I’ve already mentioned Gravity Falls and the new Duck Tales. Here’s my suggestions for others, but I like fun and silly.

Craig of the Creek: about three kids and their adventures at the local creek. It’s pretty much what childhood imagination was like.

Anything by Craig McCracken, who created Powerpuff Girls back in the day. They’ve all got great animation and are a bit crazy. Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends is what is says, with lots of cool monster designs. Wander Over Yonder is about a friendly alien and the evil but awesome Lord Hater, and may be my favorite of his creations. There’s also Kid Cosmic on Netflix, which I’ve watched the first season of. It’s about a kid who finds some power rings and wants to be a superhero.

Angry Lord Hater GIF

There’s various more serious ones, too, but I tend not to get into those.

5 Likes

:musical_note:Sandy Frank, Sandy Frank! :musical_note:

3 Likes

I know Rocky and Bullwinkle was briefly mentioned upthread, but they need more of a promotion. Rocky, Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha, Dudley Do-Right, Fractured Fairy Tales and so many other Jay Ward cartoons were fundamental to my childhood development.

9 Likes

I love cartoons, especially the really old cartoons… Figured I would share since I hadn’t seen anyone post any Fleischer toons yet. They’ve recently discovered and restored/remastered quite a few of their old films by raiding finds via Patreon. They were the creators of Koko, Popeye, Betty Boop, Rudolph and many others in-between like Cob-Web Hotel. The color just pops off the screen. I’ll share one of their most famous here, most would have seen it on animation compilations or via the King of Cartoons on Pee-Wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special. Be sure to check out their full channel and consider contributing. Enjoy! Christmas Comes But Once A Year | Max Fleischer’s Color Classics | 1936 | Fleischer Studios Cartoon - YouTube

3 Likes

I posted about Fleischer. I even posted a Koko cartoon.

3 Likes

Those were DePatie-Freleng, not Jay Ward.

2 Likes

Strange, I haven’t been able to see it, did it get buried under a thread?

3 Likes

But they were part of the Rocky & Bullwinkle world were they not?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Nope. Not related.

2 Likes

I must be doing something wrong because I don’t see the video preview. =/

3 Likes

This thread squares my breasts.
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

It didn’t show up when I pasted the link just there but it’s there near the top of the thread.

2 Likes