The Kids in the Hall

Agreed, so happy I bought the CD when I had the chance.

1 Like

It’s also on the Brain Candy soundtrack, which itself is quite good, and has a Paul Bellini song right before the Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet song. But its claim to fame for me is introducing me to Cibo Matto.

2 Likes

I forgot all about Viva Variety. Did a search and Archive.org has some episodes.

1 Like

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet released a song called We’re not a f###### Surf Band.
Then they later released a box set, called Oh, I guess we were a f###### Surf Band after all.
I like that.

4 Likes

I wanted to get my hands on it because it was a complete set of records of all their releases plus bonus stuff but it was only available in limited quantities in record store day and at the time I was really struggling with anxiety and didn’t go out to pick it up!!

Regrets I have a few…

1 Like

Mere words cannot convey my loathing for RSD and its attendant hype. The one day of the year you WON’T find me in a record shop.
It’s like going to the pub on New Year’s Eve and finding yourself surrounded by noisy amateur drinkers.

2 Likes

I just hate that there are day specific releases and if you aren’t there early you’re outta luck until they surface on eBay at twice the price

Thanks, I’ll go look!

1 Like

All I know is that I thoroughly enjoyed it and since I am on vacation in an Airbnb I got to watch it without paying a dime to Amazon. It feels like a win to me.

2 Likes

Ooh, just seen who the “Friend of the Show” is, in Episode 8!

That was a pleasing surprise, seeing a friend of MST3K on there.

Pretty solid season from the Kids, could have been a lot worse seeing how some other reboots have gone. Just enough returning characters to make it interesting without coasting on past fame. If they do get another season, I would really like to see the return of Chicken Lady, and especially of Simon & Hecubus.

3 Likes

Loved the new season, I’m only on season 3 of the original

How nice to being seeing them for the first time! One thing I really loved about the original seasons was the short films they made, like The Beard, The Car, and the David Lynch-like Sausages. There was some flirting around the edges of that in the new season, too.

2 Likes

Most of the short films were written by Bruce McCulloch and Sausages was his magnum opus for sure.

4 Likes

I’ll admit, having had Lilo and Stitch and Catscratch and other VO appearances in my childhood, seeing the work that got MacDonald the gigs is really great. I’d seen some of McKinney’s SNL work but most prominently Superstore. Boy am I glad that the voice he used at the latter was for the character and not a voice he sticks to as part of a professional shtick. Dave Foley has made so many sitcom appearances over the years even after NewsRadio that he still might be the biggest name. The fact that Dr. Ken was five years ago is a bit concerning on the “Time is a thief” end of things…

1 Like

I have the complete original series on DVD… time for a re-watch, I guess.

3 Likes

So glad they referenced “Brain Candy” in the first episode! It’s delightfully weird and funny and doesn’t get much love

5 Likes

So I was listening to a song some time in the past… was Alan Alda just another Kid in the Hall?

It has a great soundtrack too.

“Who’s financing this time? The Devil again?”
“Well, sort of… Amazon.”

3 Likes