The Official Donut Thread!

We have a place here called Square Donuts that does, in fact, mostly make square donuts. They’re decent, but I miss being able to walk down a few blocks to a tiny donut shop in L.A. and get donuts and coffee. We were able to do that in more than one place where we lived. We have to drive across town to Square Donuts. Also, they only take cash, which means we have to go to an ATM first, and they don’t have the selection I’d like. But I’ll always take fresh donuts over the stale crap Dunkin trucks in to its locations from a central bakery.

4 Likes

Krispy Kreme rolled into Yankeeland a few years ago (also buying up and tanking Montana Mills Bread, the bastiges) and just as quickly rolled out because the general populace decided that they were really just cotton candy in a donut shape.

Wilford Brimley Diabetes GIF by The Diabetic Survivor
Also, the locals are oddly loyal to Dunkin Donuts.

4 Likes

In Westwood, CA, we had a doughnut (even spelled that way) shop called Stan’s. They had great doughnuts with some fun (though not especially bizarre) varieties, like a peanut-butter-and-jelly.

Closed in 2020. :frowning:

That teriyaki place was good, too.

2 Likes

Here in Austin, we have typical choices: the turd rockets from Shipley’s or Dunkin. But those in the know go to Mrs. Johnson’s Donuts. It’s a hole in the wall place that has no “ambience” (unless that’s what you consider walking into the bakery) and doesn’t open until 7PM. You’re guaranteed to get the freshest pastries that can possibly fit into your face hole. And for anyone who suggests Round Rock Donuts: they’re basically the same as conveyor belt hockey puck donuts fried in orange-colored grease.

3 Likes

“Wonder Bread™ with a hole in it” is my customary description.

Store-brand saltines have more character. Just dunk 'em in sugar.

2 Likes

Krispy Kreme launched an offensive out here a decade ago.

Only two stores remain. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I feel like our enemies are slacking off. I searched the whole Regrettable Foods thread, but nothing there yet about Krispy Kreme Vodka or Doritos.

2 Likes

The local place I loved went and changed their recipes or maybe it’s under new management.

I treated myself to two, one a custard filled with maple on top, and I tell ya, heaven went to hell. I couldn’t finish it, are you sure that’s custard because it looks and tastes a lot like hand soap. It was white, not that yellowy, stuff.

Took a bite of the next one, just a regular donut, no filling and I had to spit that out. Gah, look what they’ve done to my donut, ma?

Not only that, but it looks like they are just slathering Betty Crocker frosting atop their eclairs… NO NO NO, where’s the ganache?

Well, that was one way of making me not eat this stuff anymore. I can no longer be led into temptation.

3 Likes

Kids’ brains always taste better when they’ve been thinking about donuts!

2 Likes

I hear adrenochrome tastes like jelly filling.

1 Like

My mother’s donuts are a saint!

2 Likes

Apparently these are actually made and legally sold for human consumption –

Sorry, those aren’t donuts (much like some things around where I live that claim to be donuts.)

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

TERIYAKI DONUTS

1 Like

If Stan had made Teriyaki donuts, they would’ve rocked.

1 Like