The one billion dollar B movie!

I’ve actually won an award in a national writing competition, but to each their own.

2 Likes

FWIW the ad that inspired the tale of that 6-word “story” dates back to around 1906, which was followed by a short article highlighting its sadness, published in 1910. Mr. H. was around 6-9 years old at that time. The tale was recounted and even parodied several times over the decades until it made its way to being recounted as a “display of genius” by Hemingway around 1991. If the Hemingway napkin tale is indeed true, it’s more a display of memory recall than anything. (See Wikipedia, Snopes, etc.)

3 Likes

lol but in his defense, he probably hasn’t dropped the N-Word all over his stories like Hemingway did. (And yeah even then there were contemporaries of Big H. who managed to avoid that.)

2 Likes

Yeah, some of your super hero write ups are already better than that napkin anecdote; which I think was actually made up for a writing competition, but there’s no accounting for taste ! :smiley:

3 Likes

He is a legendary writer read by millions.

lol So are Jackie Collins and Harold Robbins.

The dude’s oeuvre was aptly described by one late-20th Century commentator as “a roasted chestnut.”

2 Likes

My point was not whether or not Hemingway was a good writer. While that is somewhat subjective, he is loved and known by many. My point was whether or not a good writer would write for a B-movie, and the answer is yes, if you pay them. If they’re desperate enough, they’ll work for Corman money.

3 Likes

And Hemingway already appeared in The Slime People !!

3 Likes

To be fair, he may have been coming off a bender. “What the HELL am I doing in this movie?”

4 Likes

I was a little distracted to comment on this earlier, but…

BITE ME, HEMINGWAY!

shawn michaels dx GIF by WWE

3 Likes

I think a lot of “B movies” with Hollywood budgets already exist. For example, Green Lantern, The Chronicles of Riddick, Ghost Rider, Battleship, the Jumanji remakes, Battleship, most of the Transformers offerings, the matrix sequels, Face/off, and countless others.

Plus you can look to B movie directors like Sam Raimi to see the progression of things like Evil Dead to Army of Darkness.

Or B movie actors that progress to big budget films like Jackie Chan.

2 Likes

With all due respect, I find that film utterly unwatchable. But I cede your point. Mars Attacks! (1996) is a B Movie lived large with unlimited funds. Stars, set design, effects. It is razzle dazzle as exploitation. Problem is such assets make clear what little was there in the first place. Sometimes less is more.

2 Likes

Is the work of Hemmingway better than anything I will ever write? YOU be the judge! Check out my short book, The Galaxy Brigade #1!

Back to the topic at hand, it’s certainly not hard to see the influence of B-Movies in modern cinema, as people like James Cameron and Ron Howard cut their teeth working with the like of Roger Corman and Bert I. Gordon.

2 Likes

On the one hand, Mars Attacks! is not a very good movie.

On the other hand… ACK! ACK ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK ACK ACK ACK! ACK ACK!

Cool; he made the International Sign of the Donut. – @whatwouldwaltdo on Tumblr

6 Likes
3 Likes

Mars Attacks may not be a good movie; it IS however, a very FUN movie, at least in my opinion. It’s a Burton film without many of the Burton-isms. And, hey! Joe Don Baker is in it! He’s fun.

6 Likes

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. I thought it was a trial to sit through. Tacky, abrasive, obvious. Fun isn’t a word I’d use. To quote Monty Python, “RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!”

1 Like

Oh, I thought Mars Attacks was hysterical!

They blew up Congress! :laughing:

4 Likes

YARN | Whoa. He made the international sign of the doughnut. | Mars Attacks! (1996) | Video clips by quotes | 98d8a917 | 紗

1 Like

Not everything will appeal to everyone. It came out when I was still working in a comic shop and I was able to watch at the local premier with one of my bosses at the time.

I had a blast, my boss absolutely hated it. And that is absolutely fine. At least we get to be able to discuss it.

4 Likes