Weird food you like

Can I reheat this curried seabass real quick before you stick those in there?

9 Likes

MAKE. THEM. ALL. PAY!

(lol…the discourse server wants me to know this seems unclear and may not even be a full sentence!)

7 Likes

Here’s the grossest concotion I’ve ever heard.

No, it is not something I would ever drink, but I heard some bartenders talking about it, so apparently people consume this.

Three shot glasses. One filled with tequila, another with Bloody Mary mix, and the third with pickle juice. Taken rapidly in order. Supposedly it tastes like its name, “The Cheeseburger.”

If anyone in this thread enjoys this, I declare that person a winner…of something.

////////////////

I have enjoyed horse tartar, though, and would eat it anytime. Many people in the US have likely eaten horse, either willingly back in the 1970s, or unknowingly.

Wouldn’t call it weird, but in the US, you can’t really get good horseflesh. Maybe off the back of a truck or something.

////////////////////

Maybe blood sausage…but it’s hard to tell what’s weird and what are just regional things that most people don’t enjoy.

The Finnish have made a most excellent art form of these in various shapes and formulas, and I’ve witnessed several people call them out as vile-sounding. And, of course, the French and francophone Cajun land, very popular.

However, the ones I’ve been able to make or buy are very much to my taste.

I vote “not weird,” but “a lot of people think they’re weird.” Hard to tell.

//////////////

Goat? Nah, not weird IMHO, but it’s acceptable to me.

2 Likes

I’ve only tried two types of blood pudding; the British black pudding and the Spanish morcilla. Both delicious.
There’s a shop up the road from me that sells goat, which is very nice in a Caribbean-style curry.

3 Likes

I like the tuna from Subway. That could be considered weird depending on what the “tuna” really is. I also like a nice fried spam sandwich.

Soylent Green Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

4 Likes

I’ve really tried to like Scotch, and I keep trying different ones in the hope that one will finally ring the “this is not cologne” bell, but it’s just not happening.

Whether this is a personal failing or not, I think the stuff is just wasted on me, and I’ll happily swap it for bourbon. I mean, like, HAPPILY, so you know, don’t hesitate to ask!

6 Likes

Anyone else got this in the fridge? I dunno how popular it is outside of the mid-atlantic region.

Scrapple has its roots in Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine. It’s basically a loaf of pig offal, pork scraps and corn-meal, seasoned with herbs and spices. Cut into slices, dredged with flour, and pan-fried, it is one of my breakfast favorites.

3 Likes

I actually really love fried spam too!

(looks around frantically for Vikings)

5 Likes

And now I’m reminded of the fact that while most of this thread isn’t my idea of fine dining, it’s not measurably weirder than the relentless corporate cross-pollination of food we’re all used to seeing now. I mean, various mash-ups of popular breakfast cereals, fast-food tacos with shells made from famous crispy snack foods, etc.

Also I’d rather hear about this stuff than yet another crappy-sounding flavor of that one overrated sandwich cookie which took over a whole damn supermarket aisle well before viruses caused other related problems at the supermarket.

4 Likes

Agreed. And for whatever it’s worth, Doritos & peanut butter was a favorite snack of one of my friends in the mid-'80s, and it was way weirder at the time.

One person’s weird is another person’s traditional. A local restaurant offers burgers and dogs with peanut butter and asian slaw as a standard pair of toppings, giving them an instant Thai vibe.

4 Likes

I just remembered one. My mom had a “50s food night” when I was a teenager featuring food her mother made when she was a kid and one of them was chicken in aspic, which is basically chicken Jell-O. I thought it was delicious.

5 Likes

Kimchi.

6 Likes

Kimchi is good. The Koreans like the vinegar-y stuff.

Was it?

3 Likes

Those are a Midwest staple. They showed up at family gatherings in Wisconsin all the time. They usually make an appearance at work potlucks as well.

3 Likes

My popcorn: drizzle of Sriracha and tossed with a couple shakes of dry ranch mix. Unbuttered. I will fight you if you try to take it from me.

You’re welcome.

3 Likes

Ooh. I need to try this next time I’m eating carbs…

3 Likes

I’m from what is jokingly called the Jello Belt. It stretches from southeastern Idaho down through the Wasatch Front in Utah. If you don’t know of this stereotype, let me tell you that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called Mormons) are known for eating lots of jello. In strange combinations that seem normal to us but bizarre to others. I don’t have pictures of them, but here are a few of the jello combos I grew up eating.

My favorite: lime jello with cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and pineapple mixed in

The classic: orange jello with shredded carrots and/or pineapple

For the holidays: lime jello blended with Cool Whip and studded with maraschino cherries OR any red jello (usually raspberry) blended with Cool Whip and raspberries and huckleberries mixed in

For those who want to be fancy (and have a lot of time on their hands): Seven layer jello where you have thin layers of different jello flavors each one individually jelled on top of the other. It takes all day.

My SIL’s specialty: Pretzel jello salad: Raspberry jello, cream cheese on top of a pretzel crust

That’s just a few. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now there’s a jello I’ve never had. :smiley:

3 Likes

New challenge: Hotdish jello salad

4 Likes

Oh, those go on their own table next to the hotdishes.

3 Likes