Weird food you like

Wait a minute… are you trying to say that I was… chasing time?

I know that much has been said about that Pulp Fiction dialogue about it, but mayo on fries is fantastic. Same with mustard.

Also, horseradish, incidentally. [gestures to @DAV’s post]

3 Likes

The run-up to mustard on fries would be those old French’s ads where they told housewives to add it to mashed potatoes when fixing Shepherd’s Pie. (I’ve got a couple of those pics somewhere.)

2 Likes

Ooh I love a good haggis. So tasty…

I am also in the Brussels sprouts are good camp.

Pineapple on pizza=very yes

Big fan of Creton, a French-Canadian pork paté not sure how many people are interested in it but it’s very tasty

2 Likes

psychyouknowthatsright4

7 Likes

Yeah, maybe. But the “smoke monsters” like the Laphroiags, the Ardbegs, etc. don’t seem to be anywhere as near as popular as the Macallans, the Glenmos, the Johnnys and such.

I do usually have a Johnny Black neat if I want to have something besides cheap beer at a bar, though. It does have a hint of peat in it, as do most Scotches I’ve had. Just nowhere near as much as a Laphroiag 10 (that’s the upper end of my budget, since if I buy even a nice bottle, I’ll usually drink it in a day). At my dive bar, even though they don’t even have Black Bush or anything much in Irish except a musty old bottle of Powers Gold, they do have Laphroaig 10 and 12, I think, but pretty expensive (although no doubt a generous pour). Considering how much I spend on the “jukebox” it shouldn’t be a big deal, but I prefer to drink it at home, and, yes, I like a tiny bit of water in the Laphroiag, which is somehow easy to add at home than asking for a teaspoon and getting fairly cold water as a back in a rock’s glass. Johnny Black’s good enough for dive bar drinking on occasion AFAIC.

Good Doktor! I’ve got to say the Maytag has its allure, and I wouldn’t hesitate serving it to hypothetical guests. The Point Reyes, also a US brand is…well…it has its own very voluptuous texture.

My favorites are still the Roquefort and the Bleu d’Auvergne.

I was probably wrong to say that’s an unusual or weird food: but I’m still the only person I know who will happily eat a block or two of cheese and a few crackers and call that a very good meal.

Same with sardines: weird? No: find them in any grocery store. I just don’t see people eating them out of the can ever.

2 Likes

lol. When I dabbled in martial arts once upon a time, I was the only woman in my class. When we’d hang out at my rented place after practice I’d just let everyone else have at the bottle of Glenfiddich I’d gotten as a gift sometime. Stuff never tasted like anything but shampoo to me so the sooner it disappeared the sooner I’d have space on my shelf for Maker’s Mark. :smirk:

4 Likes

Oh, man, you guys wouldn’t believe the weird stuff I like.

Take some ordinary dough and cover it with tomato sauce, cheese and maybe some spicy cold cuts. Throw it in the oven and you have what the Italians call “pee-zah”.

Put some corn meal in the dough, deep fry it, then cover it with beef, beans and cheese, and you’ll be eating what Mexicans call “toh-stah-dah”.

Instead of bacon with your breakfast, why not do what our neighbors to the north do? They take their breakfast meat from the back of the pig instead of the belly. They still call it “bacon” but we’ll call it “cah-NAY-dee-en bay-con”.

4 Likes

That’s crazy talk, @moviegique. CRAZY TALK.

5 Likes

Deviled Ham. It’s spam’s classier brother.

6 Likes

not that I’ve done this in ages, but when I was back in high school, I would break up and cook a packet of instant noodles with the flavor pack (chicken worked best), and drain off all the water.

I would then grab a Kaiser Roll, poke a hole and hollow out the middle, so I could pour the dried cooled noodles inside.

Good eating??? Maybe not, but it made sense at the time. And give me something filling to eat while walking as the school was about a 30 minute walk away.

2 Likes

If we’re going back to childhood, I used to have ketchup sandwiches and cottage cheese and yogurt mixed together in one bowl. I don’t know that I would have either now.

2 Likes

Mighty convenient when you want 5 lbs. of salt on a sandwich but the grains keep slipping out the sides of the bread and making the counter all gritty. :wink:

1 Like

Pickles!
Dill, Sweet, don’t matter to me cause I’ll eat’em :yum:

1 Like

Not really weird unless you’re slicing them over oatmeal or stirring hot chocolate with them or somethin’.

5 Likes

Or eating 'em with ice cream (if you’re not pregnant and in a '60s sitcom).

2 Likes

I remember Brussels sprouts from my childhood, in the bad old days of British food, when an entire generation had grown up with rationing and so much heritage and knowledge had been lost. Vile, metallic-tasting, overboiled and compulsory only at Christmas.
Thankfully, I love them these days, cooked properly, maybe with chestnuts and bacon. They’re also great raw, shredded into a salad.

6 Likes

Pro Tip: Dip nacho cheese Doritos in creamy peanut butter … it’s like spicy Nabs/ToastChee.

4 Likes

We’ve done 'em first blanched, then sauteed in olive oil with dried dark cherries and toasted hazelnuts. :yum: (But I think over the last 10-12 years they’ve become trendy rather than weird in these parts anyway.)

2 Likes

I’ve read brussels sprouts were bred to be milder and sweeter starting around the 80s. I was probably given the older style of sprout when I was a kid. They definitely were more metallic. I don’t remember hating them enough to avoid eating them dutifully, now I like them.

4 Likes

The best thing about brussels sprouts is heating them up in the office microwave.

9 Likes