Weird Movie Suggestions for my 12-year-old Daughter

That said, if you ever get a chance to see a production of the Broadway version of Tommy, it’s terrific.

3 Likes

On second thought, I would not want to explain Uncle Ernie to my children.

3 Likes

Right.

2 Likes

Oh but hey yeah Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is a good contender.

3 Likes

Oof. Not sure if I can sit through that one again.

2 Likes

I had the soundtrack album and novelization way before I ever saw the movie, so perhaps that’s why I have a different opinion of it.

Or maybe perhaps it’s because we are different people. No way to tell, really.

3 Likes

It’s a great album, I’ll give it that.

2 Likes

How about Cats Don’t Dance? It’s kinda weird and has Scott Bakula voicing a singing cat.

There’s also an animated version of George MacDonald’s The Princess and the Goblin that’s pretty trippy.

4 Likes

Bloodbath at the House of Death might not be totally age appropriate, but it’s pretty silly and Vincent Price is worth the price of admission by himself.

3 Likes

Oh, Mars Attacks! is missing from this thread.

5 Likes

Has she beheld the weird world of Sid & Marty Krofft?

Bonus points – Directed by the great Hollingsworth Morse!

3 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t think about that part!

3 Likes

You let a 12 year old watch Forbidden Zone?!

4 Likes

I saw worse at her age and she was way into Oingo Boingo.

3 Likes

How about Strange Brew?

4 Likes

Oo! I don’t know if she’d be into it or not, but I love it myself. Best adaptation of Hamlet ever.

2 Likes

I commend her for her taste in music, but whew boy, that’s a crazy one.

I’d recommend The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Robo Vampire, and anything by Jans Svankmajer.

5 Likes

By the time I was her age, I had seen every Nightmare on Elm Street movie and saw Aliens and The Last Temptation of Christ in the theater. My parents were film historians, so we had all the movie channels and they let me watch what I wanted to watch for the most part. Between all the ultra-violence and gore of those movies and the sex comedy of movies like Porky’s and the Revenge of the Nerds series, I had seen plenty worse than anything in Forbidden Zone. I would totally have been ready for Forbidden Zone by 12 and she definitely enjoyed it. She got a Forbidden Zone shirt for Christmas.

I understand where you’re coming from, but she’s mature enough to handle Forbidden Zone more than seeing Freddy eviscerate a teenager.

4 Likes

On that note, RiffTrax once offered a colorized version of Forbidden Zone without a commentary back when they were owned by Legend Films. It’s no longer available but that was how I became aware of the film.

I’m wondering if she would be interested in Night of the Comet. I remember that being quite a trip.

3 Likes

I was 12 when it came out and saw it in theaters and it’s a month away.

Bill Murray GIF

5 Likes