Well, they weren't always that bad . . .

Robert Easton may have played a pervy old farmer with a back brace in Giant Spider Invasion, but he was also a respected dialect coach in Hollywood.

10 Likes

Thom Matthews was in Alien From L.A. but Return Of The Living Dead is a good horror comedy and F13 VI is the best of the sequels.

friday the 13th horror movies GIF by absurdnoise

3 Likes

I’ve been so glad to see Part VI get more recognized online these days, because its super fun, easily my favorite of the series. My favorite quote is when two campers are hiding from Jason under the bed and one says, “So, what did you want to be when you grew up?”

2 Likes

I scanned this carefully ahead of commenting. John Carradine. A venerable character actor succeeding in Hollywood for decades. Captains Courageous (1937), The Hurricane (1937), Jesse James (1939), Stagecoach (1939), Drums Along the Mohawk (1939), The Grapes of Wrath (1940), The Return of Frank James (1940), Man Hunt (1941), Swamp Water (1941), Johnny Guitar (1954), The Egyptian (1954), The Kentuckian (1955), The Ten Commandments (1956), Around the World in 80 Days (1956), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), and Cheyenne Autumn (1964). These are proof he graced good films and that his B-Movie appearances were to make ends meet.

8 Likes

Donald Pleasence. We naturally know Halloween (1978). He popped into lots of 60s and 70s staples. The Great Escape (1963), The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965), The Hallelujah Trail (1965), Cul-de-sac (1966), Fantastic Voyage (1966), The Night of the Generals (1967), You Only Live Twice (1967), Will Penny (1968), THX-1138 (1971), The Black Windmill (1974), Escape to Witch Mountain (1974), The Last Tycoon (1976), The Eagle Has Landed (1976), Oh God! (1977), and Telefon (1977). The man inhabited villains much of his later career. Every once in awhile someone saw beyond the typecasting.

14 Likes

This is where this thread merges with the Not As Advertised thread. A few months ago going down a free streaming rabbit hole I came across “Wake in Fright” starring Donald Pleasance. Given the title and actor, I figured I was in for standard '70s horror. What I got was far different. A city boy is posted as a teacher in a rural town and is lured into (and shocked by) local diversions such as gambling, nonstop drinking, creeping on local young women, and, in an incredibly disturbing scene, night hunting of kangaroos. It’s not an easy movie to watch given the themes and grittiness, but it is far from a bad movie. I’m surprised it’s not better known.

6 Likes

mst3k801clint

That goofy lab tech from Revenge of the Creature did some other stuff, I guess.

11 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

When your movie starts with Jason coming back as an unstoppable murder zombie Frankenstein’s Monster style after a lightning strike, ripping out Arnold Horshack’s heart, and spoofing the James Bond gun barrel intro sequence, you know you have the best movie in the Friday the 13th series on your hands. AND IT SOMEHOW GETS EVEN BETTER FROM THERE.

7 Likes

And don’t forget one of the best Columbo episodes!

6 Likes

That’s where the Dead Meat podcast and Youtube series got it’s name from.

“Real dead meat!”

2 Likes

How about at 6:20 of this episode of the classic kid’s show Mr. Wizard’s World? The aluminum experiment features none other than a young Christian Malcolm, years before his rise to infamy as Troy from The Final Sacrifice.

6 Likes

Still has that HEEENeHHENNNEH smile.

The Death Race 2000 remake. The Battle of Britain (With every other actor that inhabited the UK. No, seriously, all of them were in it.) Fred C. Dobbs (Not the one from The Treasure of Sierra Madre’ the other Fred C. Dobbs) And he reads the opening to Grace Jones’ rock opera, Slave to the Rhythm.

He intros it, so you can stop after 4 seconds. The man is a true cinema god.

2 Likes

As weird as it sounds, I feel that way about nearly every villain in an episode of Columbo. The fact that they always develop the villains first and they are the ones with the ‘character arcs’, so to speak, always means they get the character development.

And the villains were often people that you wouldn’t think of as murderers. Dick Van Dyke. Johnny Cash. Both Jim West and Artemis Gordon. Both Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

Outside of any Patrick McGoohan episode, my favorite was probably Clive Revill from ‘The Conspirators’. The man could turn on the charm like no other, but could still be chilling.

7 Likes

Outside of any Jack Cassidy episode, my favorite was probably Louis Jourdan from ‘Murder Under Glass.’

5 Likes

Columbo is like Batman; it’s all about the villain! My biggest complaint is that we got teased by having Vincent Price in an episode without being the murderer.

6 Likes

David Hasselhoff was in Starcrash. Alongside the allegedly hungover legend Christopher Plummer.

8 Likes

I believe Shatner was a murderer on Columbo twice.

As two different characters, not the same murderer.

9 Likes

Yep! The episodes were titled “Fade In to Murder” and “Butterfly in Shades of Gray.”

9 Likes

“Butterfly in Shades of Gray” had an especially suspenseful and clever ending, I thought. One of the better episodes from the reboot.

5 Likes