What are you watching right now???

Just revisited s13e12: The Bubble. Still a tremendously stupid movie, so thank God for the riffing.

4 Likes

Veronica Mars s2e1

My intro to Krysten Ritter and Tessa Thompson, years before they joined Marvel. Oh, and some 80s cinema icon who was in every other comedy.

season 9 GIF

2 Likes

Well, I was going to watch the series finale of Barry but HBO/Max seems to have some server problems…I blame nerds!

Against better judgment I’m watching Looper again. I saw it when it came out, and thought it was cute or whatever, but I don’t know if I want to look at that Third Rock from the Sun kid a whole bunch…meh…whatevs.

/* Oh, no…I can feel it…my mind’s going…I don’t like this…click!

Eh…well…maybe Conan the Barbarian? John Milius will give me strength!

Maybe Rick Beato has an especially pungent rant against kids these days on utube. That could be good.

OK! The Long Goodbye (1973). Haven’t seen that in a while. Why not. Well…there are some reasons why not, but I can skip over the Elliott Gould parts.

Wait a minute! Didn’t I just see the first twenty minutes a few days ago? Oh well, my memory’s not that good!

It’s OK with me!*/

2 Likes

I’m just tuning into Summer Games Done Quick on Twitch to watch some fun speedruns and raise some money for charity

Gotta go fast!

2 Likes

Cycling really is a cosmopolitan sport; I started watching a little in early 2021, but I’ve been gaga for it for the last 18 months. It’s HUGE in Europe, with large followings in Oceania and South America.

It’s unique amongst sports in that often an entire team of athletes is working towards one person’s victory. So it really is the ultimate in team sports. It’s often called “chess on wheels,” but the basics are just that, basic…don’t crash and cross the finish line first.

If you have Peacock, they have a few of the big races available there. I have GCN+ (Global Cycling Network), so I can get about 75% of the big races with much better coverage than what NBC does. :joy:

I really do recommend checking it out. It’s such a great sport.

And to bring it back on topic, this evening I’m watching the prologue (opening time trial) of the Tour of Norway. This is Axel Laurance of the Alpacin-Deceuninck UCI team coming up the last little climb.

(PS: “Mechanical” refers to something going wrong with the bike during the race. In the case we were talking about, rider Primoz Roglic’s bike chain came off the gears. He managed to snap it back on, continued, and won by 40 seconds! :eyes:)

1 Like

An especially ludicrous plot even by the standards of these movies. But it does offer the wonderful and unjustly forgotten Gale Sondergaard. She won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress (the first one ever awarded) for her film debut in Anthony Adverse in 1936. By 1944, she was a Universal contract actress appearing in movies such as this and The Invisible Man’s Revenge (directed by Ford Beebe). She’s a delightful actress and her character is easily the match for Holmes here. Her husband, director Herbert Biberman was named one of the Hollywood Ten in the commie hunts of the day and she disappeared from films for twenty years beginning in 1949.

2 Likes

Road cycling is also unique in that it is completely free for the spectators. They just have to find a spot to watch the riders go by. The teams and races are supported by sponsorships.

2 Likes

Finishing Stage 21. What a win for the Manx Missile!

1 Like

I know, right! Again, I was screaming…and with G deputizing himself as Cav’s leadout man! Could this drama llama of a race finished any other way?

I just really, REALLY wish there hadn’t been that last crash. I hated seeing Pascal Ackermann torn up like that. I noticed though, that Cav came over and asked if he was okay…then went to pat him on the back…and caught himself before accidentally slapping Pascal’s road rash. That made me giggle a bit.

But really, those people who were complaining that this Giro was boring should just shut up. There was SO MUCH goodness in this race. (And hot take: I don’t think Remco would’ve challenged much in that third week.)

Back on topic, of course…the second stage of Boucles de La Mayenne is running on my secondary work monitor right now. Trying to catch up on all the racing I missed while mainlining the Giro!

2 Likes

The Criterion du Dauphine starts on the 10th.

2 Likes

Yeah, I noticed on the “live upcoming” ticker. I have to watch the NBC coverage (they have the license for the Dauphine) , which means I’ll only get the last half to a third of each stage, but I’ll take it. I know Vindegaard will be there - it’s Jumbo’s dress rehearsal for TdF - but I’m curious to see who else will turn up.

2 Likes

Tune-up race for the TDF.

2 Likes

After the Battlebots season finale, the Netflix algorithm kept offering up one dud after another, until…She-Ra. Which I am just loving.

2 Likes

It has been a day and three quarters, so time for comfort viewing.

And the lesser of two weevils.

5 Likes

I saw it in the theater! It was all kinds of fun. I put it more in the category of Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil or Ready or Not. Big gory fun with engaging characters where you sort of feel bad about laughing at some of the awful things happening on screen.

A completely different vibe, but also big gory fun, was Sisu. When it was over I wanted to watch it again and might have but it was the last screening at the theater. So I came home and watched Tombstone again.

1 Like

I am in intense pain.

4 Likes

Finished all of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel a few days ago, really nice ending to that series. Then did a quick rewatch of my favorite moments from the series, that is one thing that streaming is really great for, you want to watch a scene from a episode, only takes a few seconds to get there.

Just finished the last season of Better Call Saul. The last few episodes are a trip down memory lane, sort of, and the “flashbacks” make it so you won’t get the most from this series unless you watch Breaking Bad first. Pretty good ending I guess, as good as can be expected given the themes involved. The switching to black and white for extended scenes was an interesting choice.

1 Like

I loved the season as a whole, but thought the final episode was just OK.
If Alex Borstein doesn’t win another Emmy it’ll be a crime.

1 Like

Doctor Who
“Image of the Fendahl” Part 1
IMG_0984

6 Likes

Watched 40 movies today.

Course they were Edison shorts, some only running 30 seconds to a minute. But still, 40 movies! Including this one, which reminds me of an episode of an old sitcom, where little kids publish local gossip.

3 Likes