What did MST3K introduce you to?

I DO!!! Sign me up!

2 Likes

Japan in many ways because I previously had very little interest. It was my interest in Kaiju beyond Godzilla that helped me start a friendship with someone in Tokyo. Since then I’ve been learning about culture, mythology, a little bit of language, and what it’s like to move to Japan from Western culture. I prefer movies in original Japanese over the dubbed version. I learned that the name “PeeWee” pronounced in Japanese sounds like “Tibby.” Ken is a common name because it’s short for many names. Almost like Bubba in the US gets used for any male name. One thing I didn’t expect about Japan is the prevalence of English. It’s a bit hard to explain without examples. You’ll notice it a little in some movies.

5 Likes

The concept of riffing movies in general. Prior to seeing the show I’d never heard of anyone actively making fun of a movie while watching it (even if they enjoyed it); now I can’t imagine my life if I wasn’t able to make sarcastic comments about a movie, even if it is under my breath if I happen to be in a movie theater, while watching it.

I also got introduced to my love of generally bad movies as well as creature features, to the point that a good… probably fifth of my movie collection is dedicated solely to bad movies, no matter the genre, or creature features.

7 Likes

Mostly a better appreciation for the science and art of making movies. Also, knowing more about Midwestern culture which I probably never would have thought twice about if not for MST.

9 Likes

I heard them make a lot of references to the Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 and I always assumed it was a cheesy movie of the week or something. Later, I saw it had Walter Matthau and took note. It is one of my favourite 70s movies and recommend it whenever I can.

3 Likes

Ed Wood!

Im an unwashed heathen who would have missed out otherwise

4 Likes

UNCLEAN! Kill the—no, wait, what am I saying? Welcome aboard! Here’s your complementary angora sweater…

4 Likes

10 Likes

I grew up as A Lutheran in Wisconsin and then another 17 years in Chicago-land so a lot of the regional and religious jokes hit home with me; but all the other cultural/pop-cultural references I don’t know have led to me searching out who, what, where? (Google, Wikipedia) and resulted in my watching movies and reading bios I would otherwise not have known about.

5 Likes

Since it’s on the Gizmoplex right now, ever since Teenagers From Outer Space, I would sing “It’s the New Zoo Revue…” without really knowing the context. So, a few months ago, I decided to look it up.

… I was totally unprepared. It’s disturbing in the way that only 70s children’s television can be.

5 Likes

It’s the new zoo review.

And it’s coming right at you.

RIGHT. AT. YOU.

4 Likes

Talking to people from Minnesota.
“Oh you’re from Minnesota? Do you like MST3K?”
“Yeah, saw Joel at the mall once”
“Nice!”

3 Likes

Rock climbing, guys. Rock climbing.

4 Likes