What episode (or episodes) have you watched recently?

I just watched GGM earlier this week, too. Not 100% sure, but it may have been the first episode I ever saw. (The other possibility is The Indestructible Man.)

Still a favorite to this day. From :notes: Havah NaGila :notes: to “Servo On Cinema” to “Thank you, Senator. Your statement has been duly noted.” :beer: :cocktail: Who among us has not had the urge to burst into tears on a bad day and jump up and down while wailing, “It’s my show!! It’s MY SHOW!!”

4 Likes

312 - Gamera Vs. Guiron

Yeah, we just watched this at the Gizmoplex as part of that tribute event, but I just couldn’t say no!

This is easily my favorite entry of the MST3K Gamera episodes. It’s also the weirdest of the MST3K Gamera episodes. Not sure if that’s correlation or causation.

Anywho, I enjoyed the hell out of this. The goofiness of the kaiju fights and the bizarre twin brain-eating alien stuff all add up to inspiring riff material. This movie helps support the hypothesis that MST3K episodes are generally better when the movies give them more to work with or bounce off of (compare with, oh, say, The Castle of Fu Manchu or The Projected Man).

I’ll love it forever for introducing us to the Gamera song and working that into all the host segments.

313 - Earth Vs. the Spider

It always surprises me how much dark humor there is in this one. Like, jam-packed with the stuff! It helps that our central character has a rock-stupid insensitive boyfriend who doesn’t know when to shut up or how to shut up (it just occurred to me that Bert I. Gordon had a similarly insensitive character in The Amazing Colossal Man who often offended the female lead). And the dark humor doesn’t stop there!

Plus, this one has Merritt Stone AND Gene Roth AND Jack Kosslyn!

I also dig the unexpected Season 1 callbacks all over the place, from the “THANK YOU!” moment during the Invention Exchange to the “Dr. Erhardt” sighting in the cave to the RAM Chips at the end.

I’m an extreme arachnophobe, so I wasn’t expecting this to be an easy watch, but somehow, Bert I. Gordon and his hokey “GIANT STUFF” shenanigans made this a breeze. That probably helped the overall viewing experience for me.

We get a terrific short out of Speech: Using Your Voice, which memorably gives us the “use plenty of lip and tongue action” line plus all those goofy speakers and our main presenter Professer Buehler, all adding up to some neat fun.

AND WE GET CROW’S EARTH VS. SOUP SCREENPLAY! And also the Cheese Phone! Automatic wins, those.

5 Likes

The scene with the braces and the song (laugh children laugh)… the riffing in that section slew me. Prime MST there.

5 Likes

The Giant Gila Monster is a GEM of an episode. I’m particularly nostalgic for it, as it was one of the first few MST3K episodes I discovered on TV by way of the Mystery Science Theater Hour.

And it’s just so damn funny to boot.

“She’s trying to wish him into cornfield right now…”

6 Likes

I just love Joel’s Gila Monster voice. I’m cracking up just thinking about it. :laughing: :smiley:

4 Likes

Gorgo … which I think completes my Vault Pick bingo.

Worst thing I can say about this episode: it starts out so strong, with the Macaw sketch and amazing riffs like Mike’s Robeson that it can’t help but fade and meander here and there as it goes along. But overall it’s an unjustly neglected treasure. Maybe because it’s flanked by so many fan faves…?

The characters (aside from the Gorgo family) are bland and barely register as people. The story is plodding and rote monster fare. But the special effects and the music are both good for the time. Maybe even better than some stuff you’d see in a monster movie now. The riffs are nearly perfect and some of the host segments are inventive in how they respond to the movie’s drily-delivered nonsense. The closer bit with the dangerously woman-free calendar is a hoot. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

For real. In season 9, “Great” becomes “Just OK” because so many of those episodes kick it up to 11.

4 Likes

Dr. Mordrid
4th viewing - this has become one of those episodes that get better with each watch. I’m receiving fresh new laughs (I love when an experiment does that). Plus, my original favorite riffs are still drop dead funny.

I’d say Mordrid has officially vaulted to the #2 slot on my list of favorites on the season, behind Beyond Atlantis, and ahead of Munchie.

6 Likes

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster. Gosh, this a fire episode! So consistently funny from start-to-finish!

All those “Thunderbucket” riffs when Godzilla sits down… :laughing: :laughing:

(And of course: I just had to constantly mention anything related to Beyond Atlantis, East Eddie and “Mothercrabber” whenever the Sea Monster showed up :smiley:)

4 Likes

Goodbye, England! You’ve been crushed by giant lizards!
candle in the wind diamondsday GIF by Elton John

3 Likes

Inspired by the recent discussion thread, tonight I watched Attack of the The Eye Creatures!

My goodness, this is a treasure trove of riffing gold! A stunningly poorly made, oily “movie” that still always gives them something to work with.

And “They Just Didn’t Care” is a legendary host segment!

But yes: It’s too bad this hasn’t been given an official release yet. This is such a great experiment. There were times I practically said to myself: “Gosh, this would’ve made a fantastic Gizmoplex tribute event or Synthia Selects presentation. The open thread would’ve been so much fun!”

5 Likes

Watched SST Death Flight last night, one of my favorites. The movie is wall-to-wall goofy, and the presence of so many familiar actors gives the guys plenty of chances for off-the-cuff riffs.

5 Likes

My favorite of the KTMA season. I would definitely love to see it as a future re-riff option!

2 Likes

Continuing my new tradition: Tonight I watched Demon Squad and all the promos for Gamera vs. Jiger!

All set for tomorrow!

3 Likes

I watched Robot Monster again for the first time in ages the other day as part of my slow in-order rewatch. It is such a weird, trippy movie. It’s one of those that I thought would be much more well-known (I mean, it’s historically a well-known bad movie, but less so these days compared to most MSTie fare) if it was in a later season.

I wonder how many Ro-Man inspired critters there are out there?

4 Likes

314 - Mighty Jack

As I said elsewhere, I just finished this and I’m still in the unenviable position of not knowing what the hell is going on. Granted, that confusion is enforced by the structure of the feature, which is taken from the first and sixth episodes of a 13-episode series.

That being said, in general, I feel that MST3K episodes go down better when you can figure out what’s happening as opposed to being lost in the sauce. And this one here… what happened, exactly? As MST3K featured films go, it’s a headcracker. It feels like that flummoxed the creative gang, too, if this one exchange near the end is any indication:

Crow: “You know, this isn’t a very good movie.”
Joel: “No, it isn’t.”

I don’t mean for this to sound more negative than it is, because there is some great fun to be had. The blinding light torture chamber scene is ridiculously goofy and well skewered, for one. The more action-y related stuff results in fun riffing (outside of pointing out all those bank turns), and the references are nifty, like the “Japanese Calvin and Hobbes” riff.

The best part of this episode comes in the form of the host segments, like the parody of that blinding light torture chamber sequence, Joel going mad as he films his own underwater special effects scene, the closing “Slow the Plot Down” shanty, whatever’s going on with that disturbing little hellbeast in the Mighty Jack dog food commercial, and of course…

… Frank showing unprecedented levels of SASS.

5 Likes

Like many of you, my most recent episode viewing was Gamera vs. Monster X Jiger

7 Likes

revisiting Demon Squad - Still a slower starter in the theater for me but it gets funnier in its second half.

The thing about Lilah complaining about her childhood? I kept thinking how fun that sounded, you travel the world with your dad and work side by side with him. He even gave you a pick for your birthday so you could play in the dirt, AWESOME! That’s sounds like a dream childhood to me.

6 Likes

Gamera vs. Jiger once again!

I just have to give yet another shoutout to the Gamera Broadway Song and “Sing a Song for Jiger”! So good. :smiley:

4 Likes

Cuing up The Dead Talk Back because… yeah I’m boring and have seen it probably ten million times… whatever. :heart_eyes:

I just noticed for the first time in a long time that you can see strings hanging off the planets in the show opener. (Thank you, new lenses!) Makes me wonder if a certain vociferously annoying subset of fans on a certain other site, who whine about how “cheap” S13 looks, have also forgotten that fact.

5 Likes