What ever happened to the MST3K The Movie?

im pretty sure they mentioned “this island earth” on the mac and me episode. or in one of the season 11 episodes

5 Likes

That’s a silly question my friend, of COURSE I’d want to watch it with my Forums buddies! :heart: I love youse guyses.

The complication is that if it’s not on the Gizmoplex and it’s something everyone would have to rent then I’m not sure it would be very feasible to pull off for community viewing night. BUT. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done, or that we won’t eventually get the movie up on the G-plex.

I may still go find it and watch it on my own this week though! :smiley:

5 Likes

Then I ram my ovipositor down your throat, and lay my eggs in your chest! But I’m not an alien!

12 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Season zero is underrated. You don’t want to start a new MSTie on it, but if you already love the series, it’s beautiful and fascinating to see where it began. The first few episodes are slow, but the latter half of the season really gets into the swing of things.

It’s fun to see Josh experimenting with Servo’s voice from week to week. And Joel figuring out how to do host segments. And the first appearance of the demon dogs. And some bits of lore that aren’t anywhere else. Trace and Josh are a great Mads team. And they play voice messages from the viewer feedback hotline, which are pretty fun.

I love seeing the Sandy Frank stuff as compared to the season 3 & 4 reduxes. You get a couple of extra scenes, too. You can see what riffs they kept and what’s new. There are some good ones that aren’t in the later versions.

Hanger 18, Phase IV, SST Death Flight, Superdome, and City On Fire are all solid episodes.

Go check them out sometime.

6 Likes

Whatever floats your boat. Might be more fun to experience it the first time with us? Or maybe just more distracting. I don’t know how the PTB would feel about one of us renting or buying it and then hosting a watch party on Zoom or something. (There are several services that do this, where you can stream to a limited number of viewers. I view it as similar to inviting friends to your living room to watch together.)

ETA: Was getting bounced around in the car, but what I wanted to add was that, really, $2 is pretty cheap, so if we did want to watch together more legitimately, it’s not too high a bar to entry.

4 Likes

Yeah, it would take some planning to MST3movie with the forums crowd.

3 Likes

Come on over…we’ll watch it!

2 Likes

I used to have the screensaver that was created for the movie, which played sound clips from the film at the most inappropriate time. (Tom screaming, “I’M NOT AN ALIEN!” could really do wonders for you if you forgot to turn off the computer and were trying to sleep.)

Saw the movie opening night in Columbus, Ohio and, as with many here, the gang I was with agreed that it felt too short and not quite as good as a regular episode of the series. We all enjoyed it though.

Weirdest thing for me over the years was trying to find a proper captioned copy of the movie. The VHS was one of the few places were it ran properly for captions. Netflix ran a version for a time that left out many pieces of dialogue, while Amazon eventually ran a version where someone got caption-happy and had all the dialogue slammed on top of each other in a manner that made it nearly impossible to read. The DVD and Blu-Ray from Shout! both say captioned, but neither worked in any machine or computer I tried.

I finally found a proper version later on Amazon that, while not captioned properly on the Amazon app itself (whether on my iPhone, Rocky or PC), it does play it properly on the Movies Anywhere app. Strange that, but at least now I have a version that plays the captions as intended.

9 Likes

It was one of the best and most popular books of the whole Tarzan series. (I read them all in the mid-'90s and I still remember it.)

2 Likes

I want to award you a badge for punctuating this correctly.

11 Likes

I have so many 8 1/2" x 11" spiral bound pages with gold stars on them…

7 Likes

It’s just nice to be amongst people who know where apostrophes (do and do not) go, and who understand the importance of the Oxford comma. I bet some of you even use semicolons!

9 Likes

My impression from interviews is that the MST3K crew legitimately believed that This Island Earth is a good movie, and they chose it specifically because they didn’t feel right charging people money to go to the theater and see an awful film. Plus, they understood that they needed to have a wider appeal since they were targeting a larger audience (theater-goers as opposed to cable-viewers).

On a side note, anyone else amazed by the fact that This Island Earth and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had a cross-over toy? This makes me think that the Metaluna Mutant must have been as culturally recognizable as Dracula and the Wolf Man at some point.

12 Likes

Uh oh.

I do—though, to be frank, I’m more likely to abuse an em-dash.

3 Likes

Man, no joke. Spent something like 5 years hunting down a DVD copy; finally landed one but the price was terrifying (I’d… rather not divulge) and a shipping error made by a lazy seller resulted in a prolonged wait.

To frame the entire endeavor,… it was way back before on-demand content streaming, and Netflix was barely off the ground back then. Pickin’z were slim.

All’s well that ends well. Finally got it. Still have it. The DVD sits nice and safe and warm in a box, while its rip lives in Plex for viewing wherever and whenever.

3 Likes

Psst, there’s a Bluray now.

10 Likes

I could go with a second apos, but whatevs.

1 Like

BURN THE WITCH!

2 Likes

Well, sure! Who doesn’t love apostrophes?

For example, I could have written it mid'-'90s, with the apostrophe after the “mid” representing the elision of “dle”, or if I was feeling whimsical, I could’ve gone with ''''mid-'90s'''' indicating a certain dubiousness about the so-called era roughly between 1994 and 1996.

I suppose, I could’ve also written it mid-'90's but I’m not a monster.

EDIT: On reflection, I realize I actually read the books in the late '80s.

3 Likes

I got to see it in the theater! A random little theater in a small city, but a theater!

“I’m going to curl up in his sock drawer and sleep for days.”

7 Likes