What games have you played recently?

My daughter is a sophomore at Nazareth, so I’ll get the chance. Thanks!

2 Likes

Actually I had a nice play for a legal safety under BCA-adjacent bar room rules with an old pal about two tree days ago.

Yes, I managed to legally make a jump shot, using a house cue, without “scooping” the ball.

Form was perfect. I didn’t make my shot, but it was damned close., and I didn’t foul.

Against a player who has actually made easy jump shots, straight in, some miraculous in nature, over the yars. He was off his feed, so I got him two games of BCA 8-ball in a row, wasn’t even close.

1 Like

That’d be a cool watch, like this video on how they managed to port and fit Resident Evil 2 on the N64. A feat that still kind of blows my mind, even knowing how they managed it.

2 Likes

Grounded is way harder than I thought it would be.

Played about 8 hours in “mild” mode and still had no tier 2 weapons or tools needed to progress farther.

Played about 8 more hours using a custom difficulty to just stop the animals from being so aggressive, got a bit farther but because certain flying animals are not attacking I can’t kill them and get their resources, so still unable to progress much further.

So, looks like I’ll be trying again in creative mode just to get through the story. I’m not a fan of constant combat in games and it looks like this game leans more to the side of fighting for your life all the time vs. exploration and base building. Also progression seems to be geared more for multi-player, too much grinding in single player mode.

Edit: Creative mode locks you out of the story, but it was fun to freely explore the map without dying. The map is way bigger than I thought, it’s a big backyard and you are only about 1cm tall… I was about to go looking for the Unreal cheat engine but I found a location to get at one of the flying bugs I needed to grab resources from in my custom difficulty save, so back to that save to see if I can get through the story now.

1 Like

I’ve been replaying Supraland as a “just need something simple” background game. It’s a sort of 3D metroidvania/zeldalike set in a kid’s sandbox. The combat’s not great (and thankfully reduced in the DLC and sequel), but it’s got some really good puzzles and exploration. Even more impressive, it’s almost entirely made by one guy, which is quite a feat. I definitely recommend it.

3 Likes

My son has been LOVING tabletop gaming lately. He has autism and this has been a wonderful way to channel his (abundant!) energy. :heart: He chose Carcassonne as our last addition; he picked it up so fast! We’ve also been dabbling in the early NES catalog. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Playing Mech Arena, Dino Squad, and Pixel Starships.

Just finished a little game called “Cheffy Chef”, which was a pretty fun adventure.
Getting into Creatures of Aether, and Necromerger…and also having fun with a rather difficult game for me “Cyberduck”.

For table top, it’s Brik Kar Wars for now…

3 Likes

I started Supraland recently(ish). I’m part way in, but now I’m stuck because I can’t make the jump I need to make to progress and I get fed up after missing a couple times (and having to backtrack) and quit.

3 Likes

Carcassonne is great, in a variety of ways. If he digs that and hasn’t tried it yet, he might like Kingdom Builder. It has a little more goin’ on but a lot of the modes and methods are the same as Carcassonne.

For folks who wished Carcassone was more dark, try Carcosa. Enjoy the scenic views of Lake Hali but don’t utter the name of He Who is Not to Be Named.

5 Likes

Most excellent suggestions, thank you! Appreciate the links. We may very well go for Kingdom Builder. He’s only 5, but has been eating up every rule set I’ve been throwing at him. Nerd genetics can be a cruel mistress (he’ll have my lankiness), but run strong. I can’t wait to start him on Starfleet Battles (I can’t fathom anyone knows it anymore, but I love it!). :vulcan_salute:t2::nerd_face:

3 Likes

Just finished my second playthrough of Return to Monkey Island last night. Before I got sidetracked by that, I had been working my way through the Monkey Island series in Spanish (the only non-English language I know any amount of). I was really slow at first, having to pause even the slowest subtitle speed, but I actually got better pretty quickly, having to rely less on Google Translate the more I played, and being able to speed up the subtitles to something approaching normal. My listening comprehension isn’t as good as my reading, but it’s been a fun exercise. (I was partway through The Curse of Monkey Island when I paused about a month ago, and probably will take a while to get back up to speed when I pick it up again.)

7 Likes

Returned to Hitman 3 (with all the H1&2 content) this past week. I’ve long been a fan of the Hitman games and IOI knocked it out of the park with the recent trilogy as it has a perfect blend of stealth, strategy and dark humour. They have some of the very best level design in modern gaming with each stage being an intricate machine with countless moving parts you need to be aware of. I particularly enjoy that I can just go at my own pace for the most part and I can spend hours in a level just observing and looking for opportunities while devising the perfect plan to eliminate the target in a quiet and invisible manner that leaves no evidence. Or you can go for the less than subtle approach and bullrush them dressed as a pirate, throw a screwdriver at their head and then run for the exit.

The latest update let’s you unlock the banana so you can take one on any mission which is always good for comedy value.

5 Likes

disco elysium (2019)

7 Likes

Just get it with the 75% off GoG email discount? Not that my backlog needs anything added to it, but it looks well reviewed. Thinking about it.

2 Likes

I have returned to Returnal. Haven’t yet reached where I was in the last playthrough attempt but progress has been swift (that’s not exactly a good thing and I forgot about that but we’ll manage).

Things have changed a lot. The new Tower of Sisyphus is pretty great but I’ve been avoiding it in case its story path touches a little too much on the main story’s mystery. Core gameplay feels… rebalanced? It’s sorta hard to tell.

Hot Wheels Unleashed is free for PS Plus subscribers this month and, since it’s unlikely another game in the W1P3’0UT" series will ever see the light of day, I gave it a shot… and, actually, it’s pretty decent. It’s littered with lootboxes and microtransactions but the meat-n-potatoes is fun. Fans of racing games should give this a look; players who dig racing but dislike drift style racing can pass this one up.

Enjoy. It’s spectacular.

5 Likes

Just finished up the expansion pack to Railroad Station Renovation. It all started when I got House Flipper in a Humble Bundle. Played it on a lark, and then became completely hooked on restoring run-down old properties in a video game.

Railroad Station Renovation, as the title implies, takes that concept and applies it to run-down Railroad Stations. Gotta clean up the messes that squatters left behind, and refurnish a railroad station to get it ready for the public again.

This has also led to Gas Station Simulator and PC Building Simulator. I can’t explain why I’m completely obsessed with this genre, but the feedback loop just unleashes my dopamine.

4 Likes

I just finished Cultic, a new retro-FPS game. It’s no Dusk, but it’s alright. The graphics aren’t as sharp and have that grainy pixel, and none of it really wowed me, but I enjoyed it. This is only chapter 1, so it may grow into something better.

6 Likes

The original Half-Life, but I’m playing the modded version with many cut contents included.

7 Likes

Finally working my way through Resident HD Remaster. First time playing since playstation. Definitely forgot a lot. However, the control change up flows so much better than the original did.

halo reach - Copy
About half-way through Reach then it’s time for ODST, and hopefully 4 before I got burnt out on the Halo again for a few months. Just got into the space battle, which was fun, but I accidentally went kamikaze near the end of the battle and decided it was time for some t.v. Another re-play for the first time in years, although it was a good 5-10 years more recent than RE on PS, but I completely forgot just as much if not more than I forgot in RE.

dah
Going to be streaming this as I play, already started a new game. Still think this is a ton of fun overall, and figured with the 2nd being remastered and released recently I’d finish the first one since I think it’s a goofy unique game and I enjoy goofy unique things.

hero of aethric - Copy
Beta testing Hero Of Aethric. It’s an 8-bit styled MMORPG made from the same developers as the GPS based MMORPG Orna. It plays extremely similar as Orna, but some nice adjustments like instead of just the world map with buildings on it they actually added towns you can enter, and probably biggest difference is it’s not GPS based so you don’t need to actually go out to find monsters or bosses or different shops.

6 Likes

I go Terror of Hemasaurus last week on Steam (it’s an homage to Rampage). A pretty cool little game.
The dev is asking for community input on new Kaiju to put in the game…I thought some MST3K people might be interested in this one.

3 Likes