What host segment made you laugh so hard you couldn't breathe?

Well, that second one is a reworking of a much older famous routine. (Similar to the Animaniacs’ “Woodstock Slappy.”) I’m pretty sure it’s my husband’s favorite, though. He quotes the stepladder line a lot, regarding certain difficult people. :laughing:

5 Likes

Oh, yes. It’s like Who’s on First?. It’s still extremely clever.

5 Likes

Mike as Morrissey because I absolutely hate that English douche. Mike with grizzled old prospector syndrome.

13 Likes

It has to be the end segment of the season 8 episode “the Undead”.

Bobo wakes up to have a midnight snack and after a lengthy scene of him slicing tomato and lettuce to put on rye bread, he opens up the enrichment center (thinking it’s a fridge) to grab one of the Observer’s brains. After all the screams from Bobo slicing it up and trying to eat it…he realizes what he’s done, hastily patches up the brain with tape and grabs the jar of mayonnaise as his snack.

I never laughed so hard in my life before!

9 Likes

And the little tune he hums the whole time he’s doing it… “Mayo-NAISSSE. Mayo-NAISSSE…”

5 Likes

I know it’s a bit of a cheap, easy joke, but Crow’s profanity-laden video deposition in Agent for H.A.R.M. kills me every time. Something about how earnest and happy he is through it just never gets old:

13 Likes

So many great ones, but, for me, the ultimate side-aching, stomach-hurting, crying-from-laughing host segment is Aunty McFrank’s B&B, with Crow as the llama and “You people bring matches for Mikey?” :rofl:

4 Likes

Same.

3 Likes

The attempt at children’s shows from Parts: The Clonus Horror. The first one is so boring and bland, that when they turn it around to Mike and his little hot pants, I literally spit out my drink the first time I saw it. Glorious.

10 Likes

The one from Hamlet always kills me, when Mike thinks he’s won when he says he wants to see Hamlet, any version, and Pearl pulls out the pork-fed German one.
My two close runners-up are the one from Devil Fish with the ethnic filter that turned Mike and the bots into Italian stereotypes and the one from Girl in Gold Boots when Mike sings the song while the ship is burning.

8 Likes

What really added to that Final Justice closing host segment was how Gypsy was initially so invested in the premise, but then came around to confessing how sad the whole charade was.

The Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo plaque is just icing on the cake.

4 Likes

Yes, I was about to say as far as the Joel episodes, this one kills me.

5 Likes

That one’s great, but what I really like about that episode is the closing segment with Servo reading a beautiful lullaby poem for the sleeping space children, only to follow that up by blasting obnoxiously loud oompah music (to which Servo dances around proudly).

What always gets me about that is how we cut back to the camping planet, and Brain Guy has the saddest, most pleading “turn the music off, please!” expression on his face as he waves futilely at the SOL crew. Pearl yelling “you are SO dead, Nelson, it is a John Agar FILM FESTIVAL for you!” and Brain Guy making a slashing motion across his throat? Perfect.

5 Likes

THANK YOU

I love this host segment with every fiber of my being. It goes on for a very long time (presumably because they couldn’t use shorts to pad out the episode), but even so, it still feels like it doesn’t go on long enough.

Kevin Murphy is a flippin’ delight there. “Punch-happy tomato!”

5 Likes

‘A Joke by Ingmar Bergman’, for the sheer audacity of going that far for a joke that old. Also, the ‘out of sync’ segment while they were falling through a wormhole.

10 Likes

The time distortion host segment from Prince of Space is probably the best written and maybe maybe maybe the funniest host segment of the Sci-Fi era.

It really feels like the spiritual successor of such Comedy Central-era sketches like the quantum linear super-positioning host segment from Gunslinger.

7 Likes

Two picks not yet mentioned:

1. Winter Sports Cavalcade from It Conquered the World. Didn’t do much for me solo, but watching with a group of friends who were born and raised in Minnesota led to everyone laughing so hard we had to replay the piece twice. It’s available on Youtube but I’m not sure it works without the preceding short film. OTOH, if you watch Crow you’ll see how amazing Trace is as a puppeteer at making him funny.
    MST3K - Winter Sports Cavalcade - YouTube

2. Tom Servo builds a death ray… for peaceful purposes only. Combines one of my favorite bits with one of my favorite bloopers.
    MST3k - Tom Servo's Death Ray - YouTube

9 Likes

One of my favorites is “Death Stalker and the Warriors from Hell”. I don’t even recall the movie, but Pearl Forrester is sick with an intestinal parasite and spends the whole time calling out “CLAYTON…CLAYTON…CLAYTON” just, non stop. It really tickled my funny bone! This episode is available for streaming on Shout Factory TV, I think I’m going to watch it later! Death Stalker and the Warriors from Hell

3 Likes

I know the early episodes and skits aren’t to most people’s taste. However, I have to put in a good word for the “sleeper” from The Mad Monster in which Joel explains to the robots that you can’t really think too hard about how a werewolf would be able to eat a whole human being in one sitting. (And related matters.) That always builds up on me slowly until I’m guffawing quite a lot by the end.

7 Likes

Another early favorite is the “Tom Servo hits on a blender” one.

There really is a lot to enjoy about Season One.

10 Likes