What Movie or Television Series Do You Wish Exists

It is still a possibility whereas surer bets have fallen through and as of now I hedged it’s presently in the air grasping it may actually occur or not. This is a feeling like anything else.

1 Like

If del Toro has his way, this’ll still happen. The studios that had shown some initial interest in participating were either mandating edits that would have torn the heart out of the story or they just felt squeemish about something that didn’t close with a happy ending. Kudos to del Toro for sticking to his guns.

Certain aspects of Lovecraft are really hard to translate to a visual medium; harder still to do that and have wide audience appeal and not leave viewers completely lost or confused (instead of horrified). If there’s a living director today that had the chops to pull it off, it’s probably Guillermo.

[Edited to Add] - Personally, I feel like Richard Stanley’s Color Out of Space should have proven that he also has the chops but the subsequent reviews for it definitely show that audiences were not on board.

5 Likes

On an unrelated del Toro note, Hellboy 3 I nominate as a flick I long for. I so hungered to witness where he was going with it.

1 Like

At the Mountains of Madness will require genius to pull off correctly. Lovecraft brought his “A” game to that story, and a lot of it is so subtle and atmospheric. There’s almost no dialogue, as usual with Lovecraft, and also no women… they will have to contrive a female colleague for Dyer, I think.

If Del Toro can do the six-foot penguins without making them look ridiculous, he will deserve a special Academy Award.

4 Likes

I know that Romero tooled around to reincorporate some of those original Day of the Dead concepts into Land of the Dead… but man, the original Day of the Dead really would have been something to see.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Day of the Dead that we got and consider it to be ferociously underrated, but… what could have been, you know?

I’m torn here.

On one hand, I’m always game for more Cronenberg, and everything about Eastern Promises was something amazing.

On the other hand, Eastern Promises felt like a perfect one-off movie, that it would feel wrong to tack onto more of this world.

I dunno.

1 Like

I think he can do this if he is allowed to do it his way. I don’t doubt your concerns are the reason he has held out for an “R” rating. An R-rated At the Mountain of Madness by Del Toro could be one of the best Lovecraftian adaptations ever. “PG-13” or lower, and it might end up silly. (Yes, those penguins are a minefield.)

1 Like

The concept model seems promising.

3 Likes

This just in on At the Mountains of Madness

5 Likes

Go Guillermo Go!!! Spectacular news.

1 Like

Peter Jackson’s treatment for Freddy’s Dead. Can’t be as bad as the one with a lame kill in a video game.

Blood oozing out of TV when Breckin Meyer is cartoonishly killed. I’m soooooo scared!

GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

It’s kinda a good thing that one wasn’t made…

I mean, if the whole Point of him unaliving people was to match it up to the seven deadly sins, Then how would Eight work in to that?

2 Likes

I actually liked the more goofy freddy…

And that part with the map was definitely funny

1 Like

Isn’t the gimmick likely to be they found an Eighth Sin? Doesn’t mean it’s convincing only that’s a direction.

1 Like

Looks like you’re going to get your wish — sort of…

2 Likes

I’m not a big Joss Whedon fan, but Firefly was clearly his baby. Not having him be a part of it seems shortsighted.

1 Like

Whedon’s a bit radioactive to the studios right now, by most accounts. But the controversy will probably have a relatively short half-life. I’m guessing he’ll be back in a few years — it didn’t stop James Gunn, after all.

2 Likes

There have been reboot rumors for more than a year. (I blame the clickbait sites like GiantFreakingRobot for most of them)

Is it actually happening this time? Looking at that link, it’s the same thing we’ve been hearing since at least 2019.

2 Likes

An actual Ghostbusters 3 starring Bill Murray, Dan Akyroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson. Supposedly the production of Ghostbusters 2 (1989) alienated Murray enough to where he wouldn’t do another. In the intervening years, the fire grew cold, Columbia passed on a Ramis/Akyroyd script that translated to a video game, and Harold alas died. The interim of years could’ve afforded us a sequel that never was. Oh well, we have what we have.

3 Likes

I dunno. I did spend a few minutes poking around IMDB and couldn’t find any confirmation, so it might just be a rehash of the older rumor. Still, the basic idea of a Disney+ reboot has merit (Firefly being yet another original IP gained in the 20th Century Fox acquisition), and there was the Firefly: Brand New ‘Verse limited series comic book published earlier this year set about twenty years after the show that may have conceivably been a test balloon.

1 Like

Planescape, based on the D&D setting. Take a cue from Game Of Thrones and play up the political intrigue in Sigil with occasional jaunts to places in the multiverse. Dream casting? Ian McShane as Duke Rowan Darkwood, Factol of The Fated.

1 Like