What will you never, ever watch again?

Gentleman Broncos did a lot to prove a sneaking suspicion I’ve had for a while- Jared Hess is actually a mean spirited person. My friends and I did a double feature of Napoleon Dynamite and The Greasy Strangler. They both paired so well that my friends and I are now convinced they take place in the same universe. The difference between Greasy Strangler and Hess’ work is that at least it knows it’s mean.

4 Likes

good way:

Schindler’s List
The Road
American History X

bad way:

This Drunk History garbage.

sing rami malek GIF by Regal Cinemas

6 Likes

The Green Hornet (2011) was inexplicable, and not in a good way. I barely remember it.

4 Likes

Anything anime or manga.

3 Likes

Two films immediately spring to mind, both by Spielberg. Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan.

5 Likes

If you’re watching manga, you’re doing it wrong. No wonder you’d never watch it again. Those things just sit there.

6 Likes

The Toxic Avenger movies. It proves that Roger Corman’s picture is in the dictionary next to disturbed. About 80% of what I liked as a child. Adam Sandler movies. They’re decent until you grow up. South Park after Kenny died permanently. Most modern horror movies. I LOVE the ones that fall into the category of “This used to scare people?”. Dementia 13, The Terror, Vincent Price movies, etc. Witches of Eastwick was only scary because of Cher.
I watched Teletubbies once to figure out why my fellow 8th graders liked it. Scared is not a strong enough description. I’ll throw a tantrum if you make me watch a toddler show. Expect a bunch of foul language when I throw one. (For which I accuse my parents who didn’t think it through when teaching me to talk.)

4 Likes

I’m never going to watch my step again. Mind the gap? Balderdash!

4 Likes

I don’t think I’d want to watch The House that Jack Built again, even though he is a good filmaker.

On the other side of quality, Hell and Back. Such a horrible waste of good animation and talented actors for an incredibly boring story that culminates in “sexual assault against men is HILARIOUS!”

5 Likes

Die Another Day. I LOVE Bond movies. I’ve watched all of them and I find this to be my least favorite by far. I know over the years the franchise has had its ups and downs as far as quality of the movies, but this is the low point for me. I’ve tried to like it, but I just can’t.

5 Likes

Roger Corman had nothing to do with the Toxic Avenger movies.

10 Likes

I’ll see your “Grave of the Fireflies” and raise you a “Barefoot Gen”

Because of my movie blog, I’ve rewatched a lot I wasn’t sure I wanted to rewatch, and often that wound up a rewarding experience. (so, yay for blogs)

However, I don’t think I’ll ever go back for thirds on “A Clockwork Orange”.

And I have no desire to ever revisit Greenway’s “Prospero’s Books” or Gilliam’s “Tideland”.

And while I do want to re-watch “Come and See” someday, I haven’t yet, it’s an important work but so brutal and emotionally draining that I’ve yet to muster up the courage to return to it.

4 Likes

I posted about Barefoot Gen at some point … wasn’t there a thread about the scariest non-horror movies we’ve seen or something? I saw it late one night in a dumpy hotel room not having a clue about what I was getting into. That’s another one I don’t need to revisit.

5 Likes

Marvel’s Inhumans. I didn’t even make it through the whole season. Once one of them became a pot farmer, I was out.

5 Likes

You know what, Grant? Good for you. Inhumans wasn’t that great, anyway.

5 Likes

I tried to watch manga once, but it was all backwards, there were weird squiggles everywhere and this one character kept getting nosebleeds for some reason.

4 Likes

Two movies immediately came to mind when I saw this topic. Ironically both are related to the same event, they just take place in different locations.

First up… United 93. The last jet plane hijacked on 9/11 which crashed in Pennsylvania. I saw it once with my mother and both of us were absolute sobbing WRECKS once it was over. I have NO desire to put myself through that again. Next is the more fictional, but still viscerally difficult to watch World Trade Center with Nic Cage. The subject matter is just REALLY hard for me.

Similarly, I will never watch Black Hawk Down again. Apparently movies based on real life war stories or terrorist attacks are just too much for me to handle.

That aside, I also will never watch Peter Jackson’s King Kong owing to the scene with the giant bugs and leeches. Before that scene the movie was actually not bad, but I cannot watch that scene without gagging and feeling like I’m about to throw up. Truthfully I think Merian Cooper had the right idea when he excised a similar scene from the 1933 King Kong; he screened it for a test audience and it was literally all they could talk about afterward, and he wanted the focus to be on Kong himself. I think Jackson made a mistake when he put it back in using the original storyboards and some production stills that survived the purge. I literally can’t remember anything else about his movie besides the giant bugs and leeches; I know Kong was in it, but overall the movie escapes me except for that scene.

I’ve only seen the truly disturbing scene from this movie, but another one I will not watch is Irreversible. The like… 12-15 minute long r*pe scene is so viscerally disturbing to me as a woman that I can’t even bring myself to watch the rest of the movie. The director deliberately shot it in one long take and filmed it low to the ground to make you feel like you’re actually in the scene, and boy did he succeed; I can’t bring myself to even contemplate watching the remainder of that movie as a result.

The copious amounts of T&A he insisted on, not to mention that giant maggot r*pe scene in Galaxy of Terror weren’t enough to prove that?

4 Likes

COR-man also didn’t think the original cut of Humanoids From The Deep was rape-y enough so he went back afterwards and got an extra director to add more: apparently over the objections of original director Barbara Peeters. What a prince of a fellow, huh? :roll_eyes: :fu:

5 Likes

“Glitter.” I only saw about half of it, but I think that was enough suffering to qualify for this topic. Come to think of it… why did I even see half of it? What circumstances in my life led me to be in the position that I saw half of that terrible movie? I have apparently blocked that out.

7 Likes

Corman’s not exactly a guy I want to get to know, true, but he did do some good things; he gave us James Cameron, Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, Peter Bogdanovich, and a number of other directors as well as launching the careers of some now pretty famous actors like Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Sylvester Stallone, and Dennis Hopper, to name a few. His obsession with T&A aside, you can’t deny the man’s had an effect on Hollywood, even if he never did anything more than B movies.

I still think he’s a creeper, mind you, but at least there’s something good that came from him.

5 Likes