What's Going On at Work?

Wow. One of our Area Managers (shuddup! that’s what they’re called!) really layed into us during stand-down after dispatch. The usual s…tuff about “be careful about what you say around the DSPs, even if you think it might be perceived as negative, even about other DSP companies.” Bunch of crap.

Yes, I’m part of the “clique” of employees with some time at the company who are all onboard the gossip train, but you can be darn sure I’m sending some nice vibes to the drivers, and sympathize 100% with them when POS U-boats are coming out with…messed up…bags or oversize packages stacked like s…tuff.

OTOH, if the DSP managers are continually s…crewing up, that’s their own darn fault. They need a thicker skin if they’re going to work logistics on a to-the-second timeline.

And, about my own “people,” yeah, I don’t go ape…stuff on them too much, but why are these simpletons fooling around with empty carts when there’s freight to roll out? What is their major malfunction? Just plain of hard of knowing? Eff that. You got one fricking job to do. I’m tired of picking up after their slack-ack selves.

And … sssssssso be it mister man Area Manager. What are some kind of a cow, simping and cringing under your underperforming “customers” the DSPs? Lay some truth on them that they’re screwing nobody but themselves with their slack-ack management and discipline of their drivers.

Your drivers are late? Need to load in the bulk area? Great. I’m not rolling out that freight to them. Key word: your drivers. You broke it, you fix it. I’ll take of the drivers who aren’t a problem.

/* OH!!! I did share @RVR2’s story about the driver who left a whole bag at his place with one of our drivers who was grumbling a bit about getting bags with broken zippers and…ssssss…tuff rolled out to him. He thought that was pretty funny. */

4 Likes

Implemented the entire backend of a new feature today. Had to wrestle a bit with Entity Framework but it went pretty smoothly all things considered.

Now to see what I forgot tomorrow morning LOL

3 Likes

ORMs. What a mess.

I just thank my lucky stars that the part of the app I’m working on is using EF and not ServiceStack ORMLite! That’s the real nightmare fuel

1 Like

Ongoing responsibility for medicals?

(At least, that’s what ORM means in my industry)

1 Like

Those are a mess, too! Probably.

1 Like

The (IMO rushed) transition to a paperless system continues to hit bumps in the road. Was admonished late yesterday afternoon by my IT manager:

IT: “Stop downloading and reuploading misrouted invoices. They have to stay where they’re put.”

Me: “Well, then what’s an easier way to move these invoices?”

IT: “Don’t misroute any invoices.”

Me: “A system that allows for NO mistakes? I don’t think that’s a good thing.”

Now my team has an IT meeting at 930am. I’m sure this is going to be fun.

3 Likes

On the flip side of that…I’ve been dragging my company kicking and screaming to go paperless! It’s a years long struggle, thus far! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

But a rushed system is also problematic. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Totes. A paperless system is a very good idea, and if they can get it to work like they say it’s going to work, it will be great. But I warned them that their timetable is super ambitious and didn’t account for the problems they were GOING to run into. Didn’t listen, and now they’re getting upset that there are problems.

And they’re panicked because I’m going on a 2 week vacation next month and “everything HAS to be moved over before then.” I’m not following that logic, but ooookay! :laughing:

2 Likes

Good use of euphamisms, my friend :clap:

1 Like

Hey, my name is family and my middle name is friendly!

All about the kids, yo! :innocent:

//////////* OH, here is a good one from work. Apparently my gals Jen and Carrie were too “cliqueish” and caused Devon to quit.

Yeah, I didn’t have a problem with him, and, yes, I’m close to C&J on the job and off, you know, we’re work friends and riding that gossip train and I hear all their complaints and vice versa. Most everything that can be emitted from a human body, speech or otherwise, I’ve heard or witnessed from one of them or the other, you know. Just comfortable around each other those couple of gals.

No, that is the word! We’re talking like HR complaint and a bunch of BS, because of one guy who couldn’t sack up and do his job without complaining.

None of my people got in trouble in the slightest, though!

Too bad, so sad. Whatever. */

2 Likes

On my best days at work, I’m knocking down tasks one by one, getting them completed and shuffled off like proverbial water + duck’s back.

On the worst days, I’m a ping pong ball, getting batted back and forth by those tasks, and occasionally getting completely whacked off the table and sailed into the unknown.

So far today it is the former, so I am expecting it to devolve to the latter any second now! :laughing:

3 Likes

Today I write another back end for a new feature.

Database HYPE!!

2 Likes

Speaking of “hype,” maybe some of you know this term, but there’s such a thing in certain hip hop and rap musics as “hype man.” Flavor Flav was one.

This guy at work, he’s somewhat competent in general, but he runs around more than Angus Young on stage doing stuff.

When I’m working exit as a dispatch yard marshall, using the megaphone, it’s like he thinks he’s my own personal “hype man.”

Yelling out to the drivers (sans megaphone) “please be in your seats drivers!” Like, wth did I just say, fool! And what was I going to say thirty seconds from then!

After I release the beasts, I’m always saying something like, “All right! Crank up them engines, and with your four-way flashers on, lanes two and three, rock and roll! Have a good day everyone!”

Of course he has to repeat every damn time “Have a good day! Have a good day! Have a good day!” What is there an echo?

Lanes two and three get ONE “Have a good/great day!” Lanes one and four also get their ONE yadda yadda. They don’t need seven or eight or a continuum of “Have a good day!” Maybe they do. But I don’t need to hear it, you irritating little carbuncle!

It’s damned annoying. That boy should slow down his roll!

2 Likes

sylvester-mama-said

1 Like

On this street, I’m the man! You go talk to Mama Charlene over there by the Buck’n’Save and tell her you want forty dollars worth of shoeshine, and she’ll know I sent you!

On a good, non-work note, I think it’s time to watch Madx4World again. Why?

Because it’s Friday! TGIF! Boom! Light this candle!

“Lanes two and three, go on and get some! Have a good day people!”

“Lanes one, four! Hit me! And have a good day!”

1 Like

I don’t know if I’ve posted this request here, or just on the FB Group I started for my OTR DSP Dispatch/Flex team for my work people.

I’m always looking for new exit phrases. “Go on and git some!” “Hit me” “You are groovin on a Sunday afternoon” (when appropriate!) “Hit it and quit it!” “Let’s boogie” “Rock and roll” “Shake 'em on down!” “Do it!” “Put the hammer down!” “Take it down!” “Give me some!” “Give it to me!” “Home cooking!” “Boogie on down!” “Turn it loose” “Shake it don’t break it!”

The list goes on, probably to about a few hundred or whatever I feel like at the moment, but the requirements are that it not be too complicated to hear over the mega, and also no profanity. (z.B. apparently one of my call outs “You got it, that’s your funky fifteen! Friendly fifteen minutes til we roll!” this gal thought sounded like the adjectival form of a four letter word, but she has wax in her ears or something.)

Yo! Two, three hit it! Give me some! And have a good day!

“You waiting for it! I’ve got your big ten! That is big ten minutes until go-time!”

“We got hard eight! That is eight minutes hard until wheels roll!”

“We’re rolling on the dice eleven! That is yo’leven!”

“Rolling a seven now! That’s a natural on the come out! We are seven and out!”

Etc.

2 Likes

There’s an old Navy term I use towards management when they complain that they have to work overtime or weekends…
‘Choose Your Rate, Choose Your Fate’ :sunglasses:
Which means you wanted to be in management so accept the BS that comes along with it.
I knew that when I switched from being a postal clerk over to maintenance, it would be a dirtier job but I wouldn’t have to deal with the public at the counter anymore :+1:

4 Likes

3 flat tires on 3 different mail trucks, 1 dead battery and no jump box so I had to use my own vehicle to jump off a mail truck :roll_eyes:
The illustrious postmaster is back wearing a mask, no idea if she’s tested positive or negative for COVID before returning to work but I try to avoid her like the plague anyway :expressionless:

2 Likes

Installed 14 postal locks for parcel lockers at a new subdivision in the heat and had to change a lock at another cluster box that no one mentioned about since it was requested on August 17…:roll_eyes:
Still got 2 more lock changes to do but they will have to wait till Thursday. I’m ready to get the F out of H😒

2 Likes