What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

I suspect that those bag-area sensors just detect whether there was a weight change or not, rather than whether it increased by one bag of chips or whatever. I’ve appeased the “please place item in the bagging area” voice by just picking up a thing and putting it down.

I want a movie where the machines rise up and try to crush us, but they’re idiots, and we fool them by pretending to throw a tennis ball.

4 Likes

It’s not exact, but watch Maximum Overdrive.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Darned credit union, that car insurance auto-pay should not have overdrafted me! That’s some jive turkey stuff!

Well, probably really more like “darned me!” Probably not recommended to go out and drop fifty or eighty bucks over a few hours at a bar multiple times a week, in addition to feeding the jukebox an extra twenty or so per session. I should probably not be allowed to handle my own finances.

////////////

ETA, I like the self-checkouts. My regular grocery store is Kroger-owned, and I know most of the employees by name and vice versa…it’s a pretty small store. The scale never picks up the weight of my reusable grocery bag, though (it’s too light to register) so they have to clear it manually.

2 Likes

I like the option of self-checkouts. When I have only a few things to get, I like being able to hurry through and do it myself, but when I have a cart full of stuff, I’d rather have a human being checking me through. That being said, Walmart’s self-checkouts at my local store at least have enough space to bag and set my items aside until I finish everything and can put it back in my cart.

3 Likes

Some people ain’t got no freaking class, I’m telling you. So it was pretty late and I was playing partners at the pool table with this guy I sort of know. First people who play, my partner was very insistent on betting all evening. Meh, I think GothChick and her man beat us and apparently stuck my pal with a bill for like the most expensive drinks in the place.

Another group of people, some real headcase was all insistent on “APA rules”! Which is OK with me. I almost had them down with some good defensive play. Twenty a rack. Again, not my money…my pal was just a maniac for betting for some reason. But the amount of rules lawyering was ridiculous, combined with generally poor attitude on the part of that other little…so and so.

OH and I lost two games of chess to another acquaintance of mine. Badly. I was destroyed. Oh well.

4 Likes

My problem. My problem is that people aren’t as interested in finding common interests as they are in finding reasons for not liking each other. I have a few friends that I disagree with in some very fundamental ways, but in a whole slew of other ways we are in strong agreement, and have a whole ton of other interests we share. I sometimes wonder how many peoples company I am robbed of because of preconception and inability to move beyond key differences. Oh, and my other problem is I am prone to random philosophical rants. LOL

8 Likes

Aw, that’s not a bug, that’s a feature!!

4 Likes

Gripe?

I have not left the Bronx!

Damnit!

But I did get convinced to buy this rummy acquaintance cheap beer after cheap beer and crashed for a few hours at his place.

Gripe? How can people live in these apartments where you have to go outside to smoke? Absurd! Chez moi, I do whatever I want, whenever I want.

And that’s how you get ants, people.

And cobwebs.

Ain’t no good end game.

4 Likes

Yes! I can’t count the number of times in the last few years that I’ve seen people stating that this viewpoint means that they won’t talk to a person, even if it’s their own family. I have a friend who is politically left of center while I am right of center, and there are some aspects of society that we disagree on, even vehemently, but we also have a lot of things in common and we can easily talk about those things and enjoy the association without attacking each other for disagreeing.

5 Likes

I’ve actually grown away from this in recent years. Outside the settings of work or political organizing, where you really can’t function at all without it.

Of course, it can work, but if one person feels like they’re always coming up short in the desire for mutual respect and being really heard/listened to by the other, then… No. I’ve been there and chosen to move away from that kind of relationship.

Also, to be honest, there are some issues serious enough so that I don’t consider them up for debate. There’s the option of both people agreeing not to discuss them at all, I suppose. It might work for awhile, but eventually I found myself feeling like a fraud and I moved away from those, too.

6 Likes

I can understand that perspective, believe me. I’ve become all but a hermit myself, mostly by choice. But once I got finished blowing all the bad relationships off I discovered the few people I actually love are people who I disagree with in many ways. Heck I have one friend who I consider to be closer than kin who feels my whole marriage is wrong in his religious views. Neither of us are changing those views, and we have even had heated debate around those views, but regardless of that, I know with a 100% certainty he will always have my back and I in return will always have his. I sadly never had any blood family that wasn’t horrible, (Long sob story, just imagine sad violins. LOL) and had to build my own. The few people I still interact with are the closest to such I will ever experience, and there’s few things that could come between that, and politics, and identity oddly enough don’t seem to be it. Not defending their views, but some ties are stronger than belief. But again, that’s my opinion, and possibly wrong, I’ll get off my soapbox now. LOL Sorry for the rant, and as always, my respect.

3 Likes

I can’t remember any of them right now but there are a few movies that end tragically (or just in a big lame) because one of the married people spent 40 years pretending something wasn’t.

4 Likes

Sounds like art imitating life, with varying degrees of plausibility or interest of course.

2 Likes

All I can think of is War of the Roses. :rofl:

2 Likes

There are some opinions people can have that, in my view, make them bad people, and that’s just the way it is. And I can’t be friends with bad people.

It’s a matter of perception, but I think my perceptions are right and the others are wrong. If I didn’t think they were right, I wouldn’t have them.

Almost all of the relevant issues are political or social, which is why I avoid discussions like that the way I avoid open sewers. So far it’s working here… I’ve been on this forum since it started and I don’t dislike anyone on it yet. Hope that doesn’t change in a week when the Gizmoplex goes public and trollish folk become aware of and admitted to our little Rivendell of happiness, here.

6 Likes

Do you ever feel left out when you type in your reply on another thread that everyone except you has forgotten about? 'cause that seems to happen to me. I type in a reply in some threads that nobody has seen/read for a long time, and nothing.

2 Likes

The Mute function is a beautiful thing. I plan to make ample use of it, if necessary. More boards I’ve been on over the years would’ve survived past their adolescence if that had been a priority at the time.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a burgeoning sub-genre of…I don’t know what you’d call it…“unhappy ending” movies. It was one of the things that put me off seeing the Oscar-nominated pictures every year.

And I can see one clearly in my head that I can’t think of the name of, and it’s just one of hundreds.

Ha! I like to think of that as a misunderstood love story.

2 Likes

Doesn’t that movie end with the two of them dying and realizing that they love each other at the moment of their deaths?

2 Likes