What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

I just found out that someone I’d long fallen out of touch with lost their partner of over 30 years in an auto accident late last month.

You don’t have to console me. I’m just sitting here feeling disgusted and cranky towards the universe. The bereaved and I didn’t have anything in common anymore, but i never wished them any harm. :frowning:

7 Likes

So I get up early this morning to cut my grass and the people across the street at the ‘crack house’ (as it’s come to be known over the years from past tenants) come out and sit in their chairs to watch me…
What?! You’ve never seen someone cut their lawn before? This is your entertainment for the day? Nothing better to do between 6:30-7am?
I hate nebbyass neighbors :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I’d be more pissed about someone mowing the lawn at 6:30 AM.

5 Likes

It’s an electric lawn mower and not very loud plus people were already up going to work.

1 Like

Oh, here’s a gripe: Ordinary words that spell-checkers don’t know.

“Really? I have to tell you to learn the spelling of gauge?”

(This is particularly annoying when it’s a word you could sorta be convinced you’re misspelling. 'Gauge? Gague? Gazhe?")

6 Likes

Combine it with data networking jargon and about a hundred acronyms, and you’ve got my job. I turned that sh!z off decades ago.

5 Likes

Ha! I’ll see your tech jargon and raise you writing science-fiction and/or fantasy.

5 Likes

screenshot-400

6 Likes

The IRS cashed our payment check for our 2020 taxes last year. But they never told us what we still owe. MR_Potroast got switched around several times for a long time on the phone yesterday, trying to get this resolved. Because now we have a State refund for 2021 which could theoretically be used to retire the Federal debt. if we knew what it was! Finally, he was told they can’t help us now and we should call back in four months. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

This is an option? BRB, changing my Out of Office reply forever. :+1:

4 Likes

“Only way to work it.” (Like Split-Top Wizard told Queen Hotness from Outlaw.)

3 Likes

Sat through corporate ethics training conducted by a company lawyer. Somebody asked a question, and his answer amounted to “That’s a great question! We’re short on time, so eff your great question. Let’s move on.” I think this tactic is brilliant.

6 Likes

Somewhat tangentially related - the Programmer’s Trick.

1. Make a change that inadvertently causes an annoying bug to the end users
  2. Blame the bug on something else, not related to your change
  3. Give it a few days/weeks/months, for users to “get used to” the bug and find workarounds to it
  4. Fix bug, and report the bugfix to all users
  5. You’re everybody’s hero!
3 Likes

Oh, I know this one, friend - I do in fact make my living as a corporate trainer. :joy: “Go pound sand for 4 months, then come back and try me - maybe I’ll be in a helping mood” is just the next-level disruption this industry needs.

4 Likes

Yeah my personal dictionary is full of fun words like naquadah because I got tired of the computer telling me it wasn’t really a word.

4 Likes

As a now part time tax preparer, the only way to find this out is to contact somebody human about your tax account on their 800 number and fight through their long drawn out menu to get placed on hold for anywhere from 45 minutes to over 1.5 hours so plan on not having anything important to do for that day :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Well, achievement unlocked there already. :roll_eyes:

And now I’m going to go spend the entire State refund on a case of new orthopedic socks because my old ones are worn out and clearly the Feds are doing fine on their own.

3 Likes

They don’t wear socks, they wear cytoplasm containment vessels.

2 Likes

Don’t get ME started on taxes. Frankly, I think the whole thing is a scam. THEY have all of the data. They know how much you made, and how much they took out of it. Why do the rest of us regular Janes and Joes need to fill out the paperwork for them?

Because rich people want to get away with paying less taxes than they should by using all the “tricks” they have baked into the system.

3 Likes

Yep. This isn’t a thing at all in other countries. They all think we have a truckload of screws loose here and you know what? THEY’RE RIGHT!!11

2 Likes