Will Mike ever come back?

It would be amazing, however I never begrudge an entertainer that prefers to look forward than backward. But I think it comes down to you never know.

I would add in addition to RiffTrax having some presence in the Gizmoplex and backer rewards, I assume Mike had to give his okay for his likeness on the poster and hoodie art. I was so happy to see everyone included on those.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s rough if Mike got cut out of the profits of any DVD or other sales from the show. As the host of the show for several seasons you would think at least he would get a cut of the residuals from the shows he was in. Bad form if that’s the case. Was that Jim Mallon thing? If so I can see why a lot of the MST alumni have a bad taste in their mouth about him.

2 Likes

If Bill Murray can still show up in Ghostbusters after everything on that front…
If Josh Weinstein’s Dr. Erhardt could be resurrected…
If the open invitation to past cast to come be part stays open…

I’ve always been a Team Joel, as the first 10 or so VHS tapes that fell into my hands were all Joel., and frankly I preferred his presentation, but I can’t disregard all the work Mike did for the show both in front and behind the camera, He is much a pillar of the show as many others and while I don’t feel any personal need to see Mike (or the Mads) back, especially if the personal desire isn’t there… But as long as that door stays open, there is always a chance.

Even if Mike doesn’t wish to be part of an episode, I would like to see maybe something for the Gizmoplex where a few open topic round table discussions can take place, maybe a table with people from particular seasons discussing what occurred those years, maybe a table where Joel, Mike, Jonah & Emily can discuss hosting, a Forrester Family Reunion Table, an all second Bananas Table, all Crow, all Servo, et al.

7 Likes

In the Kickstarter comments section I posted a fantasy scenario… I’m not looking through 30,000 comments to find it so I’ll just re-construct it here:

Jonah falls into a time warp which takes him back along the timeline to previous iterations of MST3K.

First he appears in Castle Forrester and startles Brain Guy and Bobo, until Pearl comes in and pepper sprays him, causing him to fall back in the time warp…

Then he appears next to Mike, Kevin’s Servo and Trace’s Crow while they are on a video call with Forrester and Frank. After a bit of banter Clayton tells Frank to press the “Resume Time Warp” button which sends Jonah away. (“Why do you have a button for thaaaaaaaa…”)

Then he materializes on the original SOL, where Joel in his Bruce Dern wig is working on the original bots. Joel uses the last of the special parts (the ones that would have made Servo’s arms work) to send Jonah back to his correct time.

8 Likes

Mike probably shouldn’t come back.

Unless and until he feels really good about it, which may not be in the cards.

2 Likes

Only the ring with Mike’s finger attached will make an appearance, like some sort of (un)holy relic. Ring of Terror, anyone?

2 Likes

I watched Mike’s appearance this summer on The Mads Are Back. He didn’t seem opposed to reminiscing about his MST3K chapter in general, and even answered my question about the MST3K song of which he was most proud. It’d be awesome if he had some sort of involvement, but I feel that’s wishful thinking.

7 Likes

Mike has gone to live on a farm with a nice family where he has lots of room to run and play.

17 Likes

:musical_note: I I I I want a Corveeettteee!! :musical_note:

:dancer: :tophat:

1 Like

I’m 90% sure Dr Erhardt was taking Dr Forrester and TV’s Frank’s remains to that planet (Mearth?) to set up an end of Wrath of Kahn scenario.

2 Likes

In reality, I don’t think Mike is ever going to come back, but in my ridiculous MST3K fantasy world, here’s how I would write him back into the show for a guest appearance:

After Season 12, Kinga decided she was onto something with The Gauntlet, but the format needed more tweaking. For Season 13, she introduces “The Wheel!” Each episode, Jonah is forced to spin a giant wheel to determine his fate. There are opportunities for him to escape the SOL on the wheel, but of course those never come up and instead he always lands on the title of the movie for that episode. In ONE episode, though, he lands on “PHONE A FRIEND,” and Kinga suddenly has to make up whatever that means.
KINGA: “OK, OK, you can go free —”
JONAH and the BOTS GASP
KINGA: “— IF you can name the last quarterback to lead the Packers to victory in the Super Bowl.”
MAX: “WHAT? No! Kinga, that’s too easy!”
KINGA: “Oh, come on, look at that lanky schlub; he’s clearly not a sports guy. He’ll never get this.”
JONAH: “Yeah, she’s right. I’m more of a Dungeons and Dragons kind of guy … but hey! We get to phone a friend, right?”
KINGA: “YES! Fine! Whatever. You can phone one person on Earth to help you.”
JONAH: “Of course, I also don’t really know anybody who follows football --”
TOM: “Relax, Jonah. We got this.”
CROW: “We totally know a guy. He’s from Wisconsin, so he’s probably legally required to know this to vote, or something.”
JONAH: “OK, great! Call him up!”
They call up Mike, who shows up on the resurrected Hex field screen.
MIKE: “Ahoy-hoy?”
CROW: “Mike?”
MIKE: “Crow? Tom? Is that you? Where’ve you guys been? You said you were going out to buy cheese balls like 20 years ago!”
TOM: “Yeah, it’s a long story, but obviously we’re back on the SOL now …”
CROW: “And thanks for looking for us, by the way.”
MIKE: “… it was cold out.”
TOM: “Hey, so what have you been doing all these years?”
MIKE: “Well, I’m really into pottery now. Just took this one out of the kiln.”
He holds up an utterly ridiculous misshapen lump.
CROW: “That’s … somehow exactly what I expected.”
JONAH: “Guys! Come on, focus!”
TOM: “Right, right. Mike: Which quarterback led the Green Bay Packers to their most recent Super Bowl win?”
MIKE: “Huh? Uh … I have no idea. I’m not really much of a football guy.”
CROW: “C’mon, Mike! Channel that cheesehead DNA and give us the answer!”
MIKE: “OK, OK, Uhhh … Brett Favre?”
JONAH: “Of course! Thanks … Mike, was it?”
MIKE: “Sure thing. And hey, If you need any help getting off that satellite, I might be able to …”
CROW: “Nah, we’re good!”
He hangs up on Mike.
JONAH: “Wha? Crow!”
TOM: “Jonah, trust us, that guy CANNOT help you get home.”
JONAH: “Well, it doesn’t matter, because now I have the answer. Oh, Kinga!”
So they give her the wrong answer and get a movie somehow even worse than they’ve had up until now.

12 Likes

I’ve often wondered what it would be like if Mike made an appearance. Same as Frank and Trace. If it ever happened, I would love it.

I’m at a point now where I’ve flipped the question to “do they NEED to come back?”

Honestly, for me, the answer is ‘no.’ I’ll still enjoy MST3K, Rifftrax, and The Mads, as well as the body of work where all paths crossed previously.

But if Mike felt his MST3K character’s story ended in 1999, then that is fine by me.

5 Likes

Shoutfactory owns all of the riff shows so there can be IDIC cross-overs whenever they want. Which means that Mike can come back as Mike and still not come back as Mike.

I’d be fine with it if Mike appeared but as an entirely different character.

2 Likes

I’d be fine with it if Mike appeared but as an entirely different character.

Like Morrissey? Because that would be amazing!

7 Likes

As a prank, we go caroling to the RT offices and stand outside the windows. But instead of Xmas songs we wear Viking helmets or bunny ears and sing “Return, My Love” from What’s Opera, Doc.

5 Likes

Did he mention that he cried? Is it wrong not to always be glad?

10 Likes

I’ll try to track down a very plump white stallion for additional effect.

2 Likes

If we want to portray Mike as stuck in his heyday, this would be such an appropriate answer. (It’s Rodgers, of course)

1 Like

Maybe Mike can’t come back. Maybe Eddie won’t let him.

5 Likes