Worst Line of Dialogue in a MST3K Movie

I would nominate Drake’s line about spanking Leda in Robot Wars, but it immediately earned him a punch in the face, making it a bit more bearable.

10 Likes

My favorite episode, High School Big Shot, features plenty of clunkers. For outstanding achievement in the field of tastelessness, it’s pretty hard to beat “Say, she’s the best-lookin’ chick in the whole school, ain’t she?” out of Marv’s middle-aged dad. (The entire riff is the guys going “EUUGHHLLHHGH!” which is pretty much the last word.)

8 Likes

“You haven’t seen anything… until you’ve seen the sun through the rings of Saturn.”

Stupid line with even stupider delivery.

6 Likes

I basically hate all the excuses the one scientist comes up with in Monster-a-go-go to try and get out of why he did something so stupid like keep the irradiated astronaut in his lab for weeks and not tell anyone.

“Blame it on my state of shock.”

“I could only think of logging what I witnessed.”

“I don’t know. I was trying to help.”

“What the Hell do you want from me, Dr Brent!? I don’t have a precision mind like yours!”

12 Likes

The real culprit was his confusion over being reincarnated as his own dead brother. :grin:

Ultimate Nerd Voice: “Yeah, just like Frank Ashmore in V.”

4 Likes

Now is this for poorly written or dumb dialogue (like the fish bit in Satan) or dialogue that pisses us off (like just about every line in Catching Trouble)?

For the first example, I think the stingers would be full of them.

“A wounded animal that large isn’t good” (Blood Beast)

Yeah, I always get a giggle when they fumble science speak - where the characters are smarter than the screenwriter, who just can’t find the right science words or proper intelligent phrasing.

See the doctors in Monster A Go Go -

“We have a radioactive, something or other”

and

“We actually gave him lots more of these injections, so that he could withstand all kinds of rays” (which inspired Tom’s funny riff… “We’ve been working on big gobs of neat stuff”)

10 Likes

I was thinking more “terrible writing” than “has aged poorly,” but either way works.

And I never forgot my junior high English teacher telling us that if any part of “all of the sudden I got a whole lot of neat stuff” ended up in anything we wrote she would have other words for us in red ink.

7 Likes

A couple from shorts.

Catching trouble: So this is where my boyfriend knows his stuff.

Snow thrills: And shiing is the correct pronunciation, they tell us.

9 Likes

This is a perfect example because I know exactly the line you mean but can’t remember how it goes. And I’m one of the people who have heard it the most.

5 Likes

TBF, everything that happens in Catching Trouble is the worst.

10 Likes

I can’t even watch it again, but that line really sticks out. “My boyfriend?” What? That didn’t mean something else in the 30s or 40s whenever that was made. It still meant the same thing. So what the heck?

7 Likes

Goofy wouldn’t lie to us.

Untitled

6 Likes

Is Utter Failure Of Science okay in this thread, or does that rate its own special thread (somewhere)?

In that case, the all-time winner [sic] for me is the claim that the heart is one-celled structure in The Amazing Colossal Man.

I’m told that the failure at carbon dating (Terror From The Year 5000) and failure to understand prehistory of the dinosaurs (Devil Fish) are in the same category.

9 Likes

“You and Noel is in it for fame and fortune?”

Crow: Yes, we is.

5 Likes

Natalie in Werewolf acts better than I can, and in a non-native language, and most of her amusingly delivered lines are probaby more due to a bad director than her. That said, the line where she’s discussing the skeleton and she’s clearly just stretching her line out because the door opened much later than expected is definitely one of those “Oh, you’re going with that take? Ok then.” moments.

7 Likes

(As quoth our California Cousins:)

KEEP ROLLING!!

5 Likes

Shhhh. Everyone knows that carbon dating something from 3000 years in the future is totally a thing. You just have to carry the one.

7 Likes

This is the same movie which brought us Sam saying, “I’ve been praying for the police.” Puzzling on sooooo many levels, like just about everything else happening only moreso.

8 Likes

That’s what makes it such a perfect MST3K movie. It’s like someone decided to film his fever dream.

5 Likes

Had they invented Google Translate by that time? Because I feel like if you ran the Wahrwilf script in a foreign language through GT, this is what you’d get.

R.O.T.O.R. to me has that same confusing feel. As if it was written in a foreign tongue and then the auto-translate function was never looked over by a fully bilingual editor. :confused:

4 Likes