Worst Song Ever

That was pure gold! Even better, it’s available for purchase on Amazon!

2 Likes

It could go to #1 if the TikTokkers decide to make a meme out of it.

2 Likes

I have a copy of the video Corey Feldman sent to record labels trying to get a deal 20+ years ago—I just need to figure out where I have it saved. It’s equal parts hilarious, cringeworthy and “someone please get that man some help.”

4 Likes

robert smith GIF by South Park

1 Like

A kindred soul! You’ve made the holiday card list. :hugs:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Kid Rock’s new song is pretty high up there, even if it isn’t necessarily the worst.

3 Likes

No, that honor would likely go to the next new Kid Rock song (and then the next and the next and the next . . . )
:poop:

3 Likes

I kind of like “Wasting Time,” but that’s mostly thanks to Lindsey Buckingham.

2 Likes

I tossed out Barbie Girl above. A 90s tumor of airheaded idiocy. I cringe the second I hear it.

1 Like

I’ll say this about “Barbie Girl,” and that it knows exactly what it is and doesn’t pretend like it’s anything deeper. It’s disposable euro dance pop that itself is a reflection of the materialism of Barbie dolls, but doesn’t really attempt to make any kind of more substantial statement than that. In a way, it kind of perfectly reflects its inspiration. Was that on purpose? I dunno.

Like, it’s not a good song by any measure, but now it’s stuck in my head and I don’t totally hate it? I don’t know, it came out when I was in middle school and I appreciated it for it being the goofiest thing I’d ever heard go mainstream at the time. I appreciate it when dumb music at least acknowledges that it’s dumb instead of trying to pretend that it’s more substantial than it is… which is probably why I friggin’ hate Staind so much. Ugh. Blech.

6 Likes

Just found out that this was a Boy George cover. It makes some sense now.

2 Likes

Ok. Iggy Pop cover. That should be official.

1 Like

I LOVE it too. I have wonderful memories of it. Kokomo played nonstop in the late 80s and the Beach Boys were home to me. Like musical chicken noodle soup for the soul, Kokomo was their last great gasp of notoriety and it meant something. To me anyway.

Plunging into MacArthur Park on my maiden voyage a day back, indulgent excess rolls off it like grease. A preamble, an interlude, then wrapping back around? Weird Al covered it in 4 minutes and Jurassic Park is a much tighter song. Richard Harris singing? That blew my mind. As a fan of his, I had no clue. Surreal isn’t even descriptive enough. Most my life I knew this song existed, it inspired the Al parody, and had popularity and lasted. It is so bad it’s good. Worst ever? Maybe as far as it still being enjoyable in its awfulness. On songs that I can’t listen to, this doesn’t qualify. Not for me. The epic sincerity of the silliness and the icing lyric in the chorus are a keeper. “Someone left the cake out in the rain…” Indeed.

Sufficient life lasted in MacArthur to inspire this. Enough of a good song was there Al teased it out.

2 Likes

This is me whenever “Bring Me to Life,” by Evanescence is playing-

4 Likes

I had that gut reaction to Grunge once it was EVERYWHERE.

1 Like

Worst 90s number one song.

1 Like
2 Likes

Gah. That conjured weirdo high school flashbacks.

In defense of Marcy Playground, Sex and Candy did not do the band justice. That song was their Cherry Pie. The rest of that self-titled album is pretty solid, with fuzzy 70s guitar tones. Shapeshifter was a good album, also.

1 Like