Your Most Niche Fandom

Definitely! I watched it air live with my parents (I was eight at the time) and I remember even as a kid desperately trying to work out all the minor details of how Ned’s powers worked

3 Likes

I order badge ribbons to give out at conventions, and there are several that I only give to people who recognize the reference.

“Shoom!” (silver on white, although transparent would work even better)
“Nick Knight - Taking a bite out of crime - forever”
“Tim, jaunt me in!”
“Za Lord’s Guard”
“The cycle has begun”
“Omniquantist”
“Let’s go steal ourselves a ribbon!”
“I have a meme now, memes are cool!”

I used to wear a button, black print on blue background (Farris colors) to GenCon every year, “If this is GenCon, where’s SimeCon?”

I loved Blake’s 7 and someday I want to make a T-shirt that says
Beam me up, Scotty!
Tim, jaunt me in!
Teleport now, Orac!
Somebody get me outta here!

Also one in the shape of an ouroborus in ten segments, nine red and the last one green, captioned “Now is not a good time!”

Basically, the fandoms that make me squee at finding someone else who actually recognizes them would include the original “The Tomorrow People,” “Strange Luck,” “Werewolf” (from the early days of FOX), “Forever Knight,” Sime~Gen, ElfQuest, and maybe Dresden Files, although not sure if that’s niche enough. Also webcomics like Freefall, Girl Genius, El Goonish Shive, Real Life….

5 Likes

Well I got
Forever Knight
Leverage and
Doctor Who

Where’s my ribbons! LOL!

4 Likes

Darkplace is pure genius. I would also recommend the spin-off “Man to Man with Dean Learner”

6 Likes

I’m not sure how niche it is as it seems to have a lot of underground popularity but Letterkenny on Hulu is a favorite of mine, definitely not for everyone, but it’s a very quotable show with dumb comedy done in a very smart way.

7 Likes

Lately it’s been the amazing music and videos of Nightwish (Ghost Love Score) and Devin Townsend (Stormbending, Spirits Will Collide). Check 'em out, they’re amazing!
I learned about them by watching music reaction videos on YouTube. Those are cool too.
Otherwise, I like the “Tales Of Arcadia” shows, “Barry” and pretty much everything Marvel.
I have so many other passions, but I do not believe they would pass community standards here!

4 Likes

I am a MASSIVE Critter. The D&D show Critical Role has literally changed my life and got me into playing Dungeons & Dragons which got this shy introvert to try amazing new things, meet the most incredible people, and make the greatest friends who have traveled across the country recently to attend my wedding. Not only is the show and the community amazing, but I also LOVE collecting nerdy items and my Critical Role collection is my pride and joy.

7 Likes

I LOVE HEVY DEVY! I was in college when he debuted on Vai’s Sex and Religion, killer album. He never disappoints, and I think he sounds better than ever.

3 Likes

There are some low-budget sci-fi auteurs whose work I’m really into:

• The team of Robert Emenegger and Allan Sandler cranked out a bunch of SF movies 1980-83. The most readily available are probably Killings at Outpost Zeta (1980), Lifepod (1981), and Time Warp (1981). Lifepod feels like a low-tier 70s SF paperback in movie form. Time Warp is a “comedy” (written by Steven Spielberg’s sister Anne) about an astronaut stuck in space while a drunken colonel played by Adam West hits on his wife on Earth. I’m still searching for all the movies, but the ones I’ve seen so far show a coherent aesthetic and true nerd-not-in-a-cool-way-nerd’s understanding of the genre of the time. Lifepod especially has some nice models and sets.
  • Philip J. Cook made two movies - Beyond the Rising Moon (1988) and Invader (1992) that contain some stunning model and stop motion work. A monumental amount of time and effort must have gone into them. Once again, the work of a true nerdenheimer.

Models and attention to detail are a unifying theme here. Same reason I’m also a fan of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson’s work, particularly Captain Scarlet, UFO, and Space: 1999.

I am also obsessed with the typeface design of W.A. Dwiggins. My favorite typeface is Electra, a weird book serif I have never had a good reason to use.

4 Likes

Also a Lexx fan! I still occasionally sing the Brunnen-gi song!
YO WAAAY OH!
HUM VA REI
YO WAY OH
GEROUM BRUNNEN-GI

8 Likes

LAIKAI has so beautiful crafted (literally) films!

6 Likes

So get this—a show involving (mainly) three puppets made of household items, one a bit of a lazy prankster, one that thinks himself a ladies man, and one a bit…slow, making fun of pop culture in the 90’s. They also sing lots of songs.

But it’s not what you’re thinking …it’s Sifl & Olly!![corner|125x91] On MTV! (upload://6qST0APN40HZdFRJuNFNVLEulNE.gif)

5 Likes

Welcome, fellow Alphan; there’s a few of us here. :grin: What color’s your sleeve? (I’d love to say gold, but truthfully I’m probably more of a yellow.)

3 Likes

You sir, are crescent fresh.

Side note, they brought the show back briefly on YouTube. Dunno if it’s still up on The Nerdist channel, though.

6 Likes

Absolutely adore Jeremy Brett as Sherlock!

2 Likes

LOVE pushing daisies…but not as much as the first bryan fuller show i saw called “wonderfalls”

and i know a lot of fans of his other series “dead like me” too

8 Likes

hatchi matchi! love the critic and duckman!

in addition to garth marengi’s dark place, have to thank classic adult swim for introducing me to the oblongs, the brak show, mission hill and home movies

and not so much niche as still love as much as the first time i watched them

-farscape
-cougar town
-little britain
-kim’s convenience

8 Likes

Well I really love Nelvana’s early stuff because it is decidedly weird and I love the vibe, but my absolute fave is “Rock & Rule” (1983). The soundtrack includes Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Debbie Harry, Earth Wind & Fire and Cheap Trick.
I’ve watched it so often I can recite every line along with the show.
[Edit: There are two versions of this show. The Canadian (original) and the American which has a different voice for the male lead (Omar) and different incidental music throughout. (also no swearing) The Canadian version is superior.]

I’m also a big fan of Jan Svankmajer’s work. People usually say “Alice” is their favorite from him but my personal favorite is “Faust” (1994) I’ve probably watched that movie a hundred times.

Love video games like the Monkey Island Series, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle. Remember those? But my all time favorite has to be “Ripper” 1996. A full cinematic, point and click murder mystery game with a cast that includes Christopher Walken (!) Burgess Meredith, Karen Allen, David Patrick Kelly, Ossie Davis, John Rhys-Davies, David Thornton, Jimmie Walker and Paul Giamatti! Created by Take2. It even had four different endings that it would randomly choose from each time you started.

After Ripper I’d have to say “Bioshock” 1 & 2 are my go-to games. Not a huge fan of the third installment. I prefer Ryan’s haunted sunken city. The atmosphere of that place is so perfect. I’ve played it through dozens of times.

6 Likes

Same! It came out when I was 11, and had to tape every episode because I was always at church.

6 Likes

@Lesley @LadyStarblade SeaQuest!! I loved that back in the day and I used to tape it on VHS every week. I haven’t watched it in forever and I wonder how I’ll feel about it now?

5 Likes