Your Most Niche Fandom

I’ve become a big fan of Many A True Nerd’s playthroughs of the Fallout games. He’s had “Kill Everything” runs, “Kill Nothing” and attempted “You Only Live Once” were he doesn’t allow himself to heal through the whole game. AND is pretty entertaining at it.

4 Likes

One of my treasured possessions are my Laserdisc copies of the original Star Wars trilogy. They went from Laserdisc to VHS, then transferred to DVD. I REFUSE to loan them out, since it’s getting harder to find the version that Lucas hasn’t wiped with himself.

10 Likes

oooooooooooh! sounds cool!

3 Likes

Yes, it is. Just one of many brain farts on this sleep-deprived weekend.

4 Likes

I’ve watched the series twice—still have no idea what’s going on. Reminded me a little of Northern Exposure meets X-Files.

5 Likes

Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.

4 Likes

3 Likes

One of the most challenging things about writing our 1970s version is making sure we’re getting the prices right. I ended up learning a lot about fuel prices in the north east US in 1977 because we had to have Kari get gas for an investigation in NYC.

3 Likes

OK so does anyone remember when you bought the collected works book, in like 1985 or something, it came with one of those square floppy records in the back, of Billy and the Boingers music? (U stink but I love U and I’m a Boinger, as I recall… )
I bet my parents still have that in their house somewhere.

11 Likes

I love Lovecraft’s works! I don’t know if I’ve read everything ,but I’ve read a ton. And several of those other authors y’all mentioned. I know I’m late to the party but when I answer “What have you been reading?” with “early 20th century short stories”, people just smile and nod :sweat_smile:

So, you know, if people were inclined to be discussing Lovecraft stories, and maybe Clark Ashton Smith and Blackwood and Machen… I’d be down!

6 Likes

Yep. Can confirm. I have two copies, one loose, one still in the book. :wink:

7 Likes

It was the Golden Age of the short story! First half of the century, I’d say. Not just horror, but the golden age of SF, of pulp generally, of the “literary” short. People could (and did!) make a living writing them for magazines.

Er, you probably knew all that… climbs down off soapbox

6 Likes

I remember listening to “U Stink But I Love U” once. It has a tuba sola, IIRC.

6 Likes

I also confirm. I’m pretty sure I still have mine. As I recall it has U Stink But I Love You on it.

5 Likes

Anyone else a fan of The Katering Show? They made the whole thing of a shoestring in an AirBnB place. After this they got a proper broadcast deal, parodying daytime TV, but I don’t like it as much. Warning - some salty language.

3 Likes

“Little Augie” Derleth is not my choice for either editing or writing. I’m more of an S.T. Joshi person.
HPL did apparently admire Blackwood as well as John Buchan.
Cthulhu, of course, is an entirely different business; HPL called these tales “Yog-Sothothery.” If I were to pick a Great Old One to “follow,” it would be Shub-Niggurath.
If you feel like laughing at some silliness, check out “The Unspeakable Vault of Doom” on the internets.

5 Likes

Is anyone else here a fan of Time Team? Apart from MST3K it’s my favorite TV show ever. It’s a British non-fiction show where archaeologists have three days to explore a location with interesting history or previous finds. It’s hosted by Blackadder’s Baldrick, Tony Robinson.

Here’s a random episode. They’re all good.

Apparently they’re making some new content for YouTube soon!

8 Likes

Okay, I got two more…

Buster Keaton! The International Buster Keaton Society ( aka. the Damfinos–pronounced as if you’re saying “damn if I know”) are having their annual convention online this year October 2 and 3, and it’s free! Sign up on their website busterkeaton.org. The group is literally run by his family and the families of people who worked with him. The love is palpable.

Nathan Barnatt! I only recently learned his name after seeing him in gifs and commercials for years. He’s been compared to Buster, and recently filmed some comedy for the Damfinos. The Dad Feels series is the best in the universes. Keith Apicary is sheer madness. It’s another great group of supportive and positive fans that really want him to succeed. Watch his videos and see if you can find a familiar face. Enjoy a Dad bop!

5 Likes

FISH!

7 Likes

It’s in my to-watch queue! Roughly 200 of my friends and family have told me I need to see this, and I swear I’ll get there!

5 Likes