Your MST3K Venn Diagram

By nature, MST3K creates so many mini-Venn Diagram circles by touching on personal interest topics, obscure riffs, music, artist collaborations, or riffing offshoots. Shoot, “your” pop culture. Your Venn Diagram probably is so defined that it feels personal.

My circles: MST3K, Rifftrax, Weird Al, the band ‘Sparks’

Explaining each of those mini-circles is tedious. Maybe your circles are too?

This came to mind given that Rifftrax will riff ‘Rad,’ a film that features Sparks on the soundtrack, a band that is the subject of a documentary that interviews both Weird Al and Patton Oswalt, and a band that has been riffed on MST3K episodes. Feels niche?

Where do your MST3K Venn Diagram circles converge that makes it feel very personal for you?

5 Likes

Ooh, this is quite thought-provoking. I’ll probably change my answer over time, but my first attempt would have MST3K, the Midwest (specifically Wisconsin), 80s nostalgia, and family as my circles. (Un)Fortunately, that puts Mac & Me and Munchie firmly in my wheelhouse.

5 Likes

I would put all of those in my circles except my family (and not specifically Wisconsin for the midwest), since only my wife and I are fans. I would also add Monty Python and the Firesign Theater in those circles.

4 Likes

This is such a great question. Dave Barry immediately springs to mind; I read a ton of him in the late 80s and early 90s and suspect I’m not alone.

R.E.M. is my favorite band, and I’ve often heard it referred to as “music for nerds,” which… yup.

And of course we have to mention everything that ran alongside it on Comedy Central back in the heyday - Kids in the Hall, The Critic, The Tick, Ab Fab

ETA that another musician I really like, Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, also has at least one prominent MSTie fan.

6 Likes

Oh gosh, this too - I grew up in Chicago, went to the University of Wisconsin and lived in the Twin Cities for six years.

3 Likes

I love Dave Barry, but is there really a Venn diagram crossover between him and MST3K?

Incidentally, Dave Barry Does Japan is probably the best book on culture shock ever written.

3 Likes

I guess the comic sensibility has always seemed similar to me? Like, I’d bet good money that Mike Nelson also read a lot of Dave Barry back in the day.

4 Likes

I’ll zoom it out to humor writing in general, 70s pop culture, and kaiju.

5 Likes

I guess I can add NBC Mystery Movie to my Venn diagram, because I love Columbo and Quincy, M.E.

5 Likes

Then you must watch Poker Face on Peacock. It’s both unique and very much like Columbo, down to the 70’s font used for the title.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I do not subscribe to Peacock, but that sounds like fun.

Well, don’t let them hear this, but all eps of the first season are out, so you could mabye get a free trial and binge them. Best show in it’s category for decades. And stars in each episode, even ones you’d never see again otherwise.

1 Like

Well, he has hosted some MST3K and Rifftrax movies on The Movie Channel and TNT.

diana prince no GIF

I really enjoyed Poker Face! Highly recommend, as well!

1 Like