701. Night of the Blood Beast (1958)

The Steves came out fairly well in a question for the ages.

3 Likes

Same. The whole point of Dr. Forresterā€™s interaction with this version of Pearl is to see another side of him, not to mention how he got to be such a emotional trainwreck. It probably wouldnā€™t have worked for 3-4 entire seasons, but itā€™s still funny.

Very fond of Stuffing v. Potatoes, too.

As for the movie itself, itā€™s hard for me to explain but it makes me genuinely angry, in a way that few other turkeys weā€™ve ingested do. (Kitten With A Whip would be another.) Part of it is just the absolute limpness and lack of interest from everyone involved. Nobody seems invested. Everyone is just sleepwalking while they think about that paycheck. Also, itā€™s a really ambitious idea when you get down to it: a supposedly manly guy has to cope with having kids, essentially. But the script canā€™t even get to a Rabbit Test level of awkward and slightly risque sitcom-isms. Much less offer any insight into why these squarest of square humans would find this more ā€œalienā€ than the aliens themselves. It just sits there and looks at its watch.

The riffs arenā€™t bad, though. Gottaā€™ love, ā€œYou marry the whole familyā€ and the stuff related to that. Also, every jab at the obviously heavily-sedated Barbieā„¢ Foe-Toe-Graph-Er is gold.

6 Likes

Steve?

5 Likes

ā€œHad to trust somebody not named Steve.ā€

4 Likes

Stuffing vs Potatoes.

5 Likes

You and me both. Itā€™s as if a Gene Kelly movie and The Donna Reed Show had a baby. Speaking of babiesā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

A History and Review of Night of the Blood Beast (1958).

1 Like

Uh, ā€œLove makes our conspicuous consumption grow stronger.ā€

Or something like that.

2 Likes

701T or GTFO! :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

You HAVE to have the Turkey Day bumpers for Night of the Blood Beast.

The episode simply isnā€™t complete without Pearlā€™s Turkey Surpriseā„¢!

6 Likes

Anywho, love this episode.

The short is so out-and-out bizarre that itā€™s practically a winner from the get-go. I remember Mikeā€™s official website write-up for the short from the Satellite News website, and his words on the matter echo my feelings about Traceā€™s riffs over the bespectacled angel guy:

ā€œThe memory I will take with me from this whole show is that of Trace in the writing room doing his killer Charles Nelson Reilly whenever the angel in Once Upon a Honeymoon appeared onscreen. If he had done it 4000 times, it wouldnā€™t have been enough for me.ā€

https://www.mst3kinfo.com/guide/ep701.html

Granted, the short never gets as absurdly dark as the Union Pacific shorts, but itā€™s still so damn weird that you have to love what the gang does with it. The ā€œEverybody Was Kung Fu Writingā€ riff was a hoot, as was: ā€œHereā€™s how far Iā€™ve gotten: LAAAA.ā€ And then thereā€™s how miserable the songwriter looked, leading to that riff about him pulling his own head off.

AND THEN THEREā€™S SERVO WITH THE PIANO PLAYING ā€œBANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!ā€ RIFF

Just gold all the way around.

7 Likes

As for the movie? Itā€™s thoroughly Corman-ized, and itā€™s terrific like that.

Just inept and laughable, yet somehow engrossing and absorbing, which is what you want from an MST3K movie. Something thatā€™s terrible, but not repellent.

The Planet of the Steves running gag is sublime, but my favorite thing about the episode is the ventriloquizing of Donna, the somewhat dim-looking space agency technician. A riff that sticks with me?

Donna, referring to a photo: ā€œHereā€™s something to complicate things even more.ā€
Crow as Donna: ā€œI took these upside-down!ā€

Another gold riff from Crow as Donna at some random juncture: ā€œUm, if youā€™re looking for that one thing, Barb found it!ā€

Just terrific.

I also love how we saw the monster before in Teenage Caveman. The parrot noises over the monster? Perfecto, as are the riffs about the grumpy old guy: ā€œGod, Iā€™m in a funk.ā€

I donā€™t have it held up as the best episode of Season 7, but itā€™s a big part of why Season 7 is one of the seriesā€™s strongest.

7 Likes

Whereā€™d you meet her?

3 Likes

Seeing 701 both ways. The Thanksgiving 701 rubs me as superior. Why did Comedy Central and Best Brains re-do it? So Blood Beast (1958) wasnā€™t so holiday-centric?

6 Likes

5 Likes

ā€œDonna omitted for clarity.ā€

As someone who played baritone/euphonium from elementary school through collegeā€“and also added tuba along the wayā€“I wince every time Pearl whacks the trombone while Dr. F is playing. Poor, poor Trace. Those mouthpieces are no joke.

I need to reacquaint myself with the Turkey Day host segments. At least Trace doesnā€™t bleed.

7 Likes

Another season 7 classic! It starts with the awesome short! One of the best of the CC era! The feature carries the momentum. Corman always brought out the best in them. The pregnant Crow segment is a favorite of mine. Trace carries the skit. The ending where they keep making the parrot squawk always has me in stitches!

3 Likes

I met her, and the entire cast, at a Cinematic Titanic event. We were the last in line, it was late, and Mary Jo was the last to sign for us. Of course she was gracious, but she also looked tired, so it was basically, ā€œHi, howā€™ya doinā€™, bye!ā€

I got to spend a bit more time with Joel and Frank, but not much. The best part was hanging out in the line with Gruber for a while.

4 Likes

I played trumpet, and I think we had one of the smallest mouthpieces for brass, the french horn was a bit smaller. But yeah, that could not have felt good, and you can tell Trace is actually trying to play the horn. I was also in marching band, and there is nothing worse than a cold mouthpiece smacking you in the mouth when you step in a pothole.

5 Likes

Another really good episode. Not quite a classic, but definitely one to check out when/if one can.

3 Likes